Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

I Need Some SFIV Advice

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

Hey guys! I need some advice. 

I originally got into SF IV as soon as it came out. I was improving and getting better but then my brother lost the disc after I let him borrow it at his apartment. 
    I started watching some of loltima's videos and it has gotten me really pumped to start playing again. But, I want to get a fightstick but after googling everyone recommends a different stick and most of them are sold out and then the prices are jacked up on Amazon. Is there anywhere I can get a stick? Which one would you guys recommend? Any advice would be appreciated.
    logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By logson

I played SF2 on the SNES, so the Fightpad works out best for me. If you grew up playing SF on a pad, I could not recommend the Fightpad more. They're pretty much impossible to find, but they're going to be bundled with the PC version of the game according to 1Up. I can't comment on the quality of any of the joysticks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I would wait for new shipments, since every stick or pad I look at is sold out. Hori's website is getting new ones in July, apparently.

thecreambun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By thecreambun

According to the bombcast there will be made new fighsticks for the release of MvC2, so if you dont have any luck finding one before then you can just preorder one of those.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By lordofultima

Yeah, new sticks being released with MVC2, Not sure if you seen my video about the fightstick bitching or me modding it, but they're both available at my vimeo page (which I no longer use). As for arcade sticks in general, they're probably not going to make you better, you just have to make a commitment to Street Fighter to get better. If you're used to a pad I'd say stick with it, but if you're willing to take the initial performance hit to learn how to play on a stick, it's not a bad investment.

Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

Yeah, I am willing take the performance hit. Looks like I will have to wait until the MvC2 sticks come out because I can't find anything that isn't ridiculously priced right now. :/

Looks like I'll wait until the Mad Catz controller is avaialbe and use that. Then maybe I will replace the parts inside.
    slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By slinky6
    Agnogenic_delete said:
    Yeah, I am willing take the performance hit. Looks like I will have to wait until the MvC2 sticks come ... [more]
    MvC2 sticks were fake.   They aren't coming out.
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
    slinky6 said:
    Agnogenic_delete said: Yeah, I am willing take the performance hit. Looks like I will have to wait until the MvC2 ... [more]

Sounds like I will be waiting for a fight stick for a long time... I set up auto notifcations so whenthe SFIV sticks come in I'll know about it from a couple websites at least.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Vinchenzo

I would say get a cheap stick to make sure you like it. Then upgrade from there.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

I play on the X360 controller and do fine. Honestly, it really doesn't matter what you use to play the game, it's how you play it.

Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
    @Vinchenzo: Yeah, its what I plan to do. I want to get a cheap one that I can replace the parts with. :)
    slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By slinky6
    Jolly_Lolly said:
    I play on the X360 controller and do fine. Honestly, it really doesn't matter what you use to play the ... [more]
    Well the 360 pad does affect how you play, though.   Unintended inputs for the loss.
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
    slinky6 said:
    Jolly_Lolly said: I play on the X360 controller and do fine. Honestly, it really doesn't matter what you use to ... [more]
    Yeah, that is the main reason. When I have learned how to time moves to counter I would like to able to pull them off before its too late.
    Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    slinky6 said:
    Jolly_Lolly said: I play on the X360 controller and do fine. Honestly, it really doesn't matter what you use to ... [more]
    I'm saying if you get used to any controller enough, even the 360 one, you'll play fine, damn good even.

Blaming a controller for your lack of skills and spending $100+ on another one, and thinking you'll play god like right out of the gate, isn't the wisest move.
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
    @Jolly_Lolly: That isn't what I think. I realize that my skill will drop but I think that overall you can be better if your using a stick over a controller. I am not saying you can't beat someone who has a stick but I think using one gives you more potential I guess?
    Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    Agnogenic_delete said:
    @Jolly_Lolly: That isn't what I think. I realize that my skill will drop but I think that overall you can ... [more]
    Well I wasn't really aiming that comment at you or anything, hell I'd love to have one of those sticks for myself, but I'm just warning people to consider their purchases first.

Yeah, the stick would probably give you better handling and easier combos, but it will take some time before you truly begin to dominate with it (even longer if you've never used one before).

I've had a lot of friends who gave up on theirs, complaining that they weren't any better with them than with the X360 pads. You've gotta have a lot of patience with it.

If you're willing to dedicate the time to get good with it, I say go for it. All the pro's use them, so there must be some advantage I suppose.

Good luck.
    slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By slinky6
    Jolly_Lolly said:
    slinky6 said: Jolly_Lolly said: I play on the X360 controller and do fine. Honestly, it really doesn't matter what you ... [more]
    I never blamed the controller for my lack of skill.   I'm used to the 360 pad enough that I've done almost all the hard trials and gotten around 3500 GP with it.   Plus I know that once I finish building my stick I'll go through a period of being a huge scrub all over again as I get used to it.   All I'm saying is that with the 360 pad there are going to be times when you do something you really didn't mean to for no other reason than that the 360 dpad is garbage and doesn't accept the input.   Also, after the few months that I've been playing my 360 pad is getting worn out.   My right trigger is busted and whenever I let go of it, it counts as an input, and my dpad is all floppy.   The 360 pad will work for SF, but it is definitely not condusive to fighting games in the least.   However, I am part of the minority that thinks the 360 controller is better for SF than the PS3 controller. 
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By mike

I use the 360 controller's analog stick for SF.  Ah, I'm going to start a poll.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    slinky6 said:
    Jolly_Lolly said: slinky6 said: Jolly_Lolly said: I play on the X360 controller and do fine. Honestly, it really doesn't matter ... [more]
    Well, I don't think anyone should be using the D-Pad, but I agree that sometimes the wrong moves do come out from time to time.

It's still pretty decent though, and it'll hold over until (hopefully) more sticks come out.

Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
    MB said:
    I use the 360 controller's analog stick for SF.  Ah, I'm going to start a poll.
    Sounds like you might get interesting results. :D
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Linkyshinks

Try a Hori Real Arcade Pro or a bog standard EX model.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By slinky6

I suppose if you started learning the game and all your combos with the analog stick that'd be alright.   But I started with the dpad, so I'm kind of stuck with it unless I want to spend a few days sucking at the game to get used to the analog sticks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.