Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Playing SFIV again...

wfolse1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By wfolse1

With the impending release of SSFIV, I've decided to jump headlong back into good old vanilla SFIV.  The results have been mixed. 

A few intensely frustrating nights have passed and i think that I'm starting to return to my previous skill level, mediocre.  I've been playing a good bit with my usual main, Abel, and also trying to learn a few new characters, primarily Balrog.  This has been particularly interesting because the move to a charge character is a more significant one than to another quarter-circle type character.  It's sort of a revelation when you realize that you are basically supposed to ALWAYS be holding down-back

As as aside, i've noticed something interesting about the game's online user base.  If you use matchmaking to find a ranked match, many of the players are mediocre at best.  This is where you see the most Kens, Akumas, and Ryus.  I'm not trying to say that these are crappy characters or anything like that, I just feel like a certain type of player gravitates to those characters in addition to the players who actually know these characters well, if that makes sense.  Also, i'm not trying to insinuate that I always win against these guys, because I certainly don't.  Alot of times, these players will use tactics that I intellectually know how to deal with, but in the heat of the match my frustration and tension works against me 

On the other hand, you have player matches.  This is by far where the majority of the highly skilled SF players reside, in my experience.  Almost every loss against one of these players is a learning experience for me.  They beat me soundly, often with characters that I rarely go up against and with tactics that I am unfamiliar with.  As a result, these player matches are where I am spending most of my time in the game.  I'm curious to hear if you guys feel the same way. 

Will

wfolse1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By wfolse1

With the impending release of SSFIV, I've decided to jump headlong back into good old vanilla SFIV.  The results have been mixed. 

A few intensely frustrating nights have passed and i think that I'm starting to return to my previous skill level, mediocre.  I've been playing a good bit with my usual main, Abel, and also trying to learn a few new characters, primarily Balrog.  This has been particularly interesting because the move to a charge character is a more significant one than to another quarter-circle type character.  It's sort of a revelation when you realize that you are basically supposed to ALWAYS be holding down-back

As as aside, i've noticed something interesting about the game's online user base.  If you use matchmaking to find a ranked match, many of the players are mediocre at best.  This is where you see the most Kens, Akumas, and Ryus.  I'm not trying to say that these are crappy characters or anything like that, I just feel like a certain type of player gravitates to those characters in addition to the players who actually know these characters well, if that makes sense.  Also, i'm not trying to insinuate that I always win against these guys, because I certainly don't.  Alot of times, these players will use tactics that I intellectually know how to deal with, but in the heat of the match my frustration and tension works against me 

On the other hand, you have player matches.  This is by far where the majority of the highly skilled SF players reside, in my experience.  Almost every loss against one of these players is a learning experience for me.  They beat me soundly, often with characters that I rarely go up against and with tactics that I am unfamiliar with.  As a result, these player matches are where I am spending most of my time in the game.  I'm curious to hear if you guys feel the same way. 

Will

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Icil

I play Championship exclusively, but the way you dropped Player Matches makes me want to try it some time. I no longer get learning experiences from shoto characters (it's just the dp that you 'learn' from). Sometimes, I do find some gem fights where I feel like I lost for the right reasons (as opposed to shotos).

Also, I am terrible at charge characters. Every time I charge for too long, my 'dont-be-a-pussy' instinct kicks in and I decide to let moves go when I should've waited =/ 

I can't wait for SSF4's lobbies =D

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By skrutop

I haven't really tried any player matches, Will.  Maybe I should give them a shot.  I've been playing Championship mode for the most part.  The skill level of the people varies widely, so I don't necessarily learn anything.  I tend to either breeze through matches, or get hit so hard by combos that I'm wiped out in a matter of seconds.

wfolse1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By wfolse1

Interesting that you both mention championship matches as your main source of competition.  I like the champion match system, but i've had an enormously difficult time finding champion matches this past week.  That being said the matchmaking in general in the game is horrible.  Maybe I'll give it a try in the coming week. 

@skrutop: I totally know what you mean about playing matches with players of WIDELY differing abilities.  I honestly feel like that is one of the biggest failures of the matchmaking in that game.  I'm fortunate enough to have a few people that I play with who are at my abilities or better, so it isn't a huge deal for me, but I can see it being a pain for many players. 

@Icil: I think Balrog is a good charge character to learn for the very reasons that you just described.  He has a ton of really good normal moves, and even a bunch of good normals while crouching, which is basically how you play your matches.  Also, you learn how to start charging way early so that you almost always have a charge ready.  A good example of this is Balrog's bread and butter combo: j.RK, c.LP, c.LP, c.LK, headbutt, ultra.  I start charging down-back instantly after jumping forward in the air so that I can let the headbutt loose whenever I need to.

jaycee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jaycee13

i agree player matches are the way to go. Its so much more fun getting to adapt to the person your playing and to know your not gonna get a mashed srk/ultra in the face at any attempt at mixups, kara throws ect. Although sometimes its funny to do it on purpose.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Stang

If you want to play some time I promise I won't hold down back.

Unless you pick Fuerte. Fuck that guy.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Oh man, i got my ass kicked 17 times in a row online today. So if you ever feel like kicking the crap out of someone look no further haha.  Maybe i should retire with the old SFIV :(

Anyways, I still have not found out which person i want to main yet! Is that a bad thing? Because i have had the game for a while now, and i suck with everyone :P

I have not tried Able, and El Fuerte or whatever his name is seems really fast and thats what i like.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Icil
    @Stang said:
    " If you want to play some time I promise I won't hold down back.  Unless you pick Fuerte. Fuck that guy. "
    Never friend me, Stang. 

I tried some player matches tonight, and I realize that blind-picking is why I play Championship mode. Fucking everyone counterpicks El Fuerte with a charge character.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#9  Edited By ImperiousRix

I've been doing the exact same thing.  I've been able to get back into somewhat of a fighting shape playing Championship online as well as playing at the arcade across the street from my school.  It's been up and down, but I did beat up on a solid 'Gief at the arcade that's energized me. 
    Probably will pick up the playing closer to release date, but it doesn't hurt to start training now.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Icil
    @wfolse1 said: 
    @Icil: I think Balrog is a good charge character to learn for the very reasons that you just described."
    Nailed it. Balrog's the only charge character I've finished training with. I like throwing his upper/sweep punches to mix up my opponent.
    10MP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 10MP

Player matches are good but rarely do i find a great player randomly. The problem is that everyone is split up into so many different areas(ranked,playermatches,g3,g2,g1,sg).

I would really like to play people on here more often but you guys never accept my invites.

wfolse1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By wfolse1

Thanks for the comments guys, lots of interesting opinions.  I play on XBL and if anyone would like to add me my GT is WillieCuatro4.

Jemenez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jemenez
    @Stang said:
    " If you want to play some time I promise I won't hold down back.  Unless you pick Fuerte. Fuck that guy. "
    Lets play.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Stang
    @Jemenez: Any time, GT is Da Stang. I have turned into a bitch lately though and won't play if there is any noticeable lag. I suck ass compared to a month or two ago as it is, I need all the help I can get!
    Heylook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Heylook
    @wfolse1:  I'm just getting back into SFIV too, not that great yet. Maining Sakura right now.

GT: Vipe89

Add me if you want to play a few :)
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Scooper

Yeah I've gone from almost entierly championship to 90% player matches now and it's great. Alot more people use interesting characters, more people use mics and less people mash.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Scullinator

I stick to championship mode because I like that it does not show your opponent's character selection.  Creating a match works better cause you can kick people with lousy internet connection.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By CptChiken
    @wfolse1: what you trying to say about Akuma fool!  
    and yes... player matches is where its at, less mashy, less kens, its all good :)
    misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By misterpope
    @wfolse1 said:
    "With the impending release of SSFIV, I've decided to jump headlong back into good old vanilla SFIV.  The results have been mixed. 

On the other hand, you have player matches.  This is by far where the majority of the highly skilled SF players reside, in my experience.  Almost every loss against one of these players is a learning experience for me.  They beat me soundly, often with characters that I rarely go up against and with tactics that I am unfamiliar with.  As a result, these player matches are where I am spending most of my time in the game.  I'm curious to hear if you guys feel the same way.  Will "

I'm basically the same as you, except I play Akuma, so I must suck. Kidding. 

I usually go with Championship, where usually the first battle will be against some sucker, and i may lose. But the next to battles are always highly entertaining and instructive to me.  

I'll give Player matches a go though if thats what works for you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.