Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

360 Controller

DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By DRE7777

Ok, so i got SFIV a couple of weeks ago and have been playing it with the regular 360 controller. Being a noob, I keep doing the challenges to perfect the combos, but I can't do it for the life of me. I can do the moves every once in a while but i cant seem to repeat them. I was wondering if this is most likely because the D-Pad on the 360 controller sucks or that its just really really hard to get that stuff down, or maybe a little bit of both. 

Also if you have any tips on perfecting combo system, as well as integrating those move combos into actual fights, I would be more than happy to hear it.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Stang

Same default answer as the Gouken thread....practice, practice, practice. If you want a fight pad, which is a dramatic step up from the 360 controller, all you gotta do is beat me first to ten. 

When I used the 360 controller, I found the analog stick to be a million times better then the d pad. Give it a try.

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AniMoney

Analog stick is much better. What's your gamertag?

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You should have gotten it on the PC that way you can run these super macro programs that does all these combos for you and a lag switch. Thats how true pros play.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Scooper

Use the analog stick. Also pactice then practice more.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By C0V3RT

Like Stang said - Fight Pad is a big step up from the regular controller without being the hefty investment that a stick would run you. I'm a VERY casual player and the fight pad made a world of difference.
    DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DRE7777
    @AniMoney:  

my gamer tag is DCv N BtrA
    Mrbiscuit101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mrbiscuit101

Same, just picked the game up and the d-pad is horrible. I'm also awful at the game lol.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By MysteriousBob

Buy a fightpad or arcade stick if you take fighting games seriously. They're also required for XBLA retro games.

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

To people who've used both, how do the fightpads compare with the analog stick on the 360 controller?  I never even tried the d-pad and went straight for the stick, but I've been thinking of upgrading. 
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Stang
    @Gooddoggy: The advantage lies in the controller configuration, the pad was marginally better than the 360 analog in my opinion. It does make dashing a hell of a lot easier though. I had issues using charge characeters, for some reason their ultras were tough for me using a fight pad.

If you want a free one, just play me and beat me 1st to 10. Nothing to lose!
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By skrutop
    @Gooddoggy said:
    " To people who've used both, how do the fightpads compare with the analog stick on the 360 controller?  I never even tried the d-pad and went straight for the stick, but I've been thinking of upgrading.  "
    The d-pad on the fight pad is pretty good; I liked it more than the analog stick.  However, the button layout was what sold me.  It's much better for SF (6 big face buttons instead of 4 small ones). 
    wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By wosifat

My beef with the fight pad is that it has no sticks.  I don't want to buy a controller just for one game.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Alex_Murphy

I use the Dpad and can't get past the 4th challenge for anybody, but I can still do better than average in a straight up fight. That's what I like about the game, some fighting games you'll get destroyed if you don't know the big 8 or 10 hit combos, but with SF it seems like it's more about timing, and reading your opponent.

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Stang and skrutop, thanks!

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By napalm
    @wosifat said:
    " My beef with the fight pad is that it has no sticks.  I don't want to buy a controller just for one game. "
    That is a rather stupid complaint. The FightPad is made with one specific goal in mind, and the goal does not include analog sticks. If the standard Xbox 360 controller works for you - then great - but if you're looking at the FightPad and complaining about something that's not supposed to be there, then maybe you're playing the wrong game.
    wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By wosifat
    @Napalm said:
    " @wosifat said:
    " My beef with the fight pad is that it has no sticks.  I don't want to buy a controller just for one game. "
    That is a rather stupid complaint. The FightPad is made with one specific goal in mind, and the goal does not include analog sticks. If the standard Xbox 360 controller works for you - then great - but if you're looking at the FightPad and complaining about something that's not supposed to be there, then maybe you're playing the wrong game. "
    With all due respect, my beef is still with the controller, not the game.  I still enjoy the game and make do with the stock controller.  I don't see why the controller has to sacrifice the analog sticks just for a better D-pad.
    Avatar image for masturbatingbear
    MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By MasturbatingBear

I play good using the joystick. If I had the fightpad it would be amazing.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By napalm
    @wosifat said:
    " @Napalm said:
    " @wosifat said:
    That is a rather stupid complaint. The FightPad is made with one specific goal in mind, and the goal does not include analog sticks. If the standard Xbox 360 controller works for you - then great - but if you're looking at the FightPad and complaining about something that's not supposed to be there, then maybe you're playing the wrong game. "
    With all due respect, my beef is still with the controller, not the game.  I still enjoy the game and make do with the stock controller.  I don't see why the controller has to sacrifice the analog sticks just for a better D-pad. "
    Because the Xbox 360 directional pad is shit. The new directional pad allows for tenfold flexibility in move precision and execution that could not otherwise be achieved with the standard console controller directional pad. All you need to do is play with a FightPad once and you'll notice the difference. As I mentioned before, complaining about analog sticks makes absolutely no sense on a controller that's not supposed to have them. If you want that, then buy a FightStick. If you don't want to buy a FightStick then use the standard controller for the analog sticks.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By lordofultima
    @wosifat: If you're asking the question then you really don't play street fighter enough to notice what difference it would make, that or you're perfectly content with the 360 controller. It's saturn pad layout, no one wants a giant space controller from space with 2 analog sticks plus 6 face buttons, just not comfortable to hold.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrKlorox

Yes the d-pad is that bad, but practice does also matter. However there is a way to make the d-pad more functional.

If you can find a size 8 torx wrench with the security hole in the center (aka T8H -- for wireless. for wired you just need a small philips head screwdriver), you can take apart your controller and grind/sand down the thick plastic rim around the d-pad, making it much more responsive. This is because the actual d-pad slides around and doesn't have enough room to press all the way down if it has slid too far in that direction. Reducing the thickness of the ring gives it much more room to press down on the contacts inside the controller.

I haven't done it since all T8H I can find are really stubby bit heads for a drill. They're too short to fit in the top holes, so you'd need an L shaped wrench instead. So instead I ordered a Hori EX2 fighstick (and replaced the 4 way gate with an 8-way gate, plus bat top) with the money I saved on the game. I love Steam sales. Too bad I rarely play fighting games, so it almost never gets used. However it is THE way to play SOTN.

Loghorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Loghorn
    @MrKlorox said:

" Yes the d-pad is that bad, but practice does also matter. However there is a way to make the d-pad more functional.

If you can find a size 8 torx wrench with the security hole in the center (aka T8H -- for wireless. for wired you just need a small philips head screwdriver), you can take apart your controller and grind/sand down the thick plastic rim around the d-pad, making it much more responsive. This is because the actual d-pad slides around and doesn't have enough room to press all the way down if it has slid too far in that direction. Reducing the thickness of the ring gives it much more room to press down on the contacts inside the controller.

I haven't done it since all T8H I can find are really stubby bit heads for a drill. They're too short to fit in the top holes, so you'd need an L shaped wrench instead. So instead I ordered a Hori EX2 fighstick (and replaced the 4 way gate with an 8-way gate, plus bat top) with the money I saved on the game. I love Steam sales. Too bad I rarely play fighting games, so it almost never gets used. However it is THE way to play SOTN. "

Honestly, I find this technique a lot better:

You need the exact size washer or it won't work.  Outside diameter needs to be exactly 1/2 inch, & the inner diameter needs to be 3/16 inch, kind of like either a flat 5/16" or 1/2" washer. Try whatever you can find as the thickness is likely to be a more important factor than the diameter.

1.) Disassemble the X-Box 360 controller using the Torx screwdriver. But don't get a screwdriver with detachable ends since th tips are the only part thin enough to fit in the screwholes and they're never long enough to reach all the way down. Get something like a Size 8 or a size 9 torx screwdriver.

2.) Make sure that you open the controller face-down so the buttons don't fall out of the shell.

3.) Once you do that, lift the D-Pad rubber underneath the disc.

4.) Put the washer on the peg. Notice that it doesn't fit all the way around the peg but rather rests on top of it. If a flat washer doesn't work, perhaps you could try bending it a bit to see if that does the trick. You may have to mess with it a little to get it just right; you can't just throw the washer in there and expect perfection.

5.) Put the D-Pad rubber back on top & make sure it's on there tight or something so that the washer doesn't move somewhat.

6.) Reassemble the controller.

7.) Done.

I learned it from a person named Eric Vinyard, who has the article about it:

http://www.chinagreenelvis.com/brainsharts/death-to-the-d-pad.html

Hopefully, that will work.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.