Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steam Mod Store Canceled !

• 104 results
    soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By soulcake

Quote from steam

Removing Payment Feature From Skyrim Workshop

We're going to remove the payment feature from the Skyrim workshop. For anyone who spent money on a mod, we'll be refunding you the complete amount. We talked to the team at Bethesda and they agree.

We've done this because it's clear we didn't understand exactly what we were doing. We've been shipping many features over the years aimed at allowing community creators to receive a share of the rewards, and in the past, they've been received well. It's obvious now that this case is different.

To help you understand why we thought this was a good idea, our main goals were to allow mod makers the opportunity to work on their mods full time if they wanted to, and to encourage developers to provide better support to their mod communities. We thought this would result in better mods for everyone, both free & paid. We wanted more great mods becoming great products, like Dota, Counter-strike, DayZ, and Killing Floor, and we wanted that to happen organically for any mod maker who wanted to take a shot at it.

But we underestimated the differences between our previously successful revenue sharing models, and the addition of paid mods to Skyrim's workshop. We understand our own game's communities pretty well, but stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating. We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here.

Now that you've backed a dump truck of feedback onto our inboxes, we'll be chewing through that, but if you have any further thoughts let us know.

Holy Crap didn't see that coming.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I thought it was pretty easy to see coming actually. This thing is so poorly thought out and implemented even by Valve's standard of the last few years.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

PC gaming seems complicated.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

I thought it was pretty easy to see coming actually. This thing is so poorly thought out and implemented even by Valve's standard of the last few years.

There's a lot of junk on steam these days i did see horse genitals being part of that junk.

Primworm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty quick change but its for the best right now probably

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should've gone one step further and removed Skyrim from the store altogether.

eyeroll.gif

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They'll be back...

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

vsharres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vsharres

Well, at least Valve is listening to the community, and yes, to start this feature with Skyrim was not a good idea.

DeadeyeMcCoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was faster than anticipated.

violet_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hahahahahaha

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By 71Ranchero

That escalated quickly(and then fell of a ledge).

I guess I wont be making my millions on that cabbage retexture I was working on after all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
    deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that ended exactly like we all knew it would.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't agree with the decision(I see value in having paid mods), but I completely respect them for making it. This was a huge cluster fuck and I don't see how they could of solved it without a shit ton of effort. I really hope they launch a game, possibly Fallout 4 or whatever Bethesda's next game is, with it. I think they have a better chance of less outcry if the feature is launched with clean slate.

ikramit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ikramit

what a disaster this has been for Valve.

I do agree with the idea of mod creators being given the option to monetize their work just not in the way valve was attempting to go about it as it offered far to many possibilities that ended with everything going of the rails

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

In an ideal world, it could have worked. Maybe it's best to have it as a donation model instead?

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tuxfool
    FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

@ikramit said:

what a disaster this has been for Valve

Yes and no. It lasted less than a week, anyone who spent money has had it refunded, and there's a potential for this to come back as a better program.

Really the only negative has been the intense negative, and imo hyperbolic, reaction to this program. It honestly seemed like no one was listening to what Valve hoped this would be and just attacked it anyways.

In an ideal world, it could have worked. Maybe it's best to have it as a donation model instead?

I initially thought that would be a good idea but I don't see how publishers or developers would support that. Someone making money off of your work is iffy, even if it is through donations. Having those donations come right there on the mod page and not through a separate Patron or website might annoy some game makers.

Also donations don't stop people from stealing copyright material or other people's mods and passing it off as their own. I wouldn't want to see the mod workshop turn into the iPhone app store where people are blatantly stealing from others but making all the money.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

It's a shame but not a big surprise. Starting this program with Skyrim was too ambitious. When they bring it back it should probably only be as part of new games,not existing ones.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Reads like they'll try a new approach to paid mods in the future, but realized that this wasn't the way to introduce it,

Avatar image for excitable_misunderstood_genius
    Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The internet has a pretty low bar for "disaster".

This will be back, with a new game from the ground up, probably curated to a degree and with a barrier to entry, and it will end up working.

This was definitely a hotter and messier trial than they were probably hoping for, but this isn't exactly the fall of the Berlin wall that so many online are crowing about.

ikramit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ikramit

@finaldasa said:

@ikramit said:

Yes and no. It lasted less than a week, anyone who spent money has had it refunded, and there's a potential for this to come back as a better program.

Yeah I meant more from a PR perspective rather than anything else and yes a better implemented and thought out system could have a real positive impact on PC gaming

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I really support their idea behind this but I just don't know about handling it well at this point, plus the costs to mods overall. I really like supporting someone who is making a mod though.

I actually do hope they think it over and come back because I think it's a good idea. I'm not sure about what exactly it does to mods overall but if this encouraged mods that give new life to some of my favorite games, why wouldn't I like that? The content could be better made if it was worth money to the modders.

I can't deny there are questions about what it does to modding overall. Hopefully it wouldn't ruin what's there. Although I think modding right now isn't what it used to be years ago, when it seemed like you saw a lot more large, total conversion mods coming out. Maybe that could come back if people could make some money.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not opposed to the idea of paid or donation mods. Like they said in the post though, jumping into a massive existing modding community like Skyrim's was probably a poor way to start.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mellotronrules

@ikramit said:

@finaldasa said:

@ikramit said:

Really the only negative has been the intense negative, and imo hyperbolic, reaction to this program. It honestly seemed like no one was listening to what Valve hoped this would be and just attacked it anyways.

Yeah I meant from a PR perspective rather than anythings else and yes a better implemented and thought out system could have a real positive impact on PC gaming

meh, i doubt it sticks with them. if anything it shows they can admit they're wrong and quickly pivot.

personally i think it's something of a shame. i probably was never going to pay for a mod (i don't really use mods), but it would have been neat to see enterprising fans get rewarded for hard work. especially when people like gary from gary's mod thought it was a step (albeit problematic) in the right direction.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This whole thing just leaves me amazed that people still play Skyrim on the regular and that Skyrim is going on 4 years old.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This is the best thing Valve's done in years. Props to them for the very rare time they actually listen to reason and their community.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That happened waaay sooner than I thought it would. But good on them. They did something, it got very negative feedback, and they went back to the drawing board. Hopefully Valve doesn't take as much shit for that move as Microsoft did.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably for the best considering the amount of ASCII middle fingers they got since that feature was implemented.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Well, that didn't last very long.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Good.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By penguindust

I saw a mod on the workshop that was a bucket. Just a run-of-the-mill loot trash bucket, and someone put a price tag on it. Another was titled "Absolutely Nothing" because it was just that. It cost a dollar. Of course, these are extreme examples of the abuse the system allowed. Valve didn't research the Skyrim community close enough. Like Blizzard and the Diablo 3 auction house, they thought they knew best.

The best thing that's come out of this mess is that now there is an option to donate button that appears when you start to download something on the Nexus. Give or don't give, it's up to you and give as much or as little as you like. Look at Humble Bundle. People will give willingly if they are interested in the product and want to support the service. They don't need to be coerced into buying something that might break their game or be broken from the start.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mellotronrules
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@csl316 said:

Money makes everything complicated.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Meh, this whole thing is a mess. I hope they come back with a revised system because I do think content creators should have the option to be paid for their work. A donation button could work and would hopefully attract more high quality mods and incentivise developers to allow modding in their games.

I also kind of hope the bombcast guys have already recorded the podcast because it would be funny if they missed the news by a few hours.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It honestly makes me a little sad. There were many anti paid mod folks who had lots of good points. But there where also folks who seemed like their argument was "PAY MONEY FOR MODS?! You fucking modders are evil pieces of shit! What monster charges for something that was free once!" It feels to me like those folks stamped their feet and got what they wanted. And that kinda makes me sad.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The paid mod idea was horrifically executed. Implementing it was a clusterfuck and Valve should've known better to drop that system, designed as it was, onto the game that they did. We'll see this idea again in the future, I'm sure, with hopefully more effort put into it than almost none. A lot of their responses to issues were basically just "Eh, you figure it out with the other modders" or "Eh, everything will fall into place. Market forces." If it's really all about supporting the mod community they can do this in a million better ways, and hopefully they do.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Still seems like a cool idea. Here's hoping they can attack it from a better angle, with a fresh start and a new game.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

It's not really, Valve is just throwing a bunch of crazy stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks and what they can get away with. They're practically printing money these days so they can do whatever the hell they want.

With PC mods being such a big deal and all of the time and resources those modders put into their work I bet it's kind of nice for them to get some cash out of it. Those people on the higher-end side of things are basically doing the same thing that game developers are doing without getting paid for it. The reason why this didn't work is because its really hard to start charging for stuff that has been free forever, and honestly, a lot of it isn't worth they money they are asking for. I can understand charging for mods on a new game that just came out ( lets say mods for GTA V, for example), but charging for Skyrim mods is kind of a tough sell even for the most diehard fans.

We'll be seeing this again no doubt, but not now. Not until another Elder Scrolls game or something that justifies a bazillion mods like Skyrim did.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#41 chaser324  Moderator  Online

I kinda hate that they caved to the pressure like this. There were certainly some causes for concern, but there was enough potential upside for all involved that it seemed like it was worth it to stick it out while refining the system.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I'm not opposed to the idea of paid mods, it's clear that Valve didn't have an open dialogue with the general community before implementing the system. That by itself would have saved them a lot of trouble in trying to design a system in a way for mod creators and users to use.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pr1mus

A more reasonable approach would be for Valve to start by implementing this in one of their own games to begin with.

Not Dota 2 or CSGO because they are too big.

TF2 or L4D2 would be perfect. Big enough to have a meaningful go at it and see how things go but not so big that if it fails it becomes a disaster. TF2 is where they've tested F2P and microtransactions for the first time and most of the last major updates to the game have more or less been outsourced to the community under Valve's supervision and final approval before release. The way that game has operated for years makes it ideal to test this. L4D2 would be equally good for this and could use some love from Valve anyway.

Most importantly though, using one of their own games would make it immensely easier for them to deal with the inevitable clusterfuck of copyrights infringements and other DMCA takedown notice this will create. No need to involve anyone else but themselves before they've got things figured out.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda hate that they caved to the pressure like this. There were certainly some causes for concern, but there was enough potential upside for all involved that it seemed like it was worth it to stick it out while refining the system.

I saw the upside but this was just not something that should have been dumped out the way it was, the stuff in DOTA 2 and TF2 are handled well and make sense and have quality control, what they did with this was sloppy.

It will be back attached to the next Elderscrolls/Fallout game and be all the better for it.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It's good of them to do this. Even if people are going to whine about this, too.

You're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't. At least they are going back to the drawing board to figure out how to make this work the way they intend (which I truly believe they intend something like this as a positive and not as negative as people are reacting to it). How many companies would even bother experimenting with stuff like this, let alone going back to the drawing board on it because it's community at large feels it's implementation was disruptive?

Good on Valve. Shame on the entitlement culture which made a big deal out of this when it wasn't a big deal to begin with- even if poorly executed.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

As someone with a job and understanding of the work that goes into a mod it made no difference to me. However, the Nexus option of "pay what you want" should have been included and this would have been not an issue. Mods are for the talented and the less talented continue to bring the industry and community down.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Hindsight is 20/20 but it probably would have been a lot smarter to roll this out with a new game instead.

SuperVHS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weren't Valve taking a 75% cut or something crazy like that? It might be kinda hard to live off of your mod making unless it's super popular and relatively expensive

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This whole thing just leaves me amazed that people still play Skyrim on the regular and that Skyrim is going on 4 years old.

Good games almost always have a long tail on PC if they come with mod support.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weren't Valve taking a 75% cut or something crazy like that? It might be kinda hard to live off of your mod making unless it's super popular and relatively expensive

You're only partially correct. The modder would have received 25% and the remaining 75% would have been split between Value and Bethesda. I think the split was 30% value 45% Bethesda.

Also, 25% is the same cut that TF2/DOTA2/CS:GO modders get.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.