Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Street Fighter IV and the quality of charm

sgt_match

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Edited By sgt_match

I purchased a used copy of Street Fighter IV several months ago.  It didn't grab me.  It seemed horribly complicated and I only played it for a few hours, snagging only one achievement for completing a challenge room. I was a Mortal Kombat guy, anyway. 

However, after reading about the relationship and Japanese name switching between Vega, M. Bison and Balrog, my interest was rekindled.  It is a silly reason to experience a rennaisance, but, there you have it.  I have now received two more acievements and I am still not any good at the game.  Why do I keep playing it? 

Probably just for the cutsecnes and rediculous nature of the plot threads.  I've beated arcade mode on "medium" with four characters:  Ken, Ryu, Vega, and M. Bison.  I don't have an interest in being able to pull off the moves at will, much less actually learn frame counts and reconize the need to cancel out of moves.  But I keep putting hours and hours into the arcade mode with a feverish "get through with just one more character" mentality.  I can only liken this obsession to harvest moon: " I HAVE to get this crop of potatoes in.  I just NEED to. "

The truth is I've been charmed.  The art style and flat out rediculous nature have me hooked, at least for a few days at least.  If you'll excuse me, I have to swear at the screen some more and get back to playing exclusively with the left analog stick and right trigger and bumper.

sgt_match

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By sgt_match

I purchased a used copy of Street Fighter IV several months ago.  It didn't grab me.  It seemed horribly complicated and I only played it for a few hours, snagging only one achievement for completing a challenge room. I was a Mortal Kombat guy, anyway. 

However, after reading about the relationship and Japanese name switching between Vega, M. Bison and Balrog, my interest was rekindled.  It is a silly reason to experience a rennaisance, but, there you have it.  I have now received two more acievements and I am still not any good at the game.  Why do I keep playing it? 

Probably just for the cutsecnes and rediculous nature of the plot threads.  I've beated arcade mode on "medium" with four characters:  Ken, Ryu, Vega, and M. Bison.  I don't have an interest in being able to pull off the moves at will, much less actually learn frame counts and reconize the need to cancel out of moves.  But I keep putting hours and hours into the arcade mode with a feverish "get through with just one more character" mentality.  I can only liken this obsession to harvest moon: " I HAVE to get this crop of potatoes in.  I just NEED to. "

The truth is I've been charmed.  The art style and flat out rediculous nature have me hooked, at least for a few days at least.  If you'll excuse me, I have to swear at the screen some more and get back to playing exclusively with the left analog stick and right trigger and bumper.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Alright... but I'm pretty sure there are not many people who have bought SFIV for its arcade mode.  It's all about playing against other people.

newmarcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By newmarcom

If relationships and art styles have you charmed, the King of Fighters series might just overwhelm you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.