Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Quick Question about Pre-ordering Alien: Isolation

iBushido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So Alien: Isolation is coming out soon and I was considering pre-ordering it on Steam (my preferred way to buy games) so I can get the bonus DLC, but I read that there is a 2nd DLC chapter if you pre-order from Gamestop. So I was wondering if I pre-order it from Gamestop, do they just give you a Steam key? Is it just a normal execute file you have to open by itself (not through a client)?

If it's not a Steam key, would I be able to add the game to my Steam library and get achievements and all that?

Built my first gaming PC about a year and a half ago and so far have only used Steam, so I'm totally unfamiliar with buying PC games retail and how it works. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BisonHero

I mean, if Alien: Isolation has Steam ahcievements built into it, it means the devs have put some amount of time into Steamworks integration, which usually means that the devs have just fully opted into using Steam for patching, achievements, etc., to the point that the retail copies essentially use Steam as their copy protection and actually require you to use Steam in case the game needs to patch. For example, Civilization V retail copies made you install Steam for authentication and patching and all that.

All that being said, I have no idea about the specifics of this game. Isolation may or may not do what I just described. Call up your local Gamestop, and ask them what exactly they hand out to people that preorder (you'd hope they at least know whether it's a Steam code, or some other kind of code). If they sound like an idiot who just makes up an answer to a question they don't understand (some employees are good, some are console-only gamers who have no idea how Steam interacts with retail, some are just idiots), try asking for the manager or calling another store.

Also, I dunno man, maybe just wait for the reviews on that game? Like, yeah, you'll get the DLC "for free" by preordering, but if that turns out to be the thing that tricks you into getting a game that is super flawed (unfortunately), I don't think you'll really come out ahead on that transaction. That DLC will get released for sale later anyways. I guess you could always put $5 down, wait until reviews hit, then not follow through on the preorder if it sounds like it really didn't end being a good game.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ezekiel

I considered pre-ordering this for the bonus campaign, but the classic characters look like wax and I'm not really fond of games trying to replicate movies. It won't compare to the movie. I'm kind of glad, since I won't have to risk buying a bad game. The main campaign looks delicious, though. I didn't pay attention to this game until a few days ago because I thought all the sequels to the original film were improper. But it looks like the devs understand what made Ridley Scott's film great.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Corevi

Anytime you buy a PC game physically all that's in the box is an install disc and a little card with a steam key on it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I concur with BisonHero, top to bottom.

iBushido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iBushido

Yeah, I never fall into the pre-order pits of despair, but for this one time, I kinda have to do it. It looks really good, lots of people I trust had a ton of good things to say about it after it demo'd at E3, and I'm such a huge fan of the movies that being able to walk around in the Nostromo and see the original crew with the original actors (mostly) doing the voices is just too good to miss out on. I know it'll come out later, but since I'm dirt poor, I would rather pre-order and save myself the 10 or 15 bucks it'll cost to get that stuff later on. I also want it right away, because I plan to stream it on Twitch.

Believe me, in any other situation I'd recommend against pre-ordering anything, but this is probably the one time I have to be one of "those people" and make a stupid choice.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ll_Exile_ll
    BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me either. The only people buying PC games at retail are people buying The Sims. Or I guess Blizzard games, since I tend to see those still sitting around at retail? Or maybe they've just been sitting there for years. I bet Blizzard games move copies, though.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Corevi
    @bisonhero said:

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me either. The only people buying PC games at retail are people buying The Sims. Or I guess Blizzard games, since I tend to see those still sitting around at retail? Or maybe they've just been sitting there for years. I bet Blizzard games move copies, though.

People who don't play videogames tend to get boxed PC games for people who do. I always get 1-3 from my family for Christmas/Birthday.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil said:

@bisonhero said:

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me either. The only people buying PC games at retail are people buying The Sims. Or I guess Blizzard games, since I tend to see those still sitting around at retail? Or maybe they've just been sitting there for years. I bet Blizzard games move copies, though.

People who don't play videogames tend to get boxed PC games for people who do. I always get 1-3 from my family for Christmas/Birthday.

Ah, good point. I always expect relatives to buy console games, because that way they avoid the risk of "oh no, you bought a game my computer can't run for some reason". But hey, good on your family for buying them for you.

iBushido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can pre-order the download version on gamestop's website, and if you notice at the bottom of the page it says it requires the steam client to play. I don't actually think they are doing a physical PC version.

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/alien-isolation-nostromo-edition/113765

Dude! Thank you. I was on that same page and I guess I missed that part. Thanks for pointing it out. I would have probably never noticed.

As for the family stuff you guys were talking about, I just tell everyone I want gift cards if they ask me what I want. Best Buy, Amazon, Steam, etc. Can't go wrong that way. One year my girlfriend's mom wanted to get me stuff for Christmas and she found out I liked video games. You could tell she went straight to the bargain bin. She got me 3 PS2 games. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Syphon Filter: Omega Strain, and some medieval type game that was so bad I don't even remember the name of it. From that point on, "GIFT CARDS," is what I say every year. It only backfired once when I ended up with like $50 of Wii Points cards and $25 for iTunes. Forgot to be specific about which gift cards. =/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.