Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steam support for Windows 2000 ending in 2 days, hmmm

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By AURON570

So I play TF2 fairly regularly on the computer I'm using now. It runs windows 2000, but for the last few months every time I load up Steam I am greeted with the message, "Support for Steam on Windows 2000 will be ending on August 31st, please look to upgrading your operating system."  This really doesn't seem like too much of a problem, and it probably isn't a problem for the majority of PC gamers.

I have a new computer that my dad put together to bring to university. I've already transferred most of my music, game, browser files, so it feels alright. I realize I probably won't have much time to game because I'll be studying a lot, but it's nice to have. This school computer is actually a lot better than the computer I'm using right now (I tested it with TF2). The screens bigger, there's more memory, better graphics card and so on. But yet I feel sort of sad. It's like the end of an era. I've finished high school. For the longest time I've been bugging my dad to upgrade the operating system to Windows XP, Vista, 7, and finally I get a computer that has Windows XP (the one I am bringing to school). It's gonna be interesting these next few years, so much is happening in such short time...

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AURON570

So I play TF2 fairly regularly on the computer I'm using now. It runs windows 2000, but for the last few months every time I load up Steam I am greeted with the message, "Support for Steam on Windows 2000 will be ending on August 31st, please look to upgrading your operating system."  This really doesn't seem like too much of a problem, and it probably isn't a problem for the majority of PC gamers.

I have a new computer that my dad put together to bring to university. I've already transferred most of my music, game, browser files, so it feels alright. I realize I probably won't have much time to game because I'll be studying a lot, but it's nice to have. This school computer is actually a lot better than the computer I'm using right now (I tested it with TF2). The screens bigger, there's more memory, better graphics card and so on. But yet I feel sort of sad. It's like the end of an era. I've finished high school. For the longest time I've been bugging my dad to upgrade the operating system to Windows XP, Vista, 7, and finally I get a computer that has Windows XP (the one I am bringing to school). It's gonna be interesting these next few years, so much is happening in such short time...

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Lunar_Aura

You're upgrading to XP already? Baller!
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf

Windows 2000? Dang...

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AURON570
    @LunarAura:  no actually this computer's is still using windows 2000, the computer I'm bringing to school has XP... I don't know why exactly but my dad still thinks windows 2000 is the most efficient and windows vista/7 use too much memory or whatever.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By zidd

Chances are if you are a PC gamer you wouldn't be caught dead running Windows 2000.

Riotisonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Riotisonfire

I feel like this a post from 2003 or something. Its kinda eerie. But yeah XP is good. Although windows 7 is where its at. Annd yeah smart of steam for getting rid of old stuff. Take advantage of new tech. 

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#7  Edited By LordAndrew

It'll probably still work in Windows 2000 for now. It just means that if it ever does stop working properly, they're not going to do anything about it. It might be wise to upgrade. Windows XP is nine years old now, so I think they've resolved most of those launch issues. ;-)

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By 71Ranchero

I still remember when Valve stopped supporting Apple II. 

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Rockdalf
    @AURON570 said:
    " @LunarAura:  no actually this computer's is still using windows 2000, the computer I'm bringing to school has XP... I don't know why exactly but my dad still thinks windows 2000 is the most efficient and windows vista/7 use too much memory or whatever. "
    I used windows 2000 for a loooooooong time.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By meteora

Jesus, Windows 2000? And I thought nobody run that OS since 2005. Surprised that Steam even actually supports it still.

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
    DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@Zidd said:
    " Chances are if you are a PC gamer you wouldn't be caught dead running Windows 2000. "

Chances are if you are a gamer in high school you don't get to do whatever you want with "your" computer.

My advice is to remember why you went to college and stay focused on that.  My first year was rough because I got distracted by people and social opportunities (I went to a big school).  Be sure to look for friends in your classes; it makes life easier (especially when you get to more advanced curriculum).

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#12  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Atramentous said:
    " I still remember when Valve stopped supporting Apple II.  "
    I was disappointed when I learned that the new Mac version of Steam doesn't support System 7. Seems like a huge oversight.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.