Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Hardest Fighting Game of All Time?

theQman121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By theQman121

I just Picked this game up from a friend of mine, and I can't remember a time I've had this much trouble with a video game before unless we're talking Devil May Cry 3. Are there any ways to really figure out what I'm doing and get myself to be a better fighter? I've tried the trials, but I don't feel those are really telling you how to to increase your skills as a fighter. I can't say I've spent any real time with a fighter since Soul Calibur 2, though.

Sepultallica86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Sepultallica86

i found seth to be extremely frustrating, but thats about it.

Sepultallica86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#3  Edited By Sepultallica86

they have rebalanced it properly for super street fighter iv, as seth, and all AI for that matter have become less cheap and frustrating.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By raviolisumo

Find a character that you like. Find a good player of that character (on a stream, in vids, wherever). Watch them. It's worked for me. Watchings streams and and attending local tourneys (if your area has any that is) can help your game.

theQman121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By theQman121

Thanks. I actually just stumbled upon the GiantBomb SFIV guide, and I'm going to read through that thing like a novel until I can see how things work out. Hopefully it can shine some light on a few strategies on how I can take my game.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It's quite easy, however that's only because I used to play street fighter 2 at the arcades. Most of the special moves are the same, you simply don't know these moves I suppose so there is a learning curve. If you tried to kick and punch your way to victory, it's not going to work.

theQman121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By theQman121

Yeah. I'm basically going in with knowing how to throw a Hadouken, and not much else.  I was raised on Tekken 3 and Marvel vs. Capcom, which in my experience play a lot differently. I really like how SF feels different to me. Sure I've played SF 2, but this is my first time really spending time with one. Thanks for the input.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Shadow

Dude...fuck Virtua Fighter.  Right in its face

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jeffsekai

Virtua Fighter or ST

MMkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By MMkain
    @Jeffsekai said:

" Virtua Fighter or ST "

Yup, nothing hard about SF4. You need to spend more time playing, practicing combos and punishes in training mode, and reading.
    FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By FinalDasa

Ninja Guidan 2 was brutal 

It was never the difficulty per-say, more like the frustration factor. 

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @MMkain said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:

" Virtua Fighter or ST "

Yup, nothing hard about SF4. You need to spend more time playing, practicing combos and punishes in training mode, and reading. "
    Yea brah them 1 frame links are so fucking easy.
    MMkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MMkain
    @Jeffsekai said:

" @MMkain said:

" @Jeffsekai said:

" Virtua Fighter or ST "

Yup, nothing hard about SF4. You need to spend more time playing, practicing combos and punishes in training mode, and reading. "
    Yea brah them 1 frame links are so fucking easy. "
    Not all characters have necessary 1 frame links. Even then, you can turn most 1 framers into 2 framers with plinking. I did exaggerate what I said a little; however, execution for most characters in SF4 is a lot less strict than in other FGs.
    Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Plasma

A fighting game cannot be hard, only your opponents can.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By MrKlorox

Yeah. Seth is the reason I don't play SF4 anymore. I'd totally get SSF4 is it ever came out on PC.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think King of Fighters XIII is the current reigning champ of difficult to play due to super stringent timing type of game. Street Fighter is on the more reasonable end of 2D fighter.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always found Street Fighter 3 and Virtua Fighter anything to be the most difficult.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By casper_

@zekhariah:the trials in that game get insane at like #5.

i think the popular consensus is that SFIV is the most new player friendly/execution light game in the series but a 1F link is hard in any game.

i'd recommend using the huge amount of resources available online for AE on sites like eventhubs. pick a character you like then learn the ins and outs of the strategy and learn the trial mode combos and your execution will improve real quick. at the point when your execution becomes pretty good the mind game aspect (which is probably the most interesting part) becomes more important.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I find Street Fighter completely impenetrable but I'm really good at Virtua Fighter games. Figure that shit out.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#21  Edited By Hailinel
    Avatar image for zombiesatemycereal
    zombiesatemycereal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This series of videos helped me out a little bit. Also I always found Third Strike to be way harder to get into.

Loading Video...

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grab some beers, some pizza and some friends that are close to your skill level.

That's the only time i've ever had fun with Street Fighter IV.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Humanity

Jeff often says it and it's completely true that fighting games, primarily Street Fighter, are completely impenetrable to new players these days. There are so many techniques and moves not explained that people who have followed the series for years know about, that trying to be any good outside of a group of friends your own level is almost impossible. It literally requires hours of research and sitting down in the practice mode to train those 100th of a second frame links before you can even attempt to compete online where people have been hammering away at this game, literally, for years.

It's really depressing because I think they're really fun games too. I tried jumping in at Street Fighter X Tekken as the simplified a lot of things in that game while retaining a Street Fighter feel to it - but even that proved quite painful to do.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Petiew

@humanity: I'd disagree with Street Fighter being the most impenetrable. In fact I think SSF4 is one of the easiest fighting games to jump right into. All you need is a good grasp on your normal attacks and your special attacks to win. I've won numerous matches with Rose without using a single combo, and just getting in single hits when I can. It's just 1 on 1 and quite slow paced, so you have time to think of what you should be doing. It's not like Marvel where you get locked down with an assist, 100% comboed because you guessed wrong on a 50/50 mixup, and then get perfected because the same happens with your next 2 characters.

1 frame links, frame data, etc aren't really important unless you're aiming to play at a high/top tournament level. People that spend 100's of hours practicing are always going to be better than you. I think it's fair to say that if you've played 1000 hours of SSF4 you should beat someone who's played 6 or so. Only complaint I have is the challenge mode not giving you demnstrations. KOF does it, BB does it, Tekken does it. Some of those things are hard to figure out without knowing how it should look.

@hailinel: Fighting game bosses are the worst. I tried going through Blazblue's arcade mode again last night. Rage quit when Unlimited Hazama hit me from full screen with a super after absorbing my life with his hax field.

masterrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah SFIV is a very easy fighting game, it was made to be accessible for beginners.

I literally have no idea how games like Guilty Gear took off in the arcades, they are so difficult to play at even at a low level. Also unlike easier fighters its hard to even know whats going on lol

Don't look at fighting games like a normal game, its not DMC, your not going to be good after a week. Look at it like a sport. You play it over the course of years or even your life, and you just get better and better.

Try and jump in when a game first releases like Injustice, then you'll be able to get better with other people.

Eitje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could handle this game better than the series before this one! :P But I fail in this sort of games...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rawr necro; Street Fighter 2 on the hardest difficulty is still pretty spiffy, KoF has the most difficult motions, UMVC3 has the most sheer button presses, MK9/Injustice have the cheapest computer and by far the most interesting single player challenge modes.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MideonNViscera

This thread makes me wish I didn't trade in SSF4:AE and eBay my stick.

Also, it probably is the hardest fighting game of all time because of how many of us played it combined with how much easier it is to learn the game compared to SF2 thanks to the internet. I suck, but I could absolutely annihilate tons of people, just because I learned the bullshit.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

first pick goes to Marvel 2, second pick goes to Tekken Tag 2

Azarath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First? man, too many to pick from.

I'd say probably BlazBlue with a close second of Marvel vs Capcom 2.

But I mean playing a game gets easier when you are playing a character that you like imo.

Street fighter 4 is also a pretty tough game to really "learn"

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gokaired

SF4 is weird, it got easier as time went on. the medium on the original is much harder than it is then say SSF4

@masterrain said:

I literally have no idea how games like Guilty Gear took off in the arcades, they are so difficult to play at even at a low level. Also unlike easier fighters its hard to even know whats going on lol

Light weight! XD

KOF is definitely the hardest game but it's makes up for it by giving the player enough counter moves. KOF13 has got that down but as always their bosses are pure evil :(

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GnaTSoL

I just could not combo well ever in games like street fighter. linking hits with its super strict timing is crazy to me.

I tried to learn basic Ibuki links for a good month then I gave up. I wanna get back into it but..... ugh.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KOF 13 is the hardest fighter I've played.

I prefer 3D fighters tho, Tekken and Virtua Fighter being my favorites.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I remember posting in this thread when it was necro'd before, more necromancy! I've played like 4 more KoF games since the last one. I've also discovered that spamming Lariats > everything the AI can do in Street Fighter IV no matter what difficulty you're playing on; it's really amusing. That's some good AI.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.