Shit, my Steam account got hijacked. I need your help!

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by JJOR64 (19693 posts) -

Just like the title says, some bastard on the internet stole my account.  I need to provide and CD Key, but all the Steam games I have are from the online store.  Can anyone here help me?  What should I do?

EDIT:  If you receive a chat invite from some one with "gift" in the text, DON'T CLICK IT!  Aaox and myself have gotten our accounts hijacked.

EDIT 2:  
There seems to be about ten hijacked accounts floating around on the Giantbomb Steamgroups, so If you are in one of the groups:

Don't click on any link which promises free games and don't enter your login info into any Website that looks like a Steam website but have a different URL.

There was some rumor about a keylogger to, so a scan with your anti-malware software of choice would not be a bad idea. 
#2 Posted by Driadon (3253 posts) -

Valve is great for this: contact support. They will IP check and block the guy who did it and return your steam account to you. One of my friends had this happen to him and got his account back in less then an hour after sending off the first email.

#3 Posted by FunExplosions (5534 posts) -

Damn. Did you call 'em yet? Usually if you call 'em you could just tell them your address and credit card # and everything will be cool. They should have your previous card # in their database, even if this new guy erased it. Other than that, I wish I could offer more help.

#4 Edited by Alexander (1760 posts) -

Sorry dude, you're fucked :( happened to a friend of mine. 

Ooooor, what's that Driadon? news to me, do what that guy says.

Avatar image for thecappuccinobandit
#5 Posted by TheCappuccinoBandit (303 posts) -

How did it happen?

#6 Posted by JJOR64 (19693 posts) -
@FunExplosions: Where can I find there number at?
#7 Posted by FunExplosions (5534 posts) -
@JJOR64: Don't know. Check the site's bottom bar near all that terms and agreement crap. There might also be a support section on the site.
#8 Posted by turbomonkey138 (5288 posts) -

Yea i keep on getting spammed by my friends on steam . They hacked half of the GB community group members

#9 Posted by Kazona (3399 posts) -
#10 Edited by timay (198 posts) -

The only issue you might run into is if they get you vac banned because valve wont unban you.

#11 Posted by Forcen (2541 posts) -

I heard about a keylogger, where did it come from?

#12 Posted by JJOR64 (19693 posts) -

I just sent them an email about it with the games I bought and with my card info.  I hope it works.  :(

#13 Posted by John_Martone (35 posts) -

Oh man, that blows dude. I hope it works out.

#14 Edited by Forcen (2541 posts) -
#15 Posted by JJOR64 (19693 posts) -
@Forcen: I did send them a ticket.
#16 Posted by Forcen (2541 posts) -
@JJOR64: Ah, you said email.
#17 Posted by Aaox (1674 posts) -
@JJOR64: My account was jacked, too. What is happening here? Where are the decent people.
#18 Posted by Sil3n7 (1509 posts) -

Happened to me too like 2 years ago :( Never got my games back, so I re bought them all

#19 Posted by ch13696 (4760 posts) -

I just got mine hijacked. It sucks. It sent me to the community site. I logged in to see what was going on and then left. Then I saw a message saying that someone else logged into my account. I tried logging back in and it wouldn't let me. So I submitted a ticket with a snapshot of one of my CD keys and gave them my card into (just exp date, name on card, and last 4 digits). I'm also going to contact my bank and let them know whats going on. I'm probably going to have to get a new card. Its going to suck cause it takes 2 weeks to get and I have Netflix running on it.

#20 Posted by Daryl (1776 posts) -

I wouldn't say sending off an email with your card details is the best approach lol. 

#21 Posted by JJOR64 (19693 posts) -
@Aaox said:
" @JJOR64: My account was jacked, too. What is happening here? Where are the decent people. "
Yes.  I seen that chat from you and I clicked it.  Thanks a lot.  Haha.

@Daryl said:
" I wouldn't say sending off an email with your card details is the best approach lol.  "

That's what it said to do on their support page.
#22 Posted by JJOR64 (19693 posts) -
@Forcen: Yeah, my bad.  This is the first time I've sent them a "ticket" so I'm new with this stuff.
#23 Posted by Aaox (1674 posts) -
@JJOR64: Shit, you mean they're using my account to get you guys? DO NOT TRUST MY ACCOUNT. I can't even log in to send them a damn ticket. This is not going well... 
#24 Posted by Fallen189 (5453 posts) -

Try getting in touch with support.

#25 Posted by Forcen (2541 posts) -

There seems to be about ten hijacked accounts floating around on the Giantbomb Steamgroups, so If you are in one of the groups:

Don't click on any link which promises free games and don't enter your login info into any Website that looks like a Steam website but have a different URL.

There was some rumor about a keylogger to, so a scan with your anti-malware software of choice would not be a bad idea.
#26 Posted by roylink (142 posts) -

Let me guess, you entered that chat with a user called "giftfreegame". I just denied his chat but it seems like he is attacking everyone in the GiantBomb.com unofficial Steam group.

#27 Posted by timay (198 posts) -
@Aaox:   The support account is a different account then your steam account. You might need to make one on steam support
#28 Posted by neoepoch (1317 posts) -

So are they targeting members of the Giant Bomb Steam Community?
I guess it is too late for a few of you, but here are a few tips.
Make sure you never give your passy out.
And if someone sends you a link that asks for a login and passy, DO NOT ENTER THEM. Be cautious, even on your browser when you log in.

#29 Posted by ch13696 (4760 posts) -

Apparently, you need to watch out for a request to start a chat from one of the group users. I got 2 from the leader and some guy name AouX. I thought it was legit since it was from people I know. So I accepted and then a chat window came up with the website. And thats when I got hit.

#30 Posted by Alexander (1760 posts) -
@JJOR64:  Was this a result of key logging or being silly entering usernames and passwords in the wrong places? Next time do yourself a favour and read our beloved forums!
#31 Posted by JJOR64 (19693 posts) -
@Forcen said:
" There seems to be about ten hijacked accounts floating around on the Giantbomb Steamgroups, so If you are in one of the groups:

There was some rumor about a keylogger to, so a scan with your anti-malware software of choice would not be a bad idea. "
I just put this in my OP.
#32 Posted by ch13696 (4760 posts) -
@neoepoch said:
" So are they targeting members of the Giant Bomb Steam Community? I guess it is too late for a few of you, but here are a few tips. Make sure you never give your passy out. And if someone sends you a link that asks for a login and passy, DO NOT ENTER THEM. Be cautious, even on your browser when you log in. "
That's the problem. That link sends you to an exact copy of the steam community site. Even the URL is the same. So that's where it fooled me. I thought that it was going to be in one the users comments on the group site.
#33 Posted by Forcen (2541 posts) -

The website is now flagged for Phishing in Google Chrome and Firefox, there is now a big red warning when you enter it.

But how did you guys managed to get fooled? The URL was clearly not a Steam website. The site itself says nothing about free games.

#34 Posted by ch13696 (4760 posts) -

Ok so I just got 2 email from steam requesting to change the email and password. I'm not going to do this until I get a confirmation from my submitted ticket. This could be the phisers work.

#36 Posted by neoepoch (1317 posts) -
@ch13696: I've heard about people spoofing URLs and the such to get these accounts. I always am a little fishy about stuff so I don't access things like that. But I wonder, how are we able to spot these fakes, or defend against these fuckers?
#37 Posted by AjayRaz (12898 posts) -

phew, I almost clicked that link that I got from Aaox :| 
I wasn't interested in it, but i'm glad that I didn't. 

#38 Posted by Arzen (98 posts) -

This happened to me a few months ago.  I immediately filed a ticket with Valve and logged onto my fiances Steam account to find myself online.  I proceeded to flip out on the person on my account.  It turned out it was someone who bought the account.  $40 for over 70 games.  He thought it was too good to be true and it was.  He felt terrible about it, though, and we even went so far as to contact the guy who sold him the account.  Unfortunately, he claimed to have traded for the account and didn't know who the original thief was (I don't really trust that story, though).  In the end, the guy who bought my account went and changed all the info back for me, and as soon as I was in control again I changed my secret question and password to a more secure password (I originally had a not-very-strong pw.  It was all numbers and I figure it was brute forced). 

So you might try getting on another account and trying to talk to whoever is in control of your account.  They might just be an unwitting buyer in the grand scheme of things, so try to be nice (I failed at this initially.  Hoo boy, the opening of my conversation with the buyer of my account was...colorful, to say the least).

#39 Posted by Forcen (2541 posts) -
@neoepoch: The real Steam community Site has a green Signed Encryption thing in the address bar that says Valve Corporation if you use Firefox or IE.

Look for yourselves: https://steamcommunity.com/
#40 Posted by Kohe321 (3569 posts) -

I would send them an email as already stated in the thread. Best of luck dude.

#41 Posted by Snail (8908 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
"

"
Okay then, let me ask you a question mate.
Did you happen to do such an idiocy?
How exactly did you get your account highjacked?
Just curious.
#42 Posted by ch13696 (4760 posts) -
@neoepoch said:
" @ch13696: I've heard about people spoofing URLs and the such to get these accounts. I always am a little fishy about stuff so I don't access things like that. But I wonder, how are we able to spot these fakes, or defend against these fuckers? "
I don't know. I heard about ones that you google for also. Like, let's say that I decide to google for the Steam website. And I decide to choose the top one (www.steampowered.com). Come to find out that that's a phishing site. What I'm saying is that there are times that phishers use Google to catch people too. It's sad.
#43 Posted by ch13696 (4760 posts) -

I just want my account back. I have soooooo many games on there. I think I'm gonna cry.

#44 Posted by Forcen (2541 posts) -
#45 Posted by ch13696 (4760 posts) -
@Forcen: Ok cool. Do you know if they'll send me an email on what I need to do? Or will I just get my old login and password back?
#46 Posted by Forcen (2541 posts) -
@ch13696: They will send you an email with a new password and secret question.
Avatar image for the_atomic_dumpling
#47 Edited by atomic_dumpling (2579 posts) -

They give you an all-new password and I strongly suggest to validate your e-Mail adress once everything is back to normal. They will send you an E-Mail with all the info you need.

My account was hacked once, most likely via a steam emulator I used because the offline-mode was not working properly. That's what you get for using such illegal tools, I guess.

#48 Posted by Seedofpower (4084 posts) -

Man, I feel bad for you JJ064. I don't know what I'll do without my Steam account.

#49 Posted by turbomonkey138 (5288 posts) -

Dont worry . we had a spammer infiltrate our steam group . But i dealt with it . Now you should be spam free . The group is private now

#50 Posted by Aaox (1674 posts) -

That 'free games!' got me, too. Absolute bull. I feel like an Idiot. DAMN... INTERNET HACKER GANGS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.