Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Finally Got My Street Fighter IV Fightstick

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Edited By JJOR64

Today I finally got my stick.  I've been wanting one for a while now but, I didn't the money.  Two days ago was my birthday and I got some money to go towards.  So far I like it.  I just need to get used to using a Japanese style arcade stick now.  Well, I just need to get used to an arcade stick.  I've never owned a stick before in my life.  Here is a un-boxing video I made for it.   I know that there are hundreds of this videos out there but, I wanted to make the video.  I haven't made a video in a while so I felt like making one.  Hope you enjoy the video.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JJOR64

Today I finally got my stick.  I've been wanting one for a while now but, I didn't the money.  Two days ago was my birthday and I got some money to go towards.  So far I like it.  I just need to get used to using a Japanese style arcade stick now.  Well, I just need to get used to an arcade stick.  I've never owned a stick before in my life.  Here is a un-boxing video I made for it.   I know that there are hundreds of this videos out there but, I wanted to make the video.  I haven't made a video in a while so I felt like making one.  Hope you enjoy the video.

bagmanforhire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By bagmanforhire

welcome to the club i got mine on tuesday its great!!!!!

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Baillie

I got one today too, can't use it nearly as well as my d-pad... Bit shit.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JJOR64
    @Baillie: I know.  I'm used to using my 360 controller.  It's going to take time for me to get the hang of it.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

Should've placed the camera somewhere.  Nothing like a good box opening on video.  o.O  I meant for the fight stick that you received. 

Gratz on the stick, sir.  I'm going to stick to controller for quite a while.  However, I recently went to my local arcade in the mall (only because loltima's post about going to his arcade made me curious) and we have an SFIV cabinet here that apparently doesn't get played much by anyone other than tournament regulars around here.  I might start going down there for the Hell of it once in a while.  = D

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JJOR64
    @jakob187: I know.  I got an awesome box from Amazon huh?     :P
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Stang

Awesome man, now your Honda will really fucking intense. I just switched my SE parts out today.....it feels like I have to learn stick all over again. I was just getting good!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Scooper

I remember being so stoked about getting an arcade stick, being in the same boat as you having never really played on one. I even swapped out the parts for the special Sanwa japanese nonsense.

I've used it maybe 4 times.... I just can't get the feel for it at all. I just use my 360 controller and regret buying the damn thing now, oh well.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Stang

Yup, I put a Sanwa stick and buttons in literally 2 hours ago. I did not realize basic shit would be drastically different compared to the SE. I seem to be jumping like a retard all the damn time!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JJOR64
    @Stang: Same.  I'm not used the the square inside the joystick yet.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Scooper

I'll probably learn how to use a stick one time. It just seems everytime I hook it up and jump into practise mode I can't do shit, I gotta force all the moves and really think about what button i'm pressing while it's in an instant on the 360 pad. I guess it's just what you're used to using.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JJOR64
    @Scooper: Yeah.  I'm probably used to it since you also have to learn the buttons on a Guitar Hero guitar.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Stang
    @Scooper: 

The muscle memory will come with time. It took a solid week for me to somewhat consistently hit the correct buttons. I still have some issues when going from jab to roundhouse, but like everything else, it comes with a lot of practice and a lot of ass beatings!
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By LiquidPrince

Cool man.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Scooper
    @JJOR64: That was my biggest problem I think was the square 'gate' on the stick. It felt so wierd for me since I like the stick to roll as I'm doing a fireball or whatever and with the square you don't do that because you'll just get caught in the corner. Get yourself an octagonal gate if you want it to feel like your 360 controller. I did and it made doing moves alot easier on my stick. I know it's not the 'japanese way' since they do the smallest motion possible to make a move come out so they don't need to touch the corners of the gate but I'm not that crazy and 0.0001ms isn't that important in my SF game. I think that'll void your warrenty if you do that, though. It did make a huge difference for me. I actualy want to try and learn my stick again after watching your video hahah. Thanks, I guess. ;)
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JJOR64
    @Scooper: The square gate is tough.  I probably wont mod this stick because I really don't know how to do it.  :P
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Scooper

There's plenty of in-depth guides online with videos for many sticks. I didn't know shit about arcade parts or even what a gate was before I bought my stick. I checked a bunch of video guides that had links to the specific parts they used in the video to make sure everything would fit ect. I think the gate was about £6 with P&P so I guess it'll be $4 or something for you if you did want to go down that road. Good luck, whatever you do. That stick is a beast.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Baillie

Oh yeah, you know what sucks? The headphone jack doesn't work with my TurtleBeach X4's - that's a bit shit, isn't it.
    The square gate seems to be what fucks me up, but I am getting used to it.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JJOR64
    @Baillie: I have a wireless mic so it's all good.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Baillie

That must suck. ;)

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By Flushes

Learning square gate has more practical benefits than you might expect. Those pronounced corners are useful for shortcut uppercut motions (double-tap down/forward), certain charge ultras/supers (Guile, Vega, Balrog headbutt into ultra), and for getting a more reliable crouching block, among other things. You should really try to get used to it; it took me over two months to acclimate to japanese sticks, and I'll never go back.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Baillie
    @copycatzen:  Generic youtube comment #23, well done. You're a dick. :)
    @Flushes: Double-tap down/forward works? That's pretty useful. What else you got in that bag of tricks?
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CowMuffins
    @copycatzen said:
    " @JJOR64: Get some execise "
    >_>
    copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By copycatzen
    @Baillie: 

Whatever dude, 1 world countries are very close to look like the humans in “Wall-e”. And I hate to say it, but videogames contribute a lot to it. Either you realize it by yourself, or you find the hard way, just like I did, I used to be a FATASSSS, and that got me serious health problems… luckily I am in good shape now after lots of exercise…. So I will keep passing it on… if you are obviously overweight… Get some exercise!!!    (and then go and play some SF4... I'll see you there)

DerekDanahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DerekDanahy
    @copycatzen: You're a dick sir!
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CL60

I want one :(

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JJOR64
    @CowMuffins said:
    " @copycatzen said:
    >_> "
    >_>
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By lordofultima

Good to see you got a TE, stick with it man! Square Gate is so gdlk once you get used to it.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Luke

Aww shit!  Nice man!  Welcome to the club!  Just play with it for a few days and you'll get the hang of it soon enough... it can be kind of weird at first, if you're not used to it, but it really is WAY better than a pad. 

On a side note, here's a pic of Jeff playing on my FightStick @ GB's 1 year birthday party, which I haven't put-up until now:  

No Caption Provided

Anyway, do you play BlazBlue still by chance?  I may get back into it myself.  Hit me up if you ever wanna fight online :) 
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Linkyshinks

Enjoy, it's a great stick. You will pick it up in no time and when you do you will never go back to using a control pad. A couple of days play in training mode should help. See if you can pull shit off with your eyes closed and by feel alone.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JJOR64
    @Luke: I play BlazBlue every now and then.  I'm more of a Street Fighter guy.
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#32  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

BlazBlue... is... GOD.

Nah, it's simply great game. Certainly the one I'm playing the most right now. Anyway, I'm thinking of replacing my stick, but I think I'll wait until this one comes out.

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Flushes
    @Baillie: You can also do an uppercut from crouch without standing up by hitting three consecutive low corners on the stick. So, from crouch block, go down/forward, down/back, down/forward, and hit punch. Those are the only two useful shoryu shortcuts though, most of the other ones are kind of annoying since they often overlap other inputs, especially for characters like Seth.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Stang
    @copycatzen said:
    What the fuck does it matter to you how he looks? You are the worst type of troll.
    Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By Renahzor

I've gotten used to the square gate, it takes a little time to learn to not ride the gate, but once you do its not too bad.  Im certain it would be extremely difficult to do things like balrogs headbutt -> ultra juggle with an octo gate.  Theres also typically a shorter overall distance for cardinal direction inputs on a square gate due to the extra distance needed to activate corners on an octo.  Fireball motions are easier on an octo gate, but imo SRK motion is more difficult, and more prone to mis-read inputs.  I had to force myself to use a stick for 2-3 weeks before i built up any muscle memory to be even on par with what i could do on a pad.  Now I cant use a pad at all.  

Another thing to remember aside from the joystick, arcade buttons give several advantages.  Better control over negative edge inputs, link timing becomes a bit more like a rhythm game, and eventually you'll become better and more precise with your button inputs.  Some people never get used to or just dont like a stick though, but if you give it some muscle memory time you'll probably see why alot of people prefer them.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By napalm

What are all of these gates and what do they mean? I've heard of square gate and octagonal gate before... I'm not sure what they are or what they mean.

Lilja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By Lilja
    @Napalm said:
    " What are all of these gates and what do they mean? I've heard of square gate and octagonal gate before... I'm not sure what they are or what they mean. "
    It has to do with the stick on your Fightstick. 
    Uh... The walls that the stick hit when you lean it at any direction, it can be square, octagonal and so on.
    As an example; the analog stick/thumbstick on the xbox 360 controller has a completely round "gate", if you wanna call it that.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JJOR64
    @Lilja said:
    " @Napalm said:
    " What are all of these gates and what do they mean? I've heard of square gate and octagonal gate before... I'm not sure what they are or what they mean. "
    It has to do with the stick on your Fightstick.  Uh... The walls that the stick hit when you lean it at any direction, it can be square, octagonal and so on. As an example; the analog stick/thumbstick on the xbox 360 controller has a completely round "gate", if you wanna call it that. "
    What Lilja said.
    banzairyusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By banzairyusan

HI... I just wanted to say that I ordered from the Capcom Storey on August 6 and I have NOT received my stick yet. It is now August 16, 2009. If I had ordered from a third party.. I would have had my stick by now. I have sent a complaint to the capcom support and will be calling their customer service hotline.

I ordered the stick (again) at another third party and looks like I will be receiving it very soon. The tracking# works unlike Capcom's flimsy tracking.

Since I had communicated with DJay like you suggested, he told me that he had stopped the free usps shipping on all orders due to the problems with tracking and people just complaining about the slowness in general.

I agree.. the store is @##@(#@ slow to ship my order! My trackin was just updated yesterday, August 15, 2009.. but it just said that the "electronic shipping info received." meaning that the usps doesn't have it yet.. i think this is totall bull and I am getting really frustrated!! I hate capcom.. i like their games but I cannot order from them EVER AGAIN! 

Since I can't track my order.. it just invited opportunity theft.. what if someone hijacked my stick??! 
    Capcom must be pretty inconsistent in their shiping department! What is taking SO LONG TO SHIP /RECEIVE MY ODER?

Djay told me it ships from Minnessota.. that is like 1 day drive away from my state..

I have to at least get my stick ARRGH!

Anyways.. I will get my stick from the third party.. i hate money not well spent (capcom store, who charged me and didn't ship it/i didn't receive the item).

Pissed! 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JJOR64
    @banzairyusan: That sucks dude.  That's why I ordered it from Amazon.  Also I think Gamestop.com finally got some more in as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.