Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

The crazy days of Steam holiday sale! Day 1

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Edited By Nictel

Everyone's most dreaded time of the year has come, Steam Christmas sales. As if the holiday's aren't expensive enough Steam comes along with deals that are bascially too hard to resist. With packs that save literally hundreds of <<your local currency>>.  

Since I already know I'll spend way too much money on this every day, I'll combine pleasure with pleasure and write about it. Expect games, stupid decisions and math. 

Day 1

So much stuff! I want it all. That game, and that pack, and oh that game and wow that pack saves me 400€s! BUY BUY BUY!  
    Ok calm down, let's take a good look at it. There are 12 game deals that expire today. The packs and Publisher Catalogs only expire Jan. 2. So that means that I can see if any of the games from the packs get reduced even more because I don't want all games from each pack. 

First the games of today I'm buying:  

Masochistic fun!
    Masochistic fun!
    Super Meat Boy
    You hate it, you love it. I love it, the brutally hard levels and the quest to find the perfect route through each level can keep me busy for hours until my hands can't take no more. Because having it on a single console isn't enough.

This time you're the bully 

Bully: Scholarship Edition

I have been wanting to play this game for a while but never saw it cheap or it was the old version or it was for PS2. For 6,99€ I happily pick it up. 

I hate dark creepy places 

Fear Complete Pack

I bought S.T.A.L.K.E.R in last years Sale. I still haven't played it, there is a lesson here. I just can't seem to learn it. 

I heard there was a girl in this one. 

Prince of Persia

I can't remember if this was good or not, still I enjoy these games might as well get it cheap as it is. Already own the Sands of Time "trilogy" 

Sand. It gets in all the cracks. 

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands Digital Deluxe Edition 

Same story as with the previous game, I'm taking the deluxe version since it's only a bit more expensive and soundtrack!  

Package deal: Games to watch

2K Mega Pack

I own most of these games so getting the whole pack is kind of a waste. However I will keep my eye on: 
    • Sid Meier's Pirates!
    • Sid Meier's Railroads!
    • X-Com games

THQ Collector Pack

Again I own most of these games but I will see if Dawn of War 2 Chaos Rising gets any cheaper. 

Bethesda Pack

Just do New Vegas on sale already! 

Rockstar Collection 

All set, GTA and Max Payne already in the collection. 

Square Enix Eidos Complete Pack

This is a big one, however at the end of the line I already own most of them and I don't need the rest except for: 
    • Just Cause 2 DLC
    • Thief: Deadly Shadows
    • Supreme Commander 2

Epic Games Unreal Deal

If you like Unreal you already have these games and none are lower priced. MEH. 

Telltale Games Holiday Pack

I think I have these on PSN. Still nothing on sale expect for Puzzle Agent. So maybe? 

Valve Complete Pack

Oh Valve. I want L4D pack, Half Life pack and TF Classic which comes at 1 euro less than the whole pack. Might just buy this and give away the rest. 

Paradox Interactive Complete Pack

Paradox. A name never better suited for a developer. Some of these games I don't know others I think I like and again others are downright bad. Since I only own Lead and Gold, and somehow these games have a certain attraction to me I'll end up buying this entire pack. 

1C Complete Pack

Who? I have never heard of them. King's Bounty and Star Wolves look interesting and wasn't there some crazy quicklook for Cryostasis? Maybe someone can tell me if the other games are any good. 

Mumbo Jumbo Complete Pack

Isn't that a Banjo-Kazooie character?  Anyway seems like a lot of casual puzzle games for 29,99€. I'm guessing most of these are pretty bad but I might get stupid and get it anyway. 

Meridian4 Complete Pack

What happened to the other 3? These games seem totally mediocre and.. What's this Space Trader: Merchant Marine? With Steam Achievements? Tank Universal also with Steam Achievements. 34,99€ is a bit too much just to play mediocre games for a bunch of achievements but this Space Trader game looks interesting and it got some good reviews. For 2,24€ there is no reason not to get it. Oh I almost didn't see Grotesque Tactics; "Scantily dressed maidens to be freed from the grasp of merciless monsters." Hmmmmmmm. 

South Peak games Publisher Pack

Another mediocre pack. There is Velvet Assassin, which I know is bad but I just like the idea a lot. It's not on sale and 4,99. If it pops up at under 3€ I'll pick it up. 

Publisher Catalogs

A LOT of games. From Plants VS Zombies to Dragon Age Ultimate Edition, from Dead Space to Empire Total War, from Far Cry 2 to Star Wars, there is a lot there. Especially Ubisoft has a lot going for it. Expecting and hoping some of these games will get reduced some more. 

That's day 1. I'm thinking of tracking how much I spend.. On the other hand do I really want to know?
    Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Nictel

Everyone's most dreaded time of the year has come, Steam Christmas sales. As if the holiday's aren't expensive enough Steam comes along with deals that are bascially too hard to resist. With packs that save literally hundreds of <<your local currency>>.  

Since I already know I'll spend way too much money on this every day, I'll combine pleasure with pleasure and write about it. Expect games, stupid decisions and math. 

Day 1

So much stuff! I want it all. That game, and that pack, and oh that game and wow that pack saves me 400€s! BUY BUY BUY!  
    Ok calm down, let's take a good look at it. There are 12 game deals that expire today. The packs and Publisher Catalogs only expire Jan. 2. So that means that I can see if any of the games from the packs get reduced even more because I don't want all games from each pack. 

First the games of today I'm buying:  

Masochistic fun!
    Masochistic fun!
    Super Meat Boy
    You hate it, you love it. I love it, the brutally hard levels and the quest to find the perfect route through each level can keep me busy for hours until my hands can't take no more. Because having it on a single console isn't enough.

Bully: Scholarship Edition

I have been wanting to play this game for a while but never saw it cheap or it was the old version or it was for PS2. For 6,99€ I happily pick it up. 

Fear Complete Pack

I bought S.T.A.L.K.E.R in last years Sale. I still haven't played it, there is a lesson here. I just can't seem to learn it. 

Prince of Persia

I can't remember if this was good or not, still I enjoy these games might as well get it cheap as it is. Already own the Sands of Time "trilogy" 

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands Digital Deluxe Edition 

Same story as with the previous game, I'm taking the deluxe version since it's only a bit more expensive and soundtrack!  

Package deal: Games to watch

2K Mega Pack

I own most of these games so getting the whole pack is kind of a waste. However I will keep my eye on: 
    • Sid Meier's Pirates!
    • Sid Meier's Railroads!
    • X-Com games

THQ Collector Pack

Again I own most of these games but I will see if Dawn of War 2 Chaos Rising gets any cheaper. 

Bethesda Pack

Just do New Vegas on sale already! 

Rockstar Collection 

All set, GTA and Max Payne already in the collection. 

Square Enix Eidos Complete Pack

This is a big one, however at the end of the line I already own most of them and I don't need the rest except for: 
    • Just Cause 2 DLC
    • Thief: Deadly Shadows
    • Supreme Commander 2

Epic Games Unreal Deal

If you like Unreal you already have these games and none are lower priced. MEH. 

Telltale Games Holiday Pack

I think I have these on PSN. Still nothing on sale expect for Puzzle Agent. So maybe? 

Valve Complete Pack

Oh Valve. I want L4D pack, Half Life pack and TF Classic which comes at 1 euro less than the whole pack. Might just buy this and give away the rest. 

Paradox Interactive Complete Pack

Paradox. A name never better suited for a developer. Some of these games I don't know others I think I like and again others are downright bad. Since I only own Lead and Gold, and somehow these games have a certain attraction to me I'll end up buying this entire pack. 

1C Complete Pack

Who? I have never heard of them. King's Bounty and Star Wolves look interesting and wasn't there some crazy quicklook for Cryostasis? Maybe someone can tell me if the other games are any good. 

Mumbo Jumbo Complete Pack

Isn't that a Banjo-Kazooie character?  Anyway seems like a lot of casual puzzle games for 29,99€. I'm guessing most of these are pretty bad but I might get stupid and get it anyway. 

Meridian4 Complete Pack

What happened to the other 3? These games seem totally mediocre and.. What's this Space Trader: Merchant Marine? With Steam Achievements? Tank Universal also with Steam Achievements. 34,99€ is a bit too much just to play mediocre games for a bunch of achievements but this Space Trader game looks interesting and it got some good reviews. For 2,24€ there is no reason not to get it. Oh I almost didn't see Grotesque Tactics; "Scantily dressed maidens to be freed from the grasp of merciless monsters." Hmmmmmmm. 

South Peak games Publisher Pack

Another mediocre pack. There is Velvet Assassin, which I know is bad but I just like the idea a lot. It's not on sale and 4,99. If it pops up at under 3€ I'll pick it up. 

Publisher Catalogs

A LOT of games. From Plants VS Zombies to Dragon Age Ultimate Edition, from Dead Space to Empire Total War, from Far Cry 2 to Star Wars, there is a lot there. Especially Ubisoft has a lot going for it. Expecting and hoping some of these games will get reduced some more. 

That's day 1. I'm thinking of tracking how much I spend.. On the other hand do I really want to know?
    GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By GJSmitty

I just bought Super Meat Boy and Mass Effect 2 (finally!).  Which is a lot for me cause usually I don't buy anything on these sales.  Can't wait for more deals!

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mikemcn

Bethesda complete would be awesome.... 

I do own fallout 3 (not GOTY edition) already though. Worth it?

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nictel
    @Mikemcn: Getting the DLC separate costs way more. So if you want more Fallout 3 it's definitely worth it. 
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I bought Portal and ZoomyRamen was nice enough to gift his extra copy of Half-life 2.

mrcellophane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By mrcellophane

I'm watching Dragon Age: Origins UE. It would be great to finally get a legal version of that game. Also, I went nuts and bought 15 games on Day 1 of the sale.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Venatio

I bought P.B Winterbottom, really cheap

I'm currently waiting on other deals, nothing really tempted me on the first day

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nictel
    @Venatio said:
    " I bought P.B Winterbottom, really cheap  I'm currently waiting on other deals, nothing really tempted me on the first day "
    I have that game, want to play it too but for some reason it plays really slow on my computer (64bit win7). Compatibility mode doesn't seem to help. A shame really. 

@MrCellophane said:
    " I'm watching Dragon Age: Origins UE. It would be great to finally get a legal version of that game. Also, I went nuts and bought 15 games on Day 1 of the sale. "

I think for punishment you need to buy Dragon Age twice. :P 
    That's nuts, still does deals are just too hard to resist.I bet even now there are still games you want? ;-)
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Aus_azn

I was going to fish for Super Meat Boy, but I didn't really think it was that amazing. And I simply forgot to buy it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.