Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Just got my MadCatz Fightpad today! short review inside.

Farley_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Farley_Lives

Just had it delivered to me today. Got it from bestbuy.com Befoe they sold out. Kinda happy i managed to get the ryu, would've been better to get akuma, but who even knows how to find those. Anyway I played some street fighter 4 and alot of soul calibur to see how it works and the controller holds up. Then i played a little castles crashers for the hell of it.

Unboxing was rather annoying, anything in a clam-shell package is, but once i got my hands on it, i like how it felt. First of all the thing feels solid. It's has a thin layer of rubber on the sides and back. So even with some sweat on the palms the thing won't slip, me being the king of Palm Persperation that's a plus.

The D pad on this is made to be the major selling point. I think it should be too, its hard to explain how it feels exactly; blunty, it's good, not so blunty, it's responsive and precise, leaps and bound better then the 360 D pad. There's minimal croostalk too. What i mean by that is there 8 directions and when you hit foward it will go forward and not overshoot and send you jumping into the
    opponet. (Let's not forget you can map it to the Left or Right stick as well, via a slider switch on the reverse side.)

If you felt the buttons on the 360 controller thats what you can exspect here they feel the exact same just bigger. But that's not a bad thing, spacing is good too.

Now the shoulder buttons are... alright. My problems with them is they're too stiff. I feel like i have to press a little harder then i exspect sometimes especially the left side. It's also get confusing Cause LB is mapped to the left side while the LT is right, which is weird to get use to.

I'd would say if you play fighting games enough but are only in to spend 50 bucks on a controller, this is a good canidate. It's the best D-pad i've used in years and one of the very few times i liked a 3rd party controller. When playing I felt like I was pulling off what I wanted to do, and not just getting lucky imputs. (I play as sagat here FYI)  I tiger shot when i wanted, Tiger punches whichs were always harder for me to try to do are a breeeze now. I don't think this fightpad can compare to tournament level Joysticks. but I never liked sticks, can't stand having to keep something on my lap. It's a solid controller form madcatz which is hard to believe, So i give a passing grade in my book. Happy fighting.

Did you find this helpful? Let me know.
    Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Cool dude. I was thinking of getting this when I purchase SFIV in a couple months.

And I feel exactly the same way about having the sticks on one's lap...pretty annoying imo.

satseb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By satseb

going to grab one of these for my 2up.

Farley_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Farley_Lives

To be honest the more i play with it the more i like it. Feel free to ask some questions if you have any.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince

Sounds good. Might pick up Chun-Li.

Farley_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Farley_Lives

Good luck to anyone trying to find one, just don't buy one for more the 60 off of ebay or anything like it. More will be made just wait.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Megalon

Nice review. I'm still waiting for my Blanka one in the mail, unfortunately. 

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ImpendingFoil

Thanks for the review I found it to be really helpful.  Now whenever I see a fightpad in the stores again I'll pick one up, preferably the Chun-Li but whatever I can find I'll be happy with.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mike

I've been wondering about these fight pads.  Are they really $40+ better than an Xbox 360 controller?  I'm not really finding the standard controller to be that bad.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HandsomeDead

Does anyone know when these are out in the UK? I'm finding the normal pad far too annoying.

Farley_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Farley_Lives

I MB said:

"I've been wondering about these fight pads.  Are they really $40+ better than an Xbox 360 controller?  I'm not really finding the standard controller to be that bad.
    "
    I would say it varies from person to person.  For me it was worth the money, but if you feel you can get by with the standard controller there isn't a need for one. It's all stringent on how competitive you want to be.
    satseb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By satseb

I could play with a cold dead fish better than the 360 controller.

Farley_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Farley_Lives

Shameless Bump

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By granderojo

I would say this controller gets taking getting used to, I should have just bought one when SF2HD came out and gotten used to it then, and could had saved myself 25 dollars, I broke down and bought one on EBAY for 65.

Funny thing was I paid relatively low price for mine on EBAY, these things are going for like 70-80 dollars last time I checked.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By suneku

Hmm... I may pick it up if the price drops in the future.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By ImperiousRix

Good review.  It's making me want one of these things more and more.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Al3xand3r

The whole design and especially the d-pad seems to be inspired by (read: ripoff) the SEGA Saturn style controllers. How does it compare against those, if you've used any, as I thought mad catz sucks as a gamepad brand.

Farley_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Farley_Lives

Never played a saturn persay, but a lot of people compare to that.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Wolverine

I don't know man $50 is a lot for a wired controller.

Steve_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Steve_Evil
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Does anyone know when these are out in the UK? I'm finding the normal pad far too annoying."

I ordered from Shopto.net and got mine on launch day (well a day early, but they're always early), so they are out there, you just need to find them as I think stock shortage is a problem now.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By toowalrus

As soon as my Bestbuy has them in stock again I'm gonna pick one up...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.