Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Strafe

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released May 09, 2017

A retro-styled roguelike shooter, the future of video games is here. Strafe is the fastest, bloodiest, deadliest, most adjective-abusing, action-packed first-person shooter of 1996!

Are you excited about Strafe?

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Dray2k

Poll Are you excited about Strafe? (167 votes)

Yes! I'm going to buy this day 0 (or I've already preordered it) 14%
    Yes but I'm holding off for now until the reviews are in first. 23%
    Yes quite but I'm waiting for a discount. 7%
    Yes but not for the reasons you've listed here. (please elaborate) 2%
    No, I don't like the art design/sound design. 4%
    No, from the few gameplay videos and trailers I think that the game isn't worth it. 9%
    No, I don't like the genre. 7%
    No but not for the reasons you've listed here. (please elaborate) 6%
    I'm still feeling uncertain about it. 12%
    17%

Hey everyone!

Strafe is arriving in about 5 days already and I'm really excited about it, I think it has the potential to easily be the game of the year (considering the top releases we're seing this year, this says a lot). After years of wait, how do you feel about the game. Are you excited to finally get it or are you still uncertain about it? Maybe you dislike it already for whatever reason.

Feel free to comment. I'm curious to read your opinions about it.

EDIT: Haha, I made a mistake on that poll, mods plz halp!

• 
    cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I backed it so I think I get a copy when it releases. Either way it looks great, looking forward to trying it out.

JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I got a backer mail on the 13th saying it's delayed until May 9th... looking forward to it though.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By BaneFireLord

I have no nostalgia for the era of FPS games it's paying homage to, I'm not especially fond of roguelikes and I don't find the "persistent gore" mechanic particularly interesting. So that's a hard pass from me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah definitely. I've been interested in this game ever since the guys played a version of it on UPF. I like the artstyle and the excessive gore, and the roguelike mechanics seem neat. It's pulling elements from old shooters that I really like, especially Quake.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's the "I've never heard of this game before" option?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#6  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I'll pick it up, not sure if at launch or later at a discount though - parts of what I've seen of it look pretty exciting, but then they're also specifically going for a mid to late 90's polygonal shooter like Quake 2 and such, whereas I personally much would've preferred that they had gone with sprites. Thankfully there's that Build engine prequel to Bombshell in the works too:

No Caption Provided

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#7  Edited By Savage
    @fisk0 said:

Thankfully there's that Build engine prequel to Bombshell in the works too

Do you have any sources confirming it's still being made? I hope it is, but I haven't seen any new info on it since Bombshell was released over a year ago and bombed.

Edit: Did some searching around just now, and it seems that Interceptor declared bankruptcy in December and shut down. Some of the people have started a new studio under the name Slipgate Studios, which they declare to be the successor to Interceptor. But there's no mention that I can find of whether they're still working on a new Build Engine game.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#8 fisk0  Moderator

@savage: The build game is developed by Voidpoint, not Interceptor. I don't recall details, but they posted something around late January or early February about it still being worked on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Yup. Love the look.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Not really. That demo I played ages ago didn't really do anything for me. Who knows, maybe it could turn out good.

I'm more excited about eventually getting around to playing Quake 2...

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ripelivejam

this game looks rad, i'm probably one of the few who isn't tired of the boxy/voxely look when implemented well as it seems here. i won't have time to do it justice i think but i'll probably buy it anyway if the price is right.

man seems like i was annoyed at it being so far off just a little while ago. i embrace you, fast approaching death!!!

e: this would make a great switch game too btw *cough cough*

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game is out now, but the price is a little too steep for me at the moment, I'll wait for a discount (and reviews). Looking forward to playing this one though!

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LeStephan

@quipido: I jumped on it and sadly it runs really bad on ps4 :( fps does not ever stay stable from the second you start playing a real level, Its rough.

On the other hand, the tutorial is AMAZING. And if you're on pc its probably a lot of fun. The 'Make strafe worse' button is great too, not sure if its my immagination but it seems to run better with it on as well haha.

Its not often that performance ruins a game for me, couldn't recommend it on ps4 as is though.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@lestephan: Ehh.. the game looks like Quake 1, how did they make it run bad on PS4? Or is it a Unity game?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By glots

@lestephan said:

@quipido: I jumped on it and sadly it runs really bad on ps4

What the christ. I guess I'm not surprised, especially if it indeed runs on Unity, but this is still so mind-boggling with those throwback graphics. I hope it's just something that can be fixed with a patch. Not that I was jumping the first chance to get this anyway, will probably wait for sale.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LeStephan

@glots: @dussck: Yep Unity, and it already updated to 1.01 immediately after I bought it, apparently 'improving performance' ... I'm curious how much worse it was. The update was the same size as the whole game.

It reminds me of the ps4 port of Paranautical activity.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: @lestephan: Oh, if it's a Unity game then I'll just pass on it, that engine has such a bad history on consoles I am not even hopeful they will get a decent performance out of the game with a patch. Bummer! Thanks for the update though, I was eyeballing the game not 5 minutes ago on the store again...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Tried it on PC. Not super great. It's hard to describe but it comes across as kind of messy.
    And yeah the AI is not great. Combat usually devolves into a big pile of enemies all running towards you like you're some kind of magnet. It just looks weird, there is too little variety there.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked the excited but waiting for review option, because it seemed the most apt, but I really just need to hear Brad and Jeff's thoughts on it, as they are the biggest fans on the GB staff of the games from which Strafe takes its influences. I really hope it's worthwhile.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was really excited to play the game. like a few minutes in i am pretty bored enemy's just run at you and the gameplay involves you waiting in long corridors and shooting them... kinda bummed out. + the roguelike elements seem kept to a minimum.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WheresDerrick

@savage said:
    @fisk0 said:

Thankfully there's that Build engine prequel to Bombshell in the works too

Do you have any sources confirming it's still being made? I hope it is, but I haven't seen any new info on it since Bombshell was released over a year ago and bombed.

Edit: Did some searching around just now, and it seems that Interceptor declared bankruptcy in December and shut down. Some of the people have started a new studio under the name Slipgate Studios, which they declare to be the successor to Interceptor. But there's no mention that I can find of whether they're still working on a new Build Engine game.

It is still being worked on and should be revealed within a couple months; because of Bombshell's critical reception (re: low) some things changed about it. It's being made by Voidpoint, not Interceptor, which is made up of Duke modders and EDuke32 developers.

It is still coming and it is going to be great.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

Was looking forward to getting this but, between Steam saying the game was comparable to Wasted and looking through the Steam user reviews, I'll pass on this one.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Pie

Fuckin shit.

I downloaded the game straight away as soon as it unlocked. Made it to what should have been area 3 but I got presented with the "thanks for trying the beta screen". Steam hadn't downloaded that patch that made the game into the full version yet.

Okay

Download patch

Second run

Make it to third zone and glitch into an impossible room that I can't escape and that enemies shoot me through the walls in.

Great

Third run

Beat the final boss. In the little epilogue section I manage to get stuck on geometry and can't move. End up killing myself by shooting the floor trying to dislodge myself.

Awesome

Also I'm fairly sure I would have beat the game first run through if it had let me. And I ain't no master fps player. Game seems pretty damn easy

I am enjoying it. But boy. Maybe hold off on this one.

highammichael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually like Strafe quite a lot, but I can definitely see it not resonating with people. Most criticisms I've seen are fair, I think I just put more weight into different aspects. Overall, I had a shit ton of fun playing it and kept wanting to jump back in whenever I screwed up. (Reviewed it for GameSpot)

The first couple levels may not give off the best impression and they're pretty tough to get through on your first few attempts if you're not careful. Once you get the hang of it and you have the right primary weapon, it can be a lot easier (which may or may not be a good thing?)

It also seems that many are having more technical issues that I ran into. I had enemies glitching to different spots and them shooting through walls a few times. I also fell through the geometry once, but was able to get back in. Still sucks that it's bugging out for so many.

Lemme just plug that soundtrack, though. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but holy shit the OST is flaaaaames man. Level 2-1 and 3-2 are two of my favorite tracks. Shouts out to Toy Tree!

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NeoCalypso

I dunno about this game you guys. Absolute very first run ever, I teleport to the first level. Turn the very first corner and immediately fall through the floor into space. After about 5 seconds of falling I respawn back on the ship except all the enemies are frozen in this weird position and don't move.

I can still kill them and they still gib and everything but don't do anything. There are little robot spider looking things and they turn to watch me but still don't actually move. I eventually find an elevator to the second floor(?) and find literally the exact same thing full of frozen enemies.

I eventually get to a door that doesn't seem to want to open even though I have what seems like the proper key for it(maybe I was missing something I dunno) so I eventually had to just quit the game.

Also maybe it's just me but I was really hoping to keep that faux-VHS looking filter from the tutorial that looks amazing but I don't think you can. That "maybe strafe look worse" option actually just makes the game look super pixelated and bad.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, first time ever hearing of it.

blaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is released yesterday, On 9th may.

Waiting , when I'm going to buy it.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

shame this sounds a bit rough. still want to try it out sometime. i love blocky/voxely looking stuff. hell, i still want to try out paranautical activity, despite its history.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#31  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I love this game's aesthetic, but I'm pretty close to being done with procedurally generated Roguelikelikelikes.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#33 chaser324  Moderator

I do really want to give it a shot, but I also kinda want to try Immortal Redneck - another recent release with an extremely similar premise that seems pretty well received based on Steam Reviews.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was interested until i discovered it's a roguelike.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I was VERY excited about it until I saw everyone's feedback. I'm hoping it's a good game outside of the technical problems, because it sounds like they're working on a patch for that stuff.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are plenty of good running unity games on consoles. I don't doubt that it has its difficulties, but it's really on the developer and the choices they make when developing.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @rongalaxy said:

There are plenty of good running unity games on consoles. I don't doubt that it has its difficulties, but it's really on the developer and the choices they make when developing.

Yeah, Unity has its own unique challenges that you really have to be cognizant of throughout development if you want to keep things optimized, but it's absolutely possible.

Inside is a great example of a Unity game with incredibly solid performance. Nobody ever complains about Hearthstone being a Unity game. It's only when there's a noticeable problem that people even pay attention, so you really can't hold a game's particular engine of choice solely responsible for any technical issues.

ilserpente

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a lot to like about this game. The movement feels good, the music is great, and it nails the aesthetic it's going for. But so much of it feels like a chore to play. The enemy design is repetitive and boring, the AI is a one-time pony, and the rogue-like elements don't feel justified. Maybe this will become a nice game in a year, but it still feels like a proof of concept to me. When I get killed I just don't feel the pull to start another run.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.