Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Trouble finding a match

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JoelTGM

Anyone else have trouble finding a match?  Player matches were ok because when I finally found a game, we'd keep playing over and over.  In ranked there is a ton of downtime because it is too hard to find a match, let alone a fair one.  Either it says "unable to play", or it's full, or I get disconnected mid-game, or my opponent has around 1000 BP and will steal the few points I have.  Heck, my very first ranked match was against someone with just over 1k BP.  It's addicting, but I spend more time server browsing than I do fighting.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By PureRok

Nope. I don't look for matches. I just turn on the join in-game and jump into arcade. You usually get into a fight almost instantly.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JoelTGM

Hmm, I tried that a few times but all that ended up happening was I'd get pulled out of my arcade fight, and then the person would quit once I loaded the lobby, or maybe they got disconnected.  I'll be sure to try it more though, didn't think of actually hosting a match.  Thanks.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JoelTGM

Today I've been hosting games and it works good, except I've only played one person who had 500 points, the rest had 1000 - 2000.  I had like 60, now have probably 0.

Darklyte510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Darklyte510

This is my first SF game and I took some pretty bad beatings when I started out too. After a week or so of playing online I managed to start beating people lol. Now I can beat most people I meet with under 2K battle points. You just gotta stick in there and practice :)

Oh yeah and I agree with PureRok: having ppl jump in while you play in arcade mode is probably the simplest way to play against someone online.

TheWadeBrigade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By TheWadeBrigade

You should try doing player matches some. I only did ranked matches at first but have recently started doing player matches and I think they're more fun because you can play people multiple times in a row so less time waiting for matches, plus most people actually choose different characters if you fight them multiple times so you get more experience playing against non-kens.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar

think of a ranked match as a money match, since you are literally taking their points away if you win. As broken as the system is, that is what it represents and not a general exp counter where if you play long enough, you'll still get ahead. I'd say stick to player matches for now til you get a main character down to the point where you feel confident enough to put your points on the line. I know with zero points you can only go up from there but realistically everybody including me that plays ranked matches go super serious since our own points are on the line.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.