Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Ridiculous Prices in Australia

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By inkerman

In Australia we're used to getting fucked over for prices on games. When a game is $60 in the US it'll probably be upwards of $90 here in Australia. MW2 was $100 at release here in Australia, and by then I think our dollar was at parity with the American, and it is now above the American dollar, yet games here are still hideously expensive. But that was always retail. Looking at people complain about the price for Skyrim on Steam today ($60US) I saw that Skyrim was $89.99US on our Australian steam store, and realised that even Steam was fucking us over. Theoretically there should be no extra costs for us over the Americans, as there is no transportation costs or import duties on downloaded games (I would assume). 

Then I found these gems in $US; 

Modern Warfare 2 on the US Steam store = $29.99 
    Australian Steam Store = $89.99 (I shit you not)

Medal of Honor US = $19.99 
    AUS = $69.99 

RAGE 
    US = $59.99 
    AUS = $89.99 

I know it may be the publisher's fault or something, but WHAT THE FUCK? Why are we paying upwards of 50% more for our games!?

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mwng

It also sucks as you get the same release dates as Europe.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By scarace360

Sucks man. Maybe move.

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RaikohBlade

Well, the solution to that problem is simple. Just come over here and live in the US! 

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Bollard

Sour.

Bloopa79Aus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Bloopa79Aus

I am not going to buy them that is how I vote with my money 
    i saw some web sites that you can get them cheap from but it takes a while to get em shipped 

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rhaknar

its the same in europe, usually something that costs 50bucks also costs 50euros, when we know it should be like 35 or something if the conversion was right.  Sucks but you can always get around it.

trati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By trati

Well if you compare to the US these prices may seem high. But in Europe new games cost 60 EUR that's 85 USD if you believe this site http://www.xe.com I guess games are just cheaper in the US. 

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By RIDEBIRD

It's the same fucking thing here in Europe and it is truly terrible. I buy everything at G2play.net, which sell asian versions of games for about half the price - the price they should be, and the american price. I don't really care how much of that money actually reach the developer, because I simply refuse to buy a game at 50 euros when the american version is 50 dollars. Also, you get the games on Steam in most cases.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By mrfizzy

@Inkerman said:

In Australia we're used to getting fucked over for prices on games. When a game is $60 in the US it'll probably be upwards of $90 here in Australia. MW2 was $100 at release here in Australia, and by then I think our dollar was at parity with the American, and it is now above the American dollar, yet games here are still hideously expensive. But that was always retail. Looking at people complain about the price for Skyrim on Steam today ($60US) I saw that Skyrim was $89.99US on our Australian steam store, and realised that even Steam was fucking us over. Theoretically there should be no extra costs for us over the Americans, as there is no transportation costs or import duties on downloaded games (I would assume). Then I found these gems in $US; Modern Warfare 2 on the US Steam store = $29.99 Australian Steam Store = $89.99 (I shit you not) Medal of Honor US = $19.99 AUS = $69.99 RAGE US = $59.99 AUS = $89.99 I know it may be the publisher's fault or something, but WHAT THE FUCK? Why are we paying upwards of 50% more for our games!?

Dude Steam has nothing to do with it, in order to sell the games here they need to agree with existing publishing contracts etc. It doesn't mean it isn't a rip, of course it is but just do what 90% of Aussies do and order online from overseas. Personally i use thehut.com.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By probablytuna

Couldn't agree more OP. I just pre-ordered Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition from Ozgameshop for $49 as opposed to $99 from retailers. If it arrives safe and sound, I will probably shop more often from that website.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By korwin

I bypass region detection with a proxy... side steps both regional price gouging and censorship. Annoying hoop to jump through but worth the extra time.

Edit: Typo

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#13  Edited By wefwefasdf

$90 for Modern Warfare 2? That is just wrong.

ZombieSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ZombieSpace

Yeah it kinda sucks paying about 110$ per game when they are new, have not bought a game for my xbox since Red Dead and Alan Wake.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Red12b
    @SpikeSpiegel said:

In new zealand EB games tried to get away with selling Blops standard edition, Standard, no extras, just the game, for one hundred and fifty dollars. 

$150!

The JB Hi-Fi across the street was selling it for $80 

$150!....

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    @Red12b said:
    @SpikeSpiegel said:

In new zealand EB games tried to get away with selling Blops standard edition, Standard, no extras, just the game, for one hundred and fifty dollars. 

$150!

$150!....

Do people actually pay that much?  And how much did the prestige edition cost?  (It was $150 here in the US)
    Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Devoid

@Red12b: $150? WHAT

Jesus Christ, that's ridiculous. But yeah, game prices here are stupid high for no real reason. It's mainly just EB games being able to get away with it, I guess.

I'll almost always get games online now, but if I want to get something on release day, I go to JB Hi-Fi.

And isn't Steam's pricing some legal BS between itself and the retail stores? Like they're not allowed to charge what they want to or something.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Red12b
    @PeasantAbuse said:
    @Red12b said:
    @SpikeSpiegel said:

$150!

$150!....

Do people actually pay that much?  And how much did the prestige edition cost?  (It was $150 here in the US)
    I hope not, I was in the store and saw a mother and her 15 year old kid talking a bout the game, I told them to go to JB hi-fi, 

fucking hate EB games. I think it's the equivalent to your gamestop. 
    PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    @Red12b: Yeah I think all of the EB Games here turned into Gamestops, but I could be wrong.  Good on you for letting those people know about the other store, $150 for standard Black Ops is fucking outrageous.
    mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By mrfizzy

@Red12b said:

@PeasantAbuse said:
    @Red12b said:
    @SpikeSpiegel said:

$150!

$150!....

Do people actually pay that much? And how much did the prestige edition cost? (It was $150 here in the US)
    I hope not, I was in the store and saw a mother and her 15 year old kid talking a bout the game, I told them to go to JB hi-fi, fucking hate EB games. I think it's the equivalent to your gamestop.

Yeah it isn't just like Gamestop, it IS Gamestop, exact same company just trading under a different name. As for buying games at retail, thank god for JB Hifi is all i can say.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By TobbRobb

In Sweden a new console game goes for $110. $90 if I'm lucky. And steam games go for $70.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Elazul
    @Rhaknar said:
    its the same in europe, usually something that costs 50bucks also costs 50euros, when we know it should be like 35 or something if the conversion was right.  Sucks but you can always get around it.
    @Ertard said:

It's the same fucking thing here in Europe and it is truly terrible. I buy everything at G2play.net, which sell asian versions of games for about half the price - the price they should be, and the american price. I don't really care how much of that money actually reach the developer, because I simply refuse to buy a game at 50 euros when the american version is 50 dollars. Also, you get the games on Steam in most cases.

Man, is that shit STILL going on in Europe? I'm in the UK and most new 360 and PS3 games can be found for £40 now, which is pretty much on par with american pricing (£40 = $65 as of today, and our prices include tax unlike the US). Hell, I got Mortal Kombat the day before it came out for £28.99, which is about 15 bucks less than American pricing.
    Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gargantuan
    @TobbRobb said:

In Sweden a new console game goes for $110. $90 if I'm lucky. And steam games go for $70.

But prices has been stable here for a long time, it's just that the US dollar is worthless right now.
    TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By TobbRobb
    @Gargantuan: Yes, I'm not really complaining, I'm used to the prices by now "and I have enough money to support frequent gamepurchase", it's just hard no to be a little jealous of what Americans seem to believe is the insurmountable $60.
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tebbit

@Red12b said:

@PeasantAbuse said:
    @Red12b said:
    @SpikeSpiegel said:

$150!

$150!....

Do people actually pay that much? And how much did the prestige edition cost? (It was $150 here in the US)
    I hope not, I was in the store and saw a mother and her 15 year old kid talking a bout the game, I told them to go to JB hi-fi, fucking hate EB games. I think it's the equivalent to your gamestop.

I remember seeing that, it's shocking! MW2 standard edition costing $129 - $139 (PC / console) was bad enough but $150 was just ridiculous. Especially when every other retailer - like Dick Smith, JB, Mighty Ape were all selling it for significantly cheaper.

It was at that stage that I realised EB Games is selling games to people who are idiots, and I didn't want to be part of that.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By RIDEBIRD

@Elazul: Yes, and I'm in Sweden as the other two guys below me are. I don't play console games, which I'm quite happy for, since there would be no way of getting around the stupid prices. Thanks to globalization and shady Singaporean (?) webshops I can get retail Asian games that are scanned and just download it.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#27  Edited By Legend

Edit: lol, mobile site just messed up my post. I had to come to the full site on my laptop to edit it.

I think the best thing to do is stop buying games that are overpriced, and encourage other fellow Australian gamers not to buy them. If you keep buying them, they'll keep screwing you over. Simple as that.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

The prices are set by the publishers. Steam has nothing to do with them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.