Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Will Giant Bomb 'quick look' the Steam Machine.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Quick look is perhaps not the correct term for it, but I think you know what I mean. I am hoping they do. They probably have an adequate enough PC that they wouldn't need to, but I am curious how good the machines are, and what the group here think of them when/if they get their hands on them, not only the console, or consoles (I'm mostly thinking about the Alienware version right now), but also the controller. I would ask what everyone else thinks about it, but I kind of assume the answer from most is 'just build your own PC', and the question is already asked elsewhere. That said, if you want to talk about it here, you can. I want to be excited about it.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They don't do hardware. If only there was a website for testing technology.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NTM

@ch3burashka: They do, do console launches, which is basically what I'm talking about. Also, perhaps you're referring to Tested, which I never (well, rarely) go on. I'm more interested in what the staff at Giant Bomb think honestly.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

TBH I don't think they will. It's not a "console", it's just a Linux box running Steam Big Picture Mode.

They'll probably announce their thoughts on the Bombcast which will be akin to "niche controller, not enough Linux games".

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

I think it's a misunderstanding to see Steam machines like a console launch. I also think it's unlikely that Giant Bomb will do a quicklook of them. The only thing that's truly new is the Steam controller, which I'm sure Giant Bomb will try out and give their impressions on. I think the Bombcast, for sure, and maybe UPF are the most likely venues for that content.

The rest of a Steam machine is just a prebuilt PC with SteamOS preinstalled. SteamOS has been available for free for almost two years, so not only is it simply Linux optimized for Steam, it's also old news now. As for prebuilt PCs, they can talk about price versus specs, though they have little expertise to offer there, and they can talk about the aesthetics of the box, but that's pretty light of substance.

None_Braver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be interesting to see how it worked but then there are/will probably be a ton of YouTube videos to fill the GB void.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the interface is just Big Picture. They might talk about the controller at some point.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Onemanarmyy

They did a Playstation TV stream, i could see them do a quick one for this one. Especially because the majority of the people on Giantbomb play on PC.

edit: woops, totally thought OP was talking about the Steam Link instead of the steam machines. No quicklooks for that since it's just a PC in a small formfactor.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Useless, there are a number of different steam machines from several manufacturers, which one would they pick? Not being a hardware focused website they certainly cannot do them all; They might as well just install steam OS in a any PC and it would be the same experience basically.

But steam link I guess would be interesting for them to take a look at.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

It'd be pretty cool to see them do a quick look of the Steam Controller.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They did a video for the Vita TV. It's not out of the question, especially with the controller.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By cornbredx

They don't do videos about computers, so probably not since that's all a "steam machine" is.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Devil240Z

@ch3burashka said:

They don't do hardware. If only there was a website for testing technology.

Thats not true at all. They did the PS4 and Xbox One when they launched...

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Aren't Steam Machines just a PC that runs steam big picture mode? If so, I don't think there will be a point to do a launch party thing like the crew did with the PS4 and Xbox One.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is there to look at? Steam Machine is just a fancy marketing name for a bunch of pre-built PCs running Valve's custom Linux distro(that's came out almost two years ago) instead of Windows.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see them tinkering with it on UPF but probably not for a featured video.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heck, gbeast did a 2 part PC build video, so anything is possible!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

If the controller is the real deal maybe they can stop playing PC games at the desk and sit on the couch instead?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By mike

I don't see any reason why the GB staff should devote any time to Steam Machines. They are just underpowered and/or overpriced PCs that are running SteamOS, which itself just a Linux distro. I sincerely doubt anyone on staff is even going to buy a Steam Machine, and thank goodness for that. The only Steam Machines even worth owning are severely overpriced, and I really hope that none of the guys wastes their money on one of them.

Now, the Steam Controller? That's a different story. However, that seems like a piece of hardware that takes not only quite a bit of getting used to, but a lot of tweaking for individual games. Also, since Valve is likely going to be updating the software and/or firmware for the Steam Controllers a number of times over the course of the next few months, a look at the Controller seems like something that someone on staff should do after a long period of owning and using one. Otherwise, I'm not sure how useful a first impressions type of video is even going to be. We've already got a couple of those types of posts from users on the forums, and the one thing that is clear to me from what I have read so far is that people are going to need a lot more time with these controllers in order to get a true sense of what their capabilities are.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably not, unless one of the manufacturers reaches out to them for some reason. Like @mike said most Steam Machines are also HORRENDOUSLY overpriced... There's one that's $1100 that comes with, and I shit you not, an i3 4130 and a GTX 750 ti. Alienware's Steam Machines are also just a re-release of the Alpha that came out last year... and at least with the Alpha you got a fully licensed copy of Windows... (Which I believe is eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade)

I hope no one actually spends their money on one. They are all just so... garbage. You'd think having an OS that's free would make the prices a bit lower, but nope, they're just as overpriced as any other prebuilt PC... (It actually seems like they charge a premium on the Steam logo)

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95: Yeah, they all seem to be overpriced. I hope that there's maybe a few reasonable options but the ones I see cost about 25-33% more than they should. I can't see anyone dropping that much money on one of these things simply "because they're small". You're better off building a proper desktop and then figuring out some other solution for piping the video to your main tv. The savings would buy you a year's worth of games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like a video on the controller, as I really don't keep up on the Bombcast, but yeah, a video on the Machines themselves would be a little moot.

mtfikhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: You should try CNET. I heard they have someone who has your Backalar.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

There's nothing to look at, it's just an overpriced PC (which is running Linux, so you can't even play all of your games).

I hope they take a look at the controller though.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did they do an official video on the Amazon TV or was that just part of a UPF?

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

@mtfikhan said:

@ntm: You should try CNET. I heard they have someone who has your Backalar.

Nice.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@savage: I don't really see it as a console, in the same manner as the PS4 or Xbox One.

And in general, as a response to all responses, alright. I got it. Yeah, I know they're basically just PC's. I guess I just want to hear what they have to say, though I do also know in time, there will many enough videos and what have you elsewhere.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't think it would be a bad idea to road test that streaming-only box, the Steam Link.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to get their take on the controller, and i'm on the fence about the steam machine since it is basically a low profile pc running steam os. Then again, what exactly are consoles now but low profile pc's running there own OS? This one is just linux based and more open sourced.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think they should, if only to give their impressions on the controller and SteamOS, how it all looks as a sort of PC/console thing, and where it might stand in the market.

Regular sort of stuff.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Meh, if one of them buys one they might play with the controller and show some Big Picture mode. but if tiu are expecting a "HEY WOW NEW STUFF YOU GOTTA SEE" reaction form them...don't bet on it. They fooled with Jeff's OUYA for an hour, they might do that again if anyone on staff actually buys one which seems unlikely given everyone on-staff has a gaming PC already.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#32 MattyFTM  Moderator

The Steam Machines are just overpriced pre-built PC's. The Steam Link is a streaming box that will probably be impossible to look at in their office because of their weird corporate internet. The controller is the only thing they could look at, and I'm not sure that lends itself to video coverage well. They could record the controller with an over the shoulder camera like they have done for Wii U and Vita stuff in the past, but I'm not sure that's really worth it. I'd rather just hear some impressions or something on the bombcast.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@mattyftm: they could do a friday thing where they just sit around playing games with it and talking about how it is to play games with. That could be cool.

They'd probably need to mess around with it first though. With all the configuration and setup needed a blind first look thing might just end up being frustrating for everyone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.