Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steins;Gate

Game » consists of 32 releases. Released Oct 15, 2009

The second, and most popular, entry in the Science Adventure series of visual novels. Centers around a group of friends who accidentally invent a device that can send text messages back in time, sparking a pandemonium of alternate timelines and conspiracies. El Psy Kongroo.

Steins;Gate on PS3 and Vita

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 23

Steins;Gate is now available on the US PSN store for PS3 and Vita. Physical versions are scheduled for release August 31 (Amazon links for PS3, Vita).

Both currently priced at $39.99. I don't see anything about cross-buy, so guessing no cross-buy support.

The English version has been available on PC since last year (though not through Steam/GOG).

Anyone planning to get this? I haven't really played Visual Novels, but this seems to be one of the most well-regarded VNs.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I was thinking of getting it. I have been watching the anime though and am really enjoying it. Is it worth playing the game as well? Or is it just going to be basically the same story?

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@kerse: I'm playing it on vita right now after watching the anime a few months ago. The start of the game is pretty much the same but later there is more story stuff that wasn't in the anime.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think the anime was the most overrated piece of crap put out in the past ten years, so not excited so much. The brain-damaged/extreme-moe sister ruined the whole thing for me. And then halfway through, let's throw in a gender-bender character just because ??? that has little-to-nothing to do with the story. *sigh*

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

The first half is a bunch of annoying, one-dimensional characters acting like idiots while some interesting sci-fi kind of happens to the side. The second half suddenly gives these characters depth (actually managing to make them likable) and kicks the plot into high-gear, and it becomes one of the coolest stories in video games. I'd say it's worth the struggle.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By JesusHammer

I now own three copies of this game and I'm just now playing through it. Really liking it so far.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By dagas

I am getting the Vita version for Christmas (I know because I picked my present myself since my wife doesn't know what games I want). Looking forward to be able to play it. I remember my Japanese friend was always playing it when I saw him on Xbox Live years ago (yes there are some Japanese people with XBOX 360's).

There has been a lot of visual novels lately and I think we have Steam to thank for that. It started with the Sakura and Neko games that people played just for the sexy characters but now we are getting more serious visual novels to the West which is nice.

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Steins;Gate is part of this weekend's PSN Flash Sale, $16 for PS3 or Vita.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.