Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Is it Worth Buying?

Avatar image for coheedfavorhouse
    CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse

I know, with SUPER Street Fighter IV just coming out relatively recently, its less heroic version is being pushed to the wayside. 

BUT, after searching aimlessly for many hours, I just happened to stumble on this: 

Amazon Page on Street Fighter IV 

That's just over $10 folks. It appears that the release of SSFIV has pushed the price way down, or maybe it's been like this for awhile, I don't really follow the prices.    

But even for that 10$, is it worth it, or should I just wait for the Super price drop to inevitably come. (P.S., I'm not completely familiar with the differences inbetween the two games) I just remember loving the old street fighter games as a kid, because that's the only game I could beat my brother at. 

So, the question is: to order, or not to order?

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

If you're wanting to just play for fun and hopefully find a game or two (if you're lucky the servers are going to be dead) to mess around with, sure, it's worth buying. If you are looking for competeive play, then just get super.

Mandiggidy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Mandiggidy

Super just got price dropped to 29.99$ for a 20$ difference I would highly recommend Super, much better online, 10 new characters, ect, ect.........totally worth it

Avatar image for coheedfavorhouse
    CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse
    @Mandiggidy:  
    Like I said, I'm not really familiar with the differences. My girlfriend asked, and I was sort of ashamed not to be able to tell her. Fighting games haven't been something I've been into since i was 8 or 9
    copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By copycatzen

its not cause u wont find people online
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64

Go for Super.  Everyone has moved on to it.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By defaulttag
    @CoheedFavorHouse:  difference is the larger character roster in super and everyone has basically migrated to super. it might be difficult to find a lot of online matches for the original. i recommend just saving up for super street fighter iv.
    Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By lilbigsupermario

If you're tight on the budget and you're not planning to play online, I guess it's okay to get the SFIV for the cheap price.  But if you're planning to spend time on Street Fighter offline and online and you want to get immersed in the game, get Super Street Fighter IV.  It has a bigger roster of characters, better balanced system, much more fun online stuff like endless battle and more importantly, a lot of people are playing it online; so you'll enjoy the game more. :)

Kratos1805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kratos1805

I personally have the original but I suggest you getting the new one because Cody's awesome. (Seths still cheap as hell) 
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By c1337us

If you are planning to play competitively at all best to go with Super. Everyone (nearly) has moved on to that now. I haven't been playing SFIV for a while because of Blazblue so I haven't picked up Super myself yet but I will be very soon as well.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Icil

It started 40$ as a totally new game. Used, you could probably get it for around 30$ right now. 

In my opinion, there's no reason at all to get Vanilla SF4 anymore. The singleplayer is not that great and the 10 new characters are of much better quality than the vanilla characters.

SashaNYI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SashaNYI

The great thing about "vanilla" is the Time Attack and Survival modes which are a ton of fun. You can find used copies for 10-15 bucks, Not only that, but there are still plenty of people who play it online.
    bethw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bethw

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By xxizzypop

I just picked it up for about fourteen bucks. I didn't want to drop forty or so, not knowing if I was actually into Street Fighter or not (truth be told, this is my introduction to the series >_>) 

It's not a terrible buy, it's definitely good to play around with. If you think you're going to want to dedicate some serious time to Street Fighter though, go for Super. 

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Yes you should buy and yes it is worth it. 
    Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By killroycantkill

Get Super, I don't think many people are playing vanilla anymore.
    Giff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Giff

I would pick up Street Fighter 4 for 10 dollars and see if you like the game. I bought it over Super Street Fighter and I'm glad because I didn't like the game at all and saved myself 20 bucks.
    Even if you like the game the 10 dollar version should hold you over till there is a price drop for Super.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.