Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Player matches...fuck you!

• 83 results
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Stang

Anybody else here just have terrible experiences with player matches? It seems this is where the scum of the SF community go. Not only do they have garbage attitudes, but quitting 2 hits from death seems to be applauded. What the hell people, what is wrong with you?

First Guy - Perfected round 1. He hit me once round 2. Got me down to 50% round three. After the loss, he quit the room and sent me a lovely message telling me how I am a shity scrub, and how flowchart kens are all homos that love giant dick. I kid you not. 

Second Guy - Garbage Honda. Destroyed him every round, then he quits with 15% health in the 3rd round. I ask him why he quit, he simply responds he has no idea what I am on about. Cute.

Third Guy - A legit Elf. It goes all the way to round 5, and I some how get a pretty massive life lead. He whiffs an ultra, and immediately quits. No response, but I see him still playing....so I know it was yet another rage quit.

I was done after that. What the hell, does this happen to you guys as well? I had more people rage quit today then the past 3 months combined, coincidently this was the first time I made a public player match room.

Pathetic.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

And that is why I don't do player matches.  I've actually played against some really good people in ranked matches so that's where I go.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

The second guy might have had a seizure :P 

you dont know 

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By bed

I play player matches because i'm AWFUL at SFIV and i won't get such a bad record by playing in Player matches.  
    on the PS3, i NEVER have problems like this. the only problems i actually have are with people who play really unfairly (which is expected for a fighting game.) 

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By DanielJW

Well, in my 24 hours of playing this game, nobody has quit on me. However, this is most likely due to the fact that I've been destroyed every match. 

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By animateria

Huh, when I used to play it on my PS3. (Now I just occasionally play the AI on the hardest setting, they are a bit too predictable though.)

That kinda stuff never happened. People would quit after the match and the only mail I got was friend invites.

Of course this was the couple few months when the game first came out, so I have to assume everyone decided being a dick was a better solution.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Stang
    @ZombieHunter said:
    " The second guy might have had a seizure :P   you dont know  "
    Haha, perhaps. Personally I think he/she/it is just a little bitch that can't stand taking a loss, but you may be correct :p
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By napalm

Player Matches are all I play currently because my game isn't at the level I play at because of my busted controller. I can get by pretty well, but I'd rather not go into Championship Mode without a Focus Attack button to get through walls of Tiger Shots.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By lordofultima

Well he had one thing right, the loving huge dick part.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Daryl

Are you new to online gaming or something? 

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Tiwi
    @lordofultima: HEY!  it's called a joystick
    DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    @tiwi said:
    " @lordofultima: HEY!  it's called a joystick "
    snap
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Scooper

Player matches suck. I agree. People still pick the boring characters of ranked and championship and if you beat them once they very rarely keeo playing for more rounds. The only place I get bad messages in SFIV is the Player Matches. In Championship it's all GGs.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Randolph
    @Scooper said:

" Player matches suck. I agree. People still pick the boring characters of ranked and championship and if you beat them once they very rarely keeo playing for more rounds. The only place I get bad messages in SFIV is the Player Matches. In Championship it's all GGs. "

Well, why stick around to get brutalized by a player blatantly superior to you?  People would rather play those on their own skill level, that they at least stand a chance against.  Feeding the ego of some super player and losing so badly you may as well go eat a sandwhich at the start of the round and get the same result, isn't fun.  People get sick of that one super player who keeps coming into every single lobby and running the joint.  It really is annoying to average players.  Everyone taking turns losing to one guy who can't realize he should maybe move on himself and seek players on his own level is not fun, it's the anti-fun.  It sucks all the fun out of the game.
    AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AURON570

Funny story:

I decided to play a player match and set the filters so it searched for "Same Skill". And so I got into a round, he played Ken, I played Rufus. He was worse than me! I cannot remember the first round too well, but I won with about 10% health. In the second round, I got off a few sweeps and throws, then he disconnected.

I was so happy with myself ^_^ Then I proceeded to play a few more matches (I turned off the same skill filter because it wasn't getting any results) and got completely obliterated.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Scooper
    @Randolph said:
    " @Scooper said:

" Player matches suck. I agree. People still pick the boring characters of ranked and championship and if you beat them once they very rarely keeo playing for more rounds. The only place I get bad messages in SFIV is the Player Matches. In Championship it's all GGs. "

Well, why stick around to get brutalized by a player blatantly superior to you?  People would rather play those on their own skill level, that they at least stand a chance against.  Feeding the ego of some super player and losing so badly you may as well go eat a sandwhich at the start of the round and get the same result, isn't fun.  People get sick of that one super player who keeps coming into every single lobby and running the joint.  It really is annoying to average players.  Everyone taking turns losing to one guy who can't realize he should maybe move on himself and seek players on his own level is not fun, it's the anti-fun.  It sucks all the fun out of the game. "
    Why are you telling me this? I never said I am dominating people. On the contrary, a game can come down to the wire and I win I usualy get a nasty message and a disconnect. I'm not here to suck the fun out of people's game by not giving them a chance, if it's player matches and I can tell the guy I'm playing against can't throw a fireball I give the guy a chance and then leave myself because it's not the type of player I'm looking for.

That's why Player matches suck. If you want to fight people your own skill level go fight in championship mode because everyone in that grade will be around the same level (well, you will occasionaly fight someone who's only in that grade because he has to and should probably start in G1 if he had the choice).

Player matches suit no one, if you don't want to fight great players, play Championship mode G3 until you naturaly get better and move on to G2. If you are great or think you're great and want to fight people at the same skill level then fight people in G1 or SG*. You loose nothing in championship mode so it's not like ranked where you loose points. You can only gain points it's just how much that's decided by loosing/winning

*Yeah, I know you loose points in SG but people in SG don't play random Player matches anyway.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Stang
    @lordofultima: I recall you saying in a recent video how you love to ride the rails with Guile. Something we should know about?

@Scooper said:

"  I'm not here to suck the fun out of people's game by not giving them a chance,

I am!
    NateDogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By NateDogg

Hard to say since I dont do player matches that often.. But skill level you encounter will definately vary. 
    Obviously if you stay in Championship mode you'll play ppl at least ranked closer to yourself or in your category. 

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Stang
    @NateDogg: Yeah, but shit gets stale. I have about 32,000 points, I see the same damn people everytime I try to do a g1 championship mode match. I was looking for variety, I got it....a variety of retarded assholes.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lordofultima

Yeah championship mode I don't use because it's impossible to find games late at night. Pretty much all player matches for me. As for riding rails, naw man that ain't me. I've grinded a few in my day, however.

Gunner_Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gunner_Thor

To me, player matches are the best opportunities to get a good fight and actualy learn smothing from it as opposed to the one stop you have in CM and ranked.  In CM, you have a slew of random fights most of which are against scrubby players that grinded their way to G1 thouggh you DO occasionally get a really good fight.    Yes I win points but I never learn anything from a single match because the next one is usually a world of difference from the previous fight. 

The problem is that if you win, you cant be sure if it was a fluke or not, and if you lose, thats it, you may not meet them again for a while.  Give that same person a couple more games and they may learn you and THATS where the real fight happens, all of a sudden you have to switch it up and think about what you're doing instead of going through the motions.

I go to CM to try out new combos, I go to Player match to have some real fight sessions.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Stang
    @Gunner_Thor: CM is a joke really. I have seen people with 50k + points suck more ass then people with 500 points back in G3. The best fights in G1 are against people who happen to be on my friends list, so why bother. 30k + points is ridiculous, I am ashamed of myself.

We played back in the day, if I recall your Vega was pretty tough. We should play soon.
    Gunner_Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gunner_Thor
    @Randolph said:
    "@Scooper said:

Well, why stick around to get brutalized by a player blatantly superior to you?  People would rather play those on their own skill level, that they at least stand a chance against.  Feeding the ego of some super player and losing so badly you may as well go eat a sandwhich at the start of the round and get the same result, isn't fun.  People get sick of that one super player who keeps coming into every single lobby and running the joint.  It really is annoying to average players.  Everyone taking turns losing to one guy who can't realize he should maybe move on himself and seek players on his own level is not fun, it's the anti-fun.  It sucks all the fun out of the game. "
    The only way you grow as a player is getting beaten down by players better than yourself. 
    It does everyone good to get wrecked hard once in a while.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lordofultima
    @Gunner_Thor said:
    " To me, player matches are the best opportunities to get a good fight and actualy learn smothing from it as opposed to the one stop you have in CM and ranked.  In CM, you have a slew of random fights most of which are against scrubby players that grinded their way to G1 thouggh you DO occasionally get a really good fight.    Yes I win points but I never learn anything from a single match because the next one is usually a world of difference from the previous fight.   The problem is that if you win, you cant be sure if it was a fluke or not, and if you lose, thats it, you may not meet them again for a while.  Give that same person a couple more games and they may learn you and THATS where the real fight happens, all of a sudden you have to switch it up and think about what you're doing instead of going through the motions. I go to CM to try out new combos, I go to Player match to have some real fight sessions. "
    If you win or lose in Championship mode, it is NOT a fluke. Part of playing Street Fighter competitively is being able to adapt to situations and read your opponent quickly. If you're slow like me and take many games to feel out a player, that mode and tournament play in general will be less successful for you. I think Championship and Ranked mode teach you to adapt within one round of playing an opponent, so in that sense you learn quite a lot.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Stang
    @lordofultima: I don't know about you, but I get worse playing against random assholes. The vast majority of people on Live are utterly horrible, and use tactics that are, well....scrubby. Playing them like you play an advanced player does not work. I have to use the same shitty tactics they use to win. I actually have to mash during block strings occasionally, that is how bad it gets!
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#26  Edited By Symphony

I rage-quit all the time. It's great. I'll rage-quit while I'm finishing someone with an ultra just for fun. I'll rage-quit when they finish with an ultra just to see what sorta message they send me. I rage-quit halfway through the first round, I even rage-quit if they take too long at the character select screen (if they haven't chosen by the time the clock hits 15, I'm out, damn slowpokes). Sometimes, I won't rage-quit, I'll just choose Gief and spinning lariat spam while browsing the internet on my laptop. 

I am the reason why Player Matches are no fun and I did it all so you would post this thread. Bwahahahaha!

Gunner_Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gunner_Thor
    @Stang said:

" @lordofultima: I don't know about you, but I get worse playing against random assholes. The vast majority of people on Live are utterly horrible, and use tactics that are, well....scrubby. Playing them like you play an advanced player does not work. I have to use the same shitty tactics they use to win. I actually have to mash during block strings occasionally, that is how bad it gets! "

EXACTLY, you can't use mindgames on a scrub because they don't know enough to be fooled. 
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Stang
    @Symphony said:
    " I rage-quit all the time. It's great. I'll rage-quit while I'm finishing someone with an ultra just for fun. I'll rage-quit when they finish with an ultra just to see what sorta message they send me. I rage-quit halfway through the first round, I even rage-quit if they take too long at the character select screen (if they haven't chosen by the time the clock hits 15, I'm out, damn slowpokes). Sometimes, I won't rage-quit, I'll just choose Gief and spinning lariat spam while browsing the internet on my laptop.   I am the reason why Player Matches are no fun and I did it all so you would post this thread. Bwahahahaha! "
    Hahaha, best post in this thread. Nicely played Symphony.
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#29  Edited By Symphony
    @Stang said:
    "Hahaha, best post in this thread. Nicely played Symphony. "
    Oh, you think I'm joking. Teehee.
    thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By thatpinguino  Moderator

player matches are kinda a coin toss, i have found maybe ten really good players who knew their combos and links in and out.  More often than not i find people who mash dp or their character's equivalent and do it so constantly that building a real offense is not worth the effort because a good player would never do that.

My real problem with player matches and really online in general is there is no character variety.  Every good player i've played has used ryu or balrog with 5 ryus to every rog.  How am i supposed tol get better when i face similar tactics from the same characters all the time.  

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Stang
    @Symphony: Not at all! I just thought it was funny. I have had a few people do some of the shenanigans you described to me before. Nothing gets to me more then when a random asshat hits me with an ultra to win the game, and then disconnects in the middle of it. It has happened to me only a handful of times, but damn.....it sucks.
    Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Gregomasta

I really only stick to Champ Matches.

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AniMoney
    @Symphony said:
    " I'll just choose Gief and spinning lariat spam while browsing the internet on my laptop.   
    I swear this is what most Gief players do.
    Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Stang: Are you on PS3 or 360? Because I'm really late into trying to learn how to play this game with the PS3 version, and want someone to practice with (AKA: Get owned against until I git gud :P)
    Gunner_Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Gunner_Thor
    @AniMoney said:
    " @Symphony said:
    " I'll just choose Gief and spinning lariat spam while browsing the internet on my laptop.   
    I swear this is what most Gief players do. "
    Actually, thats a pretty effective strategy against baby Sims.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Stang
    @SuperSecretAgenda: Eh, sorry....only rockin the 360 version :[
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SuperSecretAgenda: If you want to practice you can add me. PSN is the same as my GB name. 

I don't know really. I gave up on Championship mode the other day after it connected me to about 30 people from Asia. I think I may have pulled off one parry that whole time. I spent some time in player matches, and while I ran into a couple of douches (one who I had two close rounds with and then he destroyed me - then left; the other I perfected and left) the majority stuck around for a decent set of games and were pretty friendly, messaging etc. I think its just indicative of gaming communities as a whole (though SF4 seems to reside in the lesser-of-evils camp).
    Mrbiscuit101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mrbiscuit101
    @DanielJW said:
    " Well, in my 24 hours of playing this game, nobody has quit on me. However, this is most likely due to the fact that I've been destroyed every match.  "
    This. I suck harder than a vacuum.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dbz1995

I'll be honest here, I have quit during a match-however, it wasn't out of rage, rather the fact that I went WTF from seeing how fucking awesome they were.

Mind you, this was on Marvel vs Capcom 2.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By lordofultima
    @dbz1995 said:
    " I'll be honest here, I have quit during a match-however, it wasn't out of rage, rather the fact that I went WTF from seeing how fucking awesome they were.  Mind you, this was on Marvel vs Capcom 2. "
    You are part of the problem.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Stang

You quit because somebody was too good? I would love to get my ass handed to me in a random player match.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By dbz1995
    @lordofultima said:
    " @dbz1995 said:
    " I'll be honest here, I have quit during a match-however, it wasn't out of rage, rather the fact that I went WTF from seeing how fucking awesome they were.  Mind you, this was on Marvel vs Capcom 2. "
    You are part of the problem. "
    @Stang said:
    " You quit because somebody was too good? I would love to get my ass handed to me in a random player match. "
    I stopped doing it after realising that they don't get the win, which is very stupid within fighting games...if I do get my ass handed to me now, I learn to take it like a man.
    Gunner_Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Gunner_Thor

the best part of fighting games is when your gaming session goes from 2-18 to 6-14, etc.  Seeing your game improve at the hands of a better players is the way it's been since the early 90s.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Stang
    @Gunner_Thor: Yup. Up until about a month ago, I was all about beating bitches up, nothing else. Now, I would much rather get raped by a high level player then rack up wins against a decent player. Problem is, my name is not LordofUltima and I don't have access to the cream of the crop.

I hate you Loltima :(
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Stang: Speaking of getting raped... I haven't faced you in a while.  Wanna fight a few matches?
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Stang
    @FluxWaveZ: Sure! I won't be on until later this afternoon, but I will shoot you an invite if I see you playing.
    Neon941

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By Neon941

I actually go fight player matches when I feel the need to just relax and not really care about winning, hence why I play as Dan a lot. You aren't wrong about the scum of the Street Fighter world gathering there (tons of people playing as Ken who have no idea how to play as him) but I don't tend to have too many problems with rage quits.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Stang
    @Neon941: Im the worst Ken on Live, please don't make fun of me. I try!
    Neon941

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By Neon941
    @Stang: No! You're a horrible human being and you don't deserve to play Street Fighter!
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Stang
    @Neon941: No really, I suck. It is just the people I beat suck more :)

How to win with Ken, a simple 3 step guide created by me:

1. Jump kick ----> sweep. Ken's jump is superior to the rest of the cast. Make sure to jump at every opportunity. It works.
    2. Throw 3 lp srk in a row. Bitches don't know what is going on, it is like you just did some crazy voodoo on them.
    3. If somebody is stupid enough to try anything more then a 2 hit blockstring, mash ultra. That will show them. Credit goes to JR Rodriguez for this strategy.

Follow those steps and you will pissin' on people in no time...SG here you come!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.