Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Gouken/Rose Advice?

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Scooper

I'm pretty interested in both these characters but have never been able to use them properaly at all. Rose has got alot of really wierd pokes and normals and I can't get my head around what combos into what and what move's got the best anti-air priority ect... Same story with Gouken. He seems like a really powerful character to me. I used to get totally whooped by him online but nowerdays I don't loose to him as a Guile player since 90% of online players don't know what they're doing and spam MP fireballs and higher counter all day and it's no problem killing them but then once in a blue moon I'll run into a Rose or Gouken that totally blow me away and there's nothing I can do to beat them.

Does anyone here play Gouken or Rose and have any pointers or nifty combos?

EDIT: Given up on Gouken but have pretty much transitioned from Guile to Rose for most matches. I still pull out Guile for specific matchups, though. Still apreciate any Rose advice!

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jeffsekai

For Rose check out a dude named Saqs prolly the best Rose right now. I know Jared used to play Rose but gave up n went on to Chun-li but he might be able to help. 

And for Gouken Alex Valle has a very good Gouken so look at him.

Lilja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Lilja
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Scooper
    @Lilja: Oooo. Thanks! ;)
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Scooper

Gunna shamelessly bump this. I've given up on Gouken mostly but have taken a big liking to Rose. She's actualy pretty great at zoning and her pokes are awesome.

So does anyone else play Rose at all? I'd like to get some advice from Jarad if he reads this. He seems to be the best/only Rose on this forum.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By turbomonkey138

You destroyed me as rose earlier on today .... so i think your on the right tracks

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By roofy

i wish i could use Gouken. he seemed soo close to a shoto character but yet i could never get him down

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By lordofultima

Gouken.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@roofy: Just imagine him like a fortress. If you play him right, nothing should get in (fireballs, cr.hp, counter, hurricane kick as a last resort) but if you gain a knock-down your fortress gets legs and you go squash the opponent.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By turbomonkey138

Gouken's ultra is mega easy to set up .

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@turbomonkey138:

If they aren't expecting the grab, then more fool them ;) Its 5 frames though, so most people are able to tech even without doing a psychic grab. I usually wait for a corner juggle and just whip it out then (after an ex dash palm, the timing is even easier than the grab - just wait till they are about level for the full animation).

@Scooper:

Also, while I'm here I might as well bash in a few more things. Cr.mp/hp is your friend. Both are surprisingly quick, so resetting after a back grab with either, then straight into demon flip dive kick can often catch people off-guard and net you an easy, massive damage combo (and likely put them in a corner). The combo to follow up with is basically what you should use whenever you can land it - demon-flip dive kick, st.hp, ex/dash palm -> dash, tatsu... obviously they will be expecting this, which is why mix-up is so useful with him, but this is his BnB.

Play around with different mix-ups. Jumping mp to cr.hp works I think, and considering they likely haven't seen it won't expect whatever you follow up with ( sometimes just another grab to hurricane kick will suffice). Jumping lk then dashing will often find you on the other side of them as they land, which can be mega hard to prepare for, so if you can ever get that to come out in game its very useful.

Little bits and pieces, but those are the main ways I score damage. Mind-games, people. Mind-games...
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Scooper
    @GetEveryone: Thanks Duder. I'm over Gouken at the moment and have gone fully Rose/Guile now but thanks for the imput anyway. Gouken's actualy a fairly popular character and I'm sure your advice will help them too.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By napalm
    @turbomonkey138 said:

" Gouken's ultra is mega easy to set up . "

He has a setup move that's specifically designed for an Ultra, haha.
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AniMoney

There's a really good rose player on my friends list but I don't think he posts here and he only plays sometimes. If you want to spar with him send me a PM and I'll give you his gamertag. 

Also, have we even played, scooper? I honestly can't remember, whats your gamertag?

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Scooper
    @AniMoney said:
    " There's a really good rose player on my friends list but I don't think he posts here and he only plays sometimes. If you want to spar with him send me a PM and I'll give you his gamertag.  Also, have we even played, scooper? I honestly can't remember, whats your gamertag? "
    AquaticPear. I can't remember playing you. I've played alot of people on the forum, though.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Scooper

Here's a quick video I made against TurboMonkey earlier. It's really just to test my old ass camera but you can still laugh at the random Soul Throws if you like.

I'll make it 16:9 for my next videos. I forgot to on these ones and filming a 16:10 screen in 4:3 looks wierd.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Scooper said:

" Here's a quick video I made against TurboMonkey earlier. It's really just to test my old ass camera but you can still laugh at the random Soul Throws if you like.

I'll make it 16:9 for my next videos. I forgot to on these ones and filming a 16:10 screen in 4:3 looks wierd. "
    haha pwnage
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Scooper
    @turbomonkey138: We can play a proper first to 10 sometime and I'll get a better quality picture in widescreen. This match was pretty much the only servicable one out of the 3 or 4 I shot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.