Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Online play SF4 and GGPO.net

mbmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mbmonk

Online play for SF4 is and will be a hot topic. There are two ways you can get a taste of what the online play might be like.

1) SSF2 HD Remix - Capcom is hard at work rewriting their network code for this game. Presumably they will use the same code for SF4. You can play the beta of SSF2 HD Remix if you purchase Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando. This is for the 360 only.

2)  GGPO.net, a PC application.  From my limited understanding this is the original breakthrough for online fighters. Capcom is copying it's functionality. It is free, and almost any modern computer should be able to run it. While it is easy to install, finding the actual ROMs is challenging (and illegal in many countries). But the online fighting is very impressive.

There are some pretty hardcore Street Fighter players on GGPO.net. So be prepared for stiff competition.

Here are the games that GGPO.net currently support:

• Street Fighter Alpha 2 (US 960306)

• Marvel Vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes (Euro 980112)

• Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire (Euro 970519)

• Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara (Euro 960619)

yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By yagami

I am all for it, of course, the less lag the more equal and competitive gameplay. And if I recall correctly, CAPCOM is actually writing a netcode at this very moment.

Schizoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Schizoid

GGPO is a fantastic program, I haven't used it in a very long time, I want more 2d fighter goodness. :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.