Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter II

Franchise »

Street Fighter II is a 2D fighting game that spawned enough updates and ports to be considered a franchise unto itself.

Which is your favourite version of Street Fighter 2?

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1 sombre  Online

Like many of you (well maybe not anymore), I grew up on Street Fighter 2. It was the one game that I'd just play relentlessly, against the computer, for about...5 years?

For me, it was all about Hyper Fighting. There was something...pure about that game. The great characters, music, and the unrivalled speed compared to games like Mortal Kombat etc.

I will give a special shoutout to Super Turbo HD Remix. That got me back into SF2 in a BIG WAY, and allowed me to put my 'Gief into practice against randoms on the 360.

Which SF2 game did it for you? I'm expecting a lot of Super Turbo's in here...

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I with you on Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting, I just prefer the music (mainly the SNES version) and feel of this interation of SFII.

Also I really dislike the Super announcer.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

ST, baybeeeeee!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Super was the one I owned (the DOS version, no less!), so that was my SF2 of choice and still the "definitive" version in my mind.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Rainbow Edition, only played it once but man, it left a hell of an impression

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Probably Champion, Turbo, or Hyper Fighting (something in that timetable). I’m good with any of them.

Street Fighter IV is also great. I had V at launch, but quickly fell off due to not having a good pad/stick for PS4.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Street Fighter II' Hyper Fighting / Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES)

That was the version I played the most, but the flow of the game was so much better than classic and Champion Edition or Super and Super Turbo. The lack of super moves, but the faster speed made it dope to me.

The super move is a great addition, I just liked its implementation in Street Fighter Alpha better. The original game was too slow and didn't have all characters playable. Champion Edition added the bosses which was cool, but it still was not as smooth as Turbo would turn out to be. Basically, Hyper Fighting was the Goldilocks zone for SF II in my opinion. However, I can understand the arguments for the other versions.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Probably just basic-ass SF2, since that's what we had. Good ol' days.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely Hyper Fighting for me. It's the ultimate refinement of SF2. Sorry ST - you're the woman I can acknowledge is attractive, but just not my type. It had the speed that we were all ready for after cutting our teeth on World Warrior and Champion Edition, but it was still pure Street Fighter. Supers were cool, but I like to keep it classic. I also liked that it was the point where Ryu and Ken started to diverge from each other instead of just being palette swaps.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

World Warrior, definitely. It's just what I played on SNES. While the gameplay and visuals in many ways dramatically improved, I can't really appreciate those versions as much as the one I played. Especially when they started messing up the default costume colors and stages.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.