Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steam Keeps Closing

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By matpaget

So I just got home and Steam keeps closing for some reason. It usually happens when I go to a game's page, but it stopped when I went to the STALKER page a second time. Eventually it closed on The Binding of Isaac page again.

Is this just one of Steam's quirks that will work itself out? I've already looked at the programs that may interfere with Steam, but I'm not running any of them.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Is it closing or CRASHING? 

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By matpaget

@The_Laughing_Man: Crashing would be a better word.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @MatPaget said:

@The_Laughing_Man: Crashing would be a better word.

Gonna say its the over loaded servers. 
    matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By matpaget

@The_Laughing_Man: Didn't happen for a little while. Then I realized it didn't happen at all at my dad's.

It only crashes when I go to a game's page. Is that still the server overloading?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Ravenlight

Close Steam and open up your Task Manager and make sure the Steam.exe process isn't still running. If it is, kill it and restart Steam.

I run into the same problem sometimes where Steam kind've half closes and doesn't run properly after.

Scheknul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By Scheknul

Hey guys, does Steam.exe ever just close it's self? No crash report, nothing? Well, I've compiled a short list of things you can do, short of re-installing it altogether.

Try doing these things, one by one. Make sure that steam is off (check task manager). After each step, re-launch steam again.

1: Delete ClientRegistry.blob (Found in your steam folder). If you can not find it, use the search function with in the steam folder. C:\Program Files\Steam

2: Delete everything, except steam.exe and steamapps folder.

3: Delete Appcashe.

4: Defrag hard disk.

5: Optimize the space on hard disk.

Keep in mind: this isn't an all at once thing. You need to do them one by one. Do a step, re-launch steam. Wait to see if steam closes it's self, or even crashes. Do the next thing, etc.

This is most of what valve will tell you to do in an error/ticket report. Short of deleting things from your actual registry. NO ONE should mess with their windows registry, unless you know exactly what it is that you're deleting. If you don't know, have a friend do it for you. Deleting the wrong thing from any part of your windows registry can, and will corrupt windows. I've seen people delete system 32 before, and it made me laugh inside. However, it's no laughing matter to have to re-install windows. So, just be cautious.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.