Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Should I just buy a fuckin' SE FightStick?

• 75 results
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Supermarius

weirdly enough ive seen some of the original design sf4 TE sticks recently at gamestop. Also all the gamestops in my area now have the mvc2 version of the TE stick. You shouldnt have to use amazon to get one.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @lordofultima said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    " @lordofultima said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

"   @Napalm:  Well your ready to roll with a fightpad, but with a fightstick that comes out of the box off par, you will have to be prepared to fork out yet more money bringing it up to standard.  The way I see it, get a fightpad, the only Joystick worth owning is a TE (-save up for it and wait for prices to drop further when the new one is out), if not, a SE with significant customization improvements.  "

SE runs for like 80-90 WITH full sanwa parts, which is less than the TE even at the discounted rate it's at. The new one is already out, so once original TE stock is gone it's gone. "

I did mean secondhand knowing cost is an issue. I don't know about the vast US, but here in the UK TE's are still floating around, and at very reasonable prices too. Now that the hype has died, many but the most ardent SF fans seem to be offloading them.

@Napalm

said:

" I gave in and purchased a second FightPad. I one-day'ed it, so it should be here tomorrow. If it comes tomorrow then I will go ahead and post my training regiment plus a shitload of online live matches as well. Shit, this fuckin' better get here tomorrow morning. "

The plus to that is fairer local competition now, none of your friends can complain about their controller being lesser.  Just out of interest, which one did you get, as in which character?.  "
    Amazon is about as second-hand as it gets, don't know where else you could find a normal TE nowadays. Not really any mom & pop stores around here. I found SE sticks at FYE for full price, which is bs since you can just get it on Amazon for hella cheap. "

"Mom & Pop" stores - that's the first time I've heard that term, I had to Google it. We have a few in London, in our suburbs.  
    Avatar image for infinitestatemachine
    InfiniteStateMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@Slippy said:
    "

Just go for it, i've heard it's not a bad stick at all. If only you had a PS3 though, you could have gotten the superior HRAP3 instead.

"

Oh man I didn't even know about that one. Looks awesome, I may have to pick it up eventually. 

Looks like a good candidate for a custom job since it's all black.
    Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Slippy
    @InfiniteStateMachine said:
    " @Slippy said:
    "

Just go for it, i've heard it's not a bad stick at all. If only you had a PS3 though, you could have gotten the superior HRAP3 instead.

"
     Oh man I didn't even know about that one. Looks awesome, I may have to pick it up eventually.   Looks like a good candidate for a custom job since it's all black. "

Yeah, HORI make great sticks. The Fighting Stick 3 is supposedly an awesome entry level stick as well, and probably incredible value if you stick some Sanwa in it.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#55  Edited By lordofultima
    @Supermarius said:
    " weirdly enough ive seen some of the original design sf4 TE sticks recently at gamestop. Also all the gamestops in my area now have the mvc2 version of the TE stick. You shouldnt have to use amazon to get one. "
    The Marvel TE costs full price brah, no one wants that when it's the same stick as the normal TE.
    j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By j_drace

I too grow up playing fighting games on the Sega Genesis, but I prefer the stick.  I own both the stick and the pads and I feel that the stick is more responsive and will improve your execution and it's always a lot easier to spin the stick in a 360 motion then to do it on the pad.  Not only that, but the buttons and actual stick can all be replaced so I would say just buy the stick.

j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By j_drace
    @Pixelzombie said:
    " Sticks are much better for throwing at a wall, should you be a person with a lot of pent-up rage that finally surfaces when you lose a few matches, or if someone sarcastically replies to your forum thread.   Also, look at that picture. Who's in charge of the couch there? Mike fucking Ross and his big shiny jacke- fightstick. You want to be in charge. "
    Yeah, you don't want to be like that bum with the hat.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By MrKlorox
    Stick, I should have waited to get one of those. Instead I got a Hori EX2 six-button stick for $60 a while back. Don't waste your money on a six button. The current stick deal is a great one. Fuck these naysayers.

I still swapped out the 4-way gate for an 8-way and the ball-top for a bat. The buttons are the same though and that's absolutely fine.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By napalm

I'm hookin' dat FightPad, y'all!

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By MrKlorox

Blasphemy!

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By napalm
    @MrKlorox said:
    " Blasphemy! "
    Your face is blasphemy!

!
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " Just get the TE, SE's still break alot. "
    Maybe he doesn't have enough cash bro .
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By napalm
    @turbomonkey138 said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    Maybe he doesn't have enough cash bro . "
    YOU don't have enough cash, BRO!

Okay, sorry. Honestly, The Tournament Edition is out of my price range, which I mentioned in the OP.

GET WITH IT PEOPLE. JEEZ.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Napalm said:
    " @turbomonkey138 said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    YOU don't have enough cash, BRO!  Okay, sorry. Honestly, The Tournament Edition is out of my price range, which I mentioned in the OP.  GET WITH IT PEOPLE. JEEZ. "
    You added that long after I posted that. Then if you dont have money to get a TE dont get a SE because you WILL want to mod it with better parts.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By napalm
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @Napalm said:
    " @turbomonkey138 said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    YOU don't have enough cash, BRO!  Okay, sorry. Honestly, The Tournament Edition is out of my price range, which I mentioned in the OP.  GET WITH IT PEOPLE. JEEZ. "
    You added that long after I posted that. Then if you dont have money to get a TE dont get a SE because you WILL want to mod it with better parts. "
    No, I didn't actually. I bolded it before I posted it to make sure people didn't tell me that. But whatevs - s'all good, dawg.
    InfiniteStateMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Slippy:  Yup I got the fighting stick 3, it's a great stick. I use it mostly for emulators these days since I have the TE though.  I can def see myself buying another one for having friends over etc.  It's great for platformers too.
    Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Slippy

@InfiniteStateMachine said:

" @Slippy:  Yup I got the fighting stick 3, it's a great stick. I use it mostly for emulators these days since I have the TE though.  I can def see myself buying another one for having friends over etc.  It's great for platformers too. "

Do you have Windows 7 by any chance? I really want to pick up a second, cheap stick for SF4 on PC, but I run Win 7 64-bit which has crappy driver compatibility on the FS3. The HRAP3 will run on PC out the box, but I really want to get an additional FS3 just so I don't have to keep dragging it back and forth between PS3 and PC.
    InfiniteStateMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Slippy: I use XP but there was a guy who released a 3rd party driver for the Fightstick 3.  You can use it without the driver but with the driver you can press the home button to switch the joystick from hatswitch to dpad. This helps for emulators that dont let you use a hatswitch for controls

You can get the driver here

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=170859
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Slippy: If it's 360 compatible you can use the XBCD 360 drivers. They work wonderfully for my EX2 in Vista 32. If your particular device isn't already supported, but is still a wired 360 controller (of any kind) you can easily add the device id to the ini file.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Stang

Only scrubs use a stick or fight pad. Men like me use the 360 pad.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By lordofultima
    @Stang said:
    " Only scrubs use a stick or fight pad. Men like me use dicks. "  
    Fixed that one.
    CowboyBebopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By CowboyBebopper

Once you play with a proper FightStick, you'll realize why you paid the money. SF4 was meant to be played with a FightStick. Fireballs are a cinch to pull off, quarter circles are easy as pie, and even complex maneuvers won't kill you. I'd def. pick one up.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Stang
    @lordofultima: Thanks Ultima, I don't know what I would do without you man. Seriously.

/slits wrists
    Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Slippy
    @MrKlorox:  
    It would be a PS3 version of the FS3 that it'd buy just so that it works anywhere, but thanks anyway! 

@InfiniteStateMachine:

Thanks a lot, i'll look into it. I might consider dual booting Vista 32-bit just to gain some compatibility with things like this.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By lordofultima
    @RsistncE said:
    " @regularassmilk: Fuck. You. (please don't take that seriously, I'm just messin' around haha).  I guess we could be twins...you can be Liquid. Or Solidus. Or any of the lame snakes basically. "
    Stop derailing thread, thanks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.