Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steam Summer Sale 2016 Jun 23 - Jul 4

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Starting in an hour! Just wrapped up Rise of the Tomb Raider and DS1, planning to pick up a lot of small indie stuff mostly as I got no time for Witcher 3/GTA V.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Oh noes, my wallet! Just blew ten bucks on the Sonic Humble Bundle last night!

Syce300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hoping to finally pick up Stardew Valley and SUPER HOT SUPER HOT! Now I just gotta keep telling myself that's all I'm gonna get...

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Unless XCOM2 is like $20 or something, I'm not even going to look at the sale this year. My wallet will thank me.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@arbitrarywater: I'd love a serious XCOM 2 sale as well. I'm probably going to look at the sale once again. It'll probably be a mistake.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's too bad they don't do flash deals anymore because of return policy. It was fun with the mini games etc.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hoping for that 75% off on Ds2. But it probably sticks at 66%.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully Ori and Axiom Verge have a better deal this time around, although I don't think these will go for -66-75% yet. Lot's of other $10-15 games on my wishlist that might go for cheap though!

Numbnutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Numbnutz

@syce300: Just put an amount equal to 75% (because I'm not expecting a deeper discount than 25% for both of those) of the current price of Stardew Valley and Superhot in your Steam wallet now, and simply don't add to that over the course of the sale.

That strategy has helped me out a lot over the last few sales, after some ludicrously pointless spending sprees in the past.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*looks at 370 mostly unfinished games*

ALRIGHT LET'S DO THIS!

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This will be my first Steam sale since building my first PC. I am very excited.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By ArtisanBreads

So far Wario64 posted early discounts and they're just bundles of games with a 10% discount. Like around $100 price tags. No thanks.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@nnickers said:

Be careful. The Steam sale is not what it used to be. It used to be extreme discounts and now they have really dialed it back. To me you have to be looking all year now and Humble Bundles are where the best deals are for small games. I think the discounts were bad for the industry so I have mixed feelings but Steam sales used to be an event but really have fallen off.

EDIT: yeah the deals are going live and this looks even worse than the last one. Plus no daily deal aspect. There are deals to be had, I don't mean to tear it apart. Especially if you are coming in with a limited collection.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I'm never going to reduce my wishlist with these mediocre discounts D:

Avatar image for deactivated-5967fc912058b
    deactivated-5967fc912058b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

36 for GTA? Nah. Cant justify buying it a third time. Maybe for 20.

Someone said it's their first steam sale so good luck to that person. It's my second since building first PC. I built it just in time for the Winter sale.

EDIT: Also, 10 for Assassins Creed 1? NO.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The store is a mess right now. Looks like they're doing all the deals at once like last year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu: Sooo more sales will still roll out though, right?

Ah interesting Rise of the Tomb Raider just rolled out at $38. It wasn't there initially.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By nightriff

Hopefully new deals every day, if not then this is the.....3rd summer sale in a row that is a bummer for me.

I've been wanting to replay the modern warfare trilogy but I'm not paying 9.99+ for each of them separatly (with 3 being 19.99). Activision deals always suck it seems.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Blackout62

@doenut: That may not be the case. Oh to be back in those prosperous days where one could wait with bated breath every 6-12 hours to know what price's would be slashed viciously.

But, good Lord, not even half my wishlist is on sale.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@nnickers said:

Be careful. The Steam sale is not what it used to be. It used to be extreme discounts and now they have really dialed it back. To me you have to be looking all year now and Humble Bundles are where the best deals are for small games. I think the discounts were bad for the industry so I have mixed feelings but Steam sales used to be an event but really have fallen off.

EDIT: yeah the deals are going live and this looks even worse than the last one. Plus no daily deal aspect. There are deals to be had, I don't mean to tear it apart. Especially if you are coming in with a limited collection.

definitely, the individual Publisher weekends are often better deals than the big event sales now.

and Origin,Sony and even Nintendo are are almost caught up. PSN in particular routinely has steep flash sales now.

Things have never been the same since last year's summer sale. I think they had to get rid of flash deals because of the Steam return policy. Whatever reason the good times appear to be over.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom at $36 is really tempting for me. I was really impressed with the demo, and I was waiting for it to hit $30 before buying.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's interesting to hear all this about the good ole days because my first sale was this past winter and it was pretty good IMO. Also games would fluctuate prices which was bad IMO. Interesting though.

OK stuff is DEFINITELY still rolling out. Fallout 4 just hit 30.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I said I'd get Stardew Valley whatever the discount, but that 20% off just isn't inviting for some reason...

This new Steam sale format is a real bummer.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Underwhelming!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, whole bunch of games I've never heard of on my homepage. Nothing super tempting yet. Guess I'll wait for the last day again!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omgfather: Worth it at full price. I've put 150hrs into it, but that is a terrible discount for sure. Man, if everything on here was just 3-8 bucks cheaper I swear I'd be all in.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Blackout62

Looks like the best thing we'll get out of this sale is the magnificent requisite hype video.

Loading Video...

Hm, I remember years when I would blow my budget like HBO blew theirs for that shot.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poveren said:

Underwhelming!

MEDIOCRE!

The server is still a bit of a mess for me, lots of errors and games that would normally be on sale not being on sale right now, might give it a few more hours so it can settle down.
    I miss the excitement of the old days, but I'm sure there will be a bunch of good indie games I will pick up this sale. I was never usually in it for the big or new games anyways, they usually never went on enough of a sale, but I could get like 20 indie games and call it a day.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doenut: I dont think so. Im pretty sure they started doing this because of something involving the refund policy.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

@nnickers said:

Don't expect the dailies to ever be back at this point. Valve mentioned that sales went way up during the Winter Sale with the switch in formats to just putting everything on sale at once, even at a reduced discount. I believe GOG just did that during their sale as well, but I could be wrong. The Humble Store still uses the daily format. Plus like you said, I think they were a bit bad for the industry in how quickly things dropped to 75%-80% off.

The Steam sale can still be pretty good if you stack discounts. Steam cards are often 10-20% off (Best Buy has a deal going right now of buy 1 card get 1 20% off). eBay has crazy discounts on gift cards every so often. But yeah, if you're a Humble monthly subscriber and can stack that extra 10% discount, they typically top GOG and Steam at this point. The last three Humble monthlies have been pretty good (Rocket League and Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes were alone worth the $12), though this upcoming month isn't looking so hot.

Doom at $36 is really tempting for me. I was really impressed with the demo, and I was waiting for it to hit $30 before buying.

It is super good and worth $36. It's my personal GotY so far. The GB guys are not underselling that game at all.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oof. Whenever i hear the words ' Steamsale' i think back at 2011-2012.

It's nowhere near as good as it was back then. Oh well, might still find a few good things.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omgfather: Agreed and I feel terrible. Under 10 and I would jump on it, now I don't know and might just wait till end of year stuff and catch it for 33% or higher

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm with you. Not that it isn't worth that extra $7 your boy is just poooooooooooor.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dag I was hoping Devils Daggers would go on sale idk if I can afford it.

Also Hotline Miami 1 is higher than 2. I'm DONE.

Black. flag. cheaper. than. A. C. 1.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An hour in and still can't even add more than 1 thing to my cart without steam kicking me out.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By poveren

Looks like i'll pick up Black Mesa, shadowrun hong kong, ghost 1.0, dex, maaaybe tales of symphonia, and one AAA title - not sure which yet

chris_sereday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is practically nothing I'm interested in at these prices.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stellaris 10% discount...meh.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i feel like these steam sales are getting worst with the year, or i just own everything i like that might be a thing to.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well... I got 3 games out of my wishlist, so I can't say it was an unproductive sale.

I get those that feel disappointed by it, although I feel Steam sales get progressively less interesting because each year there are less games new to them...

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I paid the full 60 and I feel like I got away with something at that price. Can't overstate how good Doom is.

Speaking of: Started replaying on Nightmare yesterday... it's like Super Meat Boy became an FPS. Good god. And Ultra-Nightmare wants you to do that without dying? Hahaha, yeah, nah. But regular die-ful Nightmare is fun as shit.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, after watching Steam sales longingly from afar for years, now that I've finally built a PC and can join the party I definitely feel like I've missed the boat.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#43  Edited By mike

@morningstar said:

That game JUST came out...that's pretty typical for new games, especially games that are doing well. What did you expect?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mike said:

@morningstar said:

That game JUST came out...that's pretty typical for new games, especially games that are doing well. What did you expect?

90% off, and they also bundle in all previous Paradox games. Obviously.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nnickers: Yeah I feel for you this is awful. Might be a chance to top off your collection of old stuff on your new hardware. Like Bioshock is 4 dollars.

Askherserenity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Only 8 bucks for Invisible Inc. and the DLC....Should I go for it?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@nnickers said:

Man, after watching Steam sales longingly from afar for years, now that I've finally built a PC and can join the party I definitely feel like I've missed the boat.

It's only the first day. If you don't have a massive Steam library like many of us already do, then there will undoubtedly be some good deals coming up for you.

Try using this page and narrowing games down by discount or just looking in the Summer Sale section: https://steamdb.info/sales/

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember that it takes time for all the deals to sync with the servers. Could be hours. That said, it would seem that the deals are not that hot and some companies like Bethesda have raised their initial prices to offset the discounts.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@askherserenity: Honestly, as a long-time fan of both stealth and turn-based strategy games, I went into the game really hyped and ended up completing one campaign and never going back. There's a lot of smart design choices in there and I love the basic concept of turn-based stealth (even if I'd already been burned by both Ac!ds in the past), but the game just felt kind of heartless to me, or like there wasn't much substance. I'm not sure how to describe it really, but I feel like I was right in the center of that game's target audience and yet it felt incredibly light and fleeting to me.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing jumping out at me (1000+ games in my library tends to mean that I already own most of the sale regulars) is Dead Rising 3 at 70% off.

How's the port?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.