Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

First-time Tournament goer advice. Turbo.

misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By misterpope

So... I dunno what happened with the first thread, but it died. Somehow. So... here goes.  

ANYWAYS, soon (tomorrow afternoon) I journey into the big-boy Street Fighting world of.... Tournaments.  

And as a first time attendee, even if it is some local convention tournament, I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me. 
    Helpful tips, pointers, anything. Just looking for some help here. 

Thanks, misterpope.

P.S.: I play with a pad (I know, I'll get a stick as soon as I get a job) so I was wondering if it was against some un-written rule to try to borrow somebody's 
    stick at the tournament tomorrow, or if that is even advisable. Thanks again.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Scooper

If you can actualy play with a stick but don't have one you could ask but if you've never used a stick before and go "hey pass that here" you won't be no good at all with it most likely. Alot of these tornyments allow people to use fightpads or controllers so if you want to you could probably still use it.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Stang

Your nerves are going to be the biggest issues, do whatever you can to stay relaxed. Whack one out in the bathroom, drink a couple beers, do anything you can. Once you get psyched out, it is over.

Good luck duder.

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#4  Edited By yetiantics
    @Stang said:
    "Your nerves are going to be the biggest issues, do whatever you can to stay relaxed. Whack one out in the bathroom, drink a couple beers, do anything you can. Once you get psyched out, it is over.  Good luck duder. "

ahhh, we got a public wanker.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By demontium
    @Stang said:
    " Your nerves are going to be the biggest issues, do whatever you can to stay relaxed. Whack one out in the bathroom, drink a couple beers, do anything you can. Once you get psyched out, it is over.  Good luck duder. "
    take a crap, that is scientifically proven to calm down nerves.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By lordofultima

By all means, drink alcohol. I wish I would have drank some beers before playing my games at Final Round, because I was a nervous f-in wreck. Taking a crap in a public restroom does NOT calm your nerves, especially when you know your match is coming up. Trust me on this one.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Stang
    @PantyshotMQN said:
    " @Stang said:
    "Your nerves are going to be the biggest issues, do whatever you can to stay relaxed. Whack one out in the bathroom, drink a couple beers, do anything you can. Once you get psyched out, it is over.  Good luck duder. "
    ahhh, we got a public wanker. "
    Don't judge me.
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Thrawn1

where do you play?

SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @Thrawn said:
    " where do you play? "
    Question is where do YOU play?! You havent been at UTA in FOOOORREEEEVVVVEEERRRR. I'm getting tired of playing Binh (Steven) over and over again.
    hencook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hencook

Going to a tournament is like going to high school again. First off, everyone judges you by how good you are at the game. Even if they don't say it, even if they're nice, they're still doing it. That said, you're going to lose hard because tournament scene is just that much more advanced than online. 

"High School" isn't bad though, you can make a lot of friends at tournaments. Do not drink, chances are you're driving a long way, and this is an impression you'll want to be making. Instead, just talk. Talk to people a lot. Making friendly rivalries is the best way to go. Play 5, 10, 50 matches with the same guy. You're going to lose the tournament anyway, so you're pretty much going for the SCENE for now. Stay away from the pros that money match, but appreciate what they do. 

And don't say anything that's going to piss everyone off, like "Hey those SF megaman avatars are pretty gay huh"

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lordofultima
    @hencook said:

" Going to a tournament is like going to high school again. First off, everyone judges you by how good you are at the game. Even if they don't say it, even if they're nice, they're still doing it. That said, you're going to lose hard because tournament scene is just that much more advanced than online. "High School" isn't bad though, you can make a lot of friends at tournaments. Do not drink, chances are you're driving a long way, and this is an impression you'll want to be making. Instead, just talk. Talk to people a lot. Making friendly rivalries is the best way to go. Play 5, 10, 50 matches with the same guy. You're going to lose the tournament anyway, so you're pretty much going for the SCENE for now. Stay away from the pros that money match, but appreciate what they do. And don't say anything that's going to piss everyone off, like "Hey those SF megaman avatars are pretty gay huh" "

Listen to hencook, he got top 758 at Evo. 

No, don't. Really, you should drink and loosen up a bit. You're not going to make any impression at your first tournament, so while your nerves are adjusting to the stress of the situation all haphazardly, you might as well make it easier on them. I would recommend smoking a bowl, but that's not my area of expertise so I will refer you to an expert. "Too much mind" will get you into a mental situation that you won't be able to handle. "No mind," a.k.a. don't pay any mind to anything besides your own game. Don't think about how you look outside of the game, how you approach people. Just get crunk with that horny goat weed, know what I'm sayin'?
    hencook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hencook

Drinking has it's place for sure, but it sure pisses me off when I win a match only to have the guy say "Oh yeah I'm so drunk, lol"

I've made tourney friends that I've drank with and even played games with under the influence, but this was when we were ALL under the influence. Weed is different, some will say that it gives you an edge and lets you play differently. Meh, it's whatever but just make sure that EVERYONE is completely comfortable with what you're doing.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lordofultima
    @hencook said:
    " Drinking has it's place for sure, but it sure pisses me off when I win a match only to have the guy say "Oh yeah I'm so drunk, lol"I've made tourney friends that I've drank with and even played games with under the influence, but this was when we were ALL under the influence. Weed is different, some will say that it gives you an edge and lets you play differently. Meh, it's whatever but just make sure that EVERYONE is completely comfortable with what you're doing. "
    It's padding, really. You can always make yourself feel better when you lose if you were drunk, you simply say "well I was drunk: WHO KNOWS WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED OTHERWISE?" Oh yeah and drink Crunk, the energy drink. Make sure it's Horny Goat Weed flavor though. Caus' it tastes like cough syrup. 
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Thrawn1
    @SpecialBuddy said:
    " @Thrawn said:
    " where do you play? "
    Question is where do YOU play?! You havent been at UTA in FOOOORREEEEVVVVEEERRRR. I'm getting tired of playing Binh (Steven) over and over again. "
    OH SHIT SON I'M GETTIN' CALLED OUT! I play where it matters at goons, fight club, and this weekend's dallas barfights. It was probably the best tournament for it's size that I've been to. Allen and I tied for 5th in 2v2 losing to buktooth, no shame in that. I'm also gonna go to the tournament this coming weekend at UFO for the 3v3 and 5v5 team stuff. I heard even the Arkansas scrubs are coming down to get rocked by Texas. They're coming down to goons on Friday, sleeping there and carpooling with us to Austin. Party Van 2.0?

YO REAL TALK: I heard you be slacking on that SFIV at the UC! If you'll buy my gas I'll be happy to come down there and play Honda for 6 hours but we both know that neither of us wants that. Stevelol said you're playing Geif know? Trying to get that Hakan practice?

Ultima, this last week was the first time I've logged into my xbox live account since FR and the first thing I see is a message telling me to get crunk.
    Xcessive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Xcessive

play some casuals before hand if you can.
    have a positive mindset, 'im going to fuck you up scrub' is what should be going through your head .
    In general play them like they slept with your girlfriend is about  the best advice i got

misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By misterpope

Thanks for all the advice guys. i had a great time watch the team tournament that went on before the 1v1s, and learned some good stuff too. Those guys were good! 

And no, there was no wanking or drinking involved. But it was still fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.