Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Transferring game files from one computer to another?

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

With the new steam sale I have a lot of new games to play, but I can't actually play any of them because of bandwidth caps. I get 100gb a month and after that my connection slows down to a pretty unusable state. At work though we have very fast, free wifi. If I were able to download the files there on a laptop, is it possible to simply transfer those files onto my gaming pc and have steam recognize them when it goes to install my new game?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By Kidavenger

Steam menu -> backup and restore games

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You could also just copy paste the folders out of SteamApps/Common and it will recognize them.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By myke_tuna

You could also just copy paste the folders out of SteamApps/Common and it will recognize them.

This is what I usually do. When you open Steam on the "new"/other computer, the games will either be in the list as "Update required" or something like that. Or they'll appear to be uninstalled (greyed out), but either way, once you try to "install" them, Steam will find the files there and just check to make sure they're good. Then you'll be good to go.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

by the way, how much of a problem would it be to use cloud saves since you have a bandwidth cap?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I actually did that after I built my Pc back in January and transitioned from my old laptop to the new setup. I couldn't begin to tell you how though. I will warn that once you do it, all your games might not work. I know I had to re download Sleeping dogs, because it just wouldn't play.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Corevi

@crithon: save files are tiny, like a few kilobytes.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@corruptedevil: in deed it is, but still not everything on steam has cloud save. Sometimes the save files can't even transfer over if your just clicking and files around.

Nostal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

bandwidth cap ? Does that even exist anymore ? Oh man that sucks :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.