Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Street Fighter TE Fight Stick Won't Work with my Laptop :(

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Legend

So, I have a PS3 TE Fight Stick which used to work great on my old laptop. It's perfect for playing fighting games on the PC. I was really excited to use it for my new laptop to play SFIV which now looks much better than it did on my old laptop thanks to the newer graphics card and bigger screen.. but the frikkin' thing refuses to work. I tried reinstalling the drivers and everything that I could think of to fix this, but it just won't work. So, I searched on google to see if other people are having the same problem, and I was surprised to find out that it was caused by Madcatz making the stick only compatible with an old USB host controller called UHCI (Universal Host Controller Interface) which as seen in this thread on shoryuken is far from being universal. Now I'm only left with the option to start digging for a USB Expresscard that supports UHCI, or otherwise give up on using the stick with my laptop. :( I'm posting this as a warning for anyone who's thinking about getting a PS3 TE Stick and intends to use it for the PC. I don't have the Xbox 360 TE Stick so I haven't tested it, but apparently it doesn't have the same problem which makes me suspect that Madcatz can fix this with a driver update, but they still haven't done so for some reason despite all the complaints they are getting from costumers

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By StaticFalconar

This is why I don't use madcatz and instead opt for Hori. 

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By AniMoney

yeah my friend has a ps3 fightstick and he can't use it on his pc either. It's pretty lame because it was advertised as working on PC right? 

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By lordofultima

PS3 TE's don't work with NVIDIA chipsets. If you had this problem on a desktop, you could just install a PCI USB card that had a VIA chipset. Not sure what you can do to remedy this on a laptop, however.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By demontium
    @Legend: PS3 one isn't optimal for PC in general. 

I suggest you get a used SE and mod away, you get the same quality (if done right) as TE for cheaper.  

Well, it will be a different box tho.
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Thrawn1

does anything happen when you plug the stick in? maybe you could use xpadder. (keymapping program)

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By demontium
    @lordofultima said:
    " PS3 TE's don't work with NVIDIA chipsets. If you had this problem on a desktop, you could just install a PCI USB card that had a VIA chipset. Not sure what you can do to remedy this on a laptop, however. "
    There is a patch somewhere for that, but its a hassle since the PS3 tech is not optimized for anything PC while the 360 one was made in part for GFWL, which is what PC SFIV runs on.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By lordofultima
    @demontium said:
    " @Legend: PS3 one isn't optimal for PC in general.  I suggest you get a used SE and mod away, you get the same quality (if done right) as TE for cheaper.   Well, it will be a different box tho. "
    SE is not the same quality. You would understand if you had a TE. The body of the TE is what makes it so great.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By demontium
    @lordofultima said:
    " @demontium said:
    " @Legend: PS3 one isn't optimal for PC in general.  I suggest you get a used SE and mod away, you get the same quality (if done right) as TE for cheaper.   Well, it will be a different box tho. "
    SE is not the same quality. You would understand if you had a TE. The body of the TE is what makes it so great. "
    Yeah, but that doesnt matter to me as I DO have a TE (remember that topic where I complained like a bitch). 

Anyways, buy a TE to save you stress and If you like the bigger body. 

Both can have amazing parts.
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Legend

More than a year has passed since I posted this thread, and I have just found a solution at last. After giving up on my PS3 TE stick ever working with my laptop, I found out that a USB 3.0 adapter is compatible with UHCI which is the USB host controller used for Madcatz PS3 TE sticks. I bought a USB 3.0 Epress Card adapter similar to this oneand my stick now works perfectly on my laptop. If anyone has a similar problem, I hope this helps you.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By TechHits
    @Legend said:

More than a year has passed since I posted this thread, and I have just found a solution at last. After giving up on my PS3 TE stick ever working with my laptop, I found out that a USB 3.0 adapter is compatible with UHCI which is the USB host controller used for Madcatz PS3 TE sticks. I bought a USB 3.0 Epress Card adapter similar to this oneand my stick now works perfectly on my laptop. If anyone has a similar problem, I hope this helps you.

So having a usb 3.0 port on a machine using a NIVIDIA chipset will allow a PS3 TE work?
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Legend

@TechHits: Yeah, as long as it's compatible with USB 1.1 devises, it should work.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By scarace360

USB 3.0 finding a use. 

J_Las_Vegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By J_Las_Vegas
    @TechHits:  I wouldn't count on it working as my TE doesn't work with the USB 3 ports on my system.  It's going to be hit and miss with any non-intel chipset.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.