Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Awesome a fightstick .....oh wait ..

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By turbomonkey138

Well i got a fight stick for xmas awesome . we got it reduced for 40 quid . 

I couldn't wait to start practicing with it .....then i found out ...

I suck more with the fightstick than a xbox 360 controller . I mean i knew i wouldn't be amazing straight away . But my skill level has decreased from being shit to being worse than bad .... Ive practiced for 2 days straight now and i see no improvement apart from me being frustrated .

Anyone got any tips or advice ?

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By VicRattlehead

i dont have any tips for you but i was wondering where did you get it for £40???

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @VicRattlehead said:
    " i dont have any tips for you but i was wondering where did you get it for £40??? "
    local shop :0
    VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By VicRattlehead

:'(

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Shadow

I don't get the big appeal of fight sticks.  Other than the fact that I can't do Guile's or Vega's ultras on SF4, I'm satisfied with the normal controller.

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Plasma

Yeah I got a TE Stick in early December for £100, and I'm starting to get better now... a little. 

EDIT: Your execution does get better, well mine has.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @turbomonkey138:  I say what has been said a thousand times. Practice, nothing is going to fall into place any time soon. It will take a few weeks before you start actually getting better than you were even then you will still keep hitting the wrong buttons.

just keep working at it and don't be a bitch about how hard it is.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Seriously.  People underestimate the time it takes to get used to an arcade stick when coming from pad play.  YOU WILL SUCK.  You'll get used to it eventually, and when that happens, the arcade stick will feel better to play with than a pad.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By JJOR64

Practice practice practice.  That's what I did.  Once I got my stick, I never picked up my pad again for SFIV.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Stang

You really expected to play as efficiently with a fight stick as you did with a pad after 2 days? Really? My first 2 days were a joke, I was jumping every time I tried to throw a fireball. An hour or two a day for a few weeks is what you need to do if you really want to get proficient.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By turbomonkey138

Cheers guys . Don't worry ill stick with it . Just kind of demoralizing at first

porr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By porr

Now you just need to find an arcade to play in.
     Also a few tips, go to shoryuken.com and read stick control threads. Don't post stupid questions though.

also: lol at jab fighter IV

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @porr said:
    " Now you just need to find an arcade to play in.  Also a few tips, go to shoryuken.com and read stick control threads. Don't post stupid questions though.  also: lol at jab fighter IV "
    Look everyone a new troll! This truly is a Christmas Miracle.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Stang said:
    " You really expected to play as efficiently with a fight stick as you did with a pad after 2 days? Really? My first 2 days were a joke, I was jumping every time I tried to throw a fireball. An hour or two a day for a few weeks is what you need to do if you really want to get proficient. "
    one day ill be able to take one round of you ...one day ...
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By StaticFalconar

If you are going to stick with the stick anyway, I would only assume that the point of this thread is to show off the fact that you got a stick for 40 quid, to which i say, please post some pics.

SoulEdgeSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By SoulEdgeSlayer

I was playing Marvel vs Capcom 2 with the TE Madcatz stick for the first time a few weeks ago, and my skill was much better with the stick than the FightPad that I have been using. However, I have a fairly strong arcade background, so that is probably where that skill came from.

Also, for those who don't know, the Hori Read Arcade Pro Ex SE for the 360 is $89 on amazon. Got one for myself as a Christmas gift. Hope it's good!

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By OllyOxenFree

If you are not comfortable with the square gate then you can try an octagonal one.  They are cheap like around 5 USD.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By DanielJW

I'm having the same experience as you are. Just got to keep pushin' on through!

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @DanielJW said:
    " I'm having the same experience as you are. Just got to keep pushin' on through! "
    its got better now . The stick has become easier to hold
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Stang
    @turbomonkey138 said:
    " @Stang said:
    " You really expected to play as efficiently with a fight stick as you did with a pad after 2 days? Really? My first 2 days were a joke, I was jumping every time I tried to throw a fireball. An hour or two a day for a few weeks is what you need to do if you really want to get proficient. "
    one day ill be able to take one round of you ...one day ... "
    I am horrible right now, it won't be that hard! Currently on my second day off of SFIV (that is major for me), see if I can stop playing like ass tomorrow. I will put $10 on playing like ass.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Stang said:
    " @turbomonkey138 said:
    " @Stang said:
    one day ill be able to take one round of you ...one day ... "
    I am horrible right now, it won't be that hard! Currently on my second day off of SFIV (that is major for me), see if I can stop playing like ass tomorrow. I will put $10 on playing like ass. "
    Then this is my chance
    slappymcjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By slappymcjack

You'll get better duder. Just stick with it

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By lordofultima
    @turbomonkey138 said:
    " Well i got a fight stick for xmas awesome . we got it reduced for 40 quid .    I couldn't wait to start practicing with it .....then i found out ...  I suck more with the fightstick than a xbox 360 controller . I mean i knew i wouldn't be amazing straight away . But my skill level has decreased from being shit to being worse than bad .... Ive practiced for 2 days straight now and i see no improvement apart from me being frustrated .   Anyone got any tips or advice ? "
    Well of course you will be worse, if you jump on a bicycle and don't know how to ride it you're going to be worse at it than walking.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @lordofultima said:
    " @turbomonkey138 said:
    " Well i got a fight stick for xmas awesome . we got it reduced for 40 quid .    I couldn't wait to start practicing with it .....then i found out ...  I suck more with the fightstick than a xbox 360 controller . I mean i knew i wouldn't be amazing straight away . But my skill level has decreased from being shit to being worse than bad .... Ive practiced for 2 days straight now and i see no improvement apart from me being frustrated .   Anyone got any tips or advice ? "
    Well of course you will be worse, if you jump on a bicycle and don't know how to ride it you're going to be worse at it than walking. "
    Nah don't worry i read about the troubles people were having with switching . So the hard time im having wasn't entirely unexpected .
    porr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By porr

Sticks take a long time to get used to. Like everyone else has said. To become actually competent with a stick will take quite a while, and assuming you know how to play the game, ie: combo'ing, links, cancels, what have you; will give you a ton to work on. It took me several months to get to a decent level of stick control and accuracy, which I'm still not so hot. You gotta be fairly into the "fighter scene" to keep with it long enough to get "good."

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Linkyshinks

Keep using it, one day it'll click and you'll have it nailed for life.

Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Tanuki

Like everyone else said, you will SUCK with a stick.  You just need to practice with it.  It takes some time to get comfortable with it.  I don't play SFIV too much anymore... but I would never go back to the 360 pad.  And yes, when I switched to the TE stick my skill had decreased significantly.  Just keep workin' at and don't switch back to the controller.  As soon as you start getting good with the stick, you'll wonder how you ever did anything with the controller.  

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Stang
    @Tanuki said:
    " Like everyone else said, you will SUCK with a stick.  You just need to practice with it.  It takes some time to get comfortable with it.  I don't play SFIV too much anymore... but I would never go back to the 360 pad.  And yes, when I switched to the TE stick my skill had decreased significantly.  Just keep workin' at and don't switch back to the controller.  As soon as you start getting good with the stick, you'll wonder how you ever did anything with the controller.   "
    This. And then you enter a massive rut like I am currently in, and suck worse then when you were on pad! God bless SFIV :)
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By demontium
    @turbomonkey138: Use the stick, you probably played w/ the 360 controller so much you are too used to it. 

Same thing happened with me.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @demontium said:
    " @turbomonkey138: Use the stick, you probably played w/ the 360 controller so much you are too used to it.  Same thing happened with me. "
    yea since it came out . Its ok ill get used to it
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm okay with the ps3 controller 
    In other words I'm okay with not playing Guile or Vega 

Srsly now, once SSF4 comes out I'll try and find a stick to practice

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Yukoei

Yeah, same thing over here.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By turbomonkey138

Hmm i'm going to try and use balrog . Its a massive learning curve

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    @turbomonkey; if you want some practice and your in the uk add me. I remember those dark days all too well.
    Xcessive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Xcessive

SF4 is the only game where sometimes you'll wake up and suck, just like that. Stick or Not, its crazy. i have to practice for about an hour before my execution is where it needs to be when i play. that said, Fuck its rewarding when you hitting sick combos like its nothing.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By lordofultima
    @Xcessive said:
    " SF4 is the only game where sometimes you'll wake up and suck, just like that. Stick or Not, its crazy. i have to practice for about an hour before my execution is where it needs to be when i play. that said, Fuck its rewarding when you hitting sick combos like its nothing. "
    It takes me about 2 minutes to warm up nowadays, but I do have to go in and test me execution before playing, just to know what the day is going to be like.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.