Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Why can't I beat Zangief?

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Baillie

Seriously, as of late, everytime I go up against a Zangief no matter what I do, I lose. What the hell am I doing wrong? 

Any tips for Ryu?

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Scooper

Control the advancement of Zangief with fireballs and footsies. If Zangief's got metre then be a little more sporadic with your fireballs because he can easily EX Green hand through them. Remember if he green hands you too deep and you block it you can punish it before he recovers. A unexperienced Gief won't realise this and you can catch them out alot if they do it. Beware that alot of Gief's spam alot. Even worse then shotos so if they do then well... good luck.

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By insouciant
    @Baillie:
    Which Street Fighter are you talking about?  I guess you're talking about Street Fighter IV, because Zangief is pretty easy to beat in Street Fighter II: The World Warrior.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By napalm

Because you suck.

Seriously. You were asking for it.

EDIT: Okay, to be serious. Keep your standing fierce attacks in mind. It's good for stuffing a lot of Zangief's advances.

Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Vade

Because anyone manly and skillful enough to use the Red Cyclone (AKA Buster Jack) is obviously better in the game. I'd use him myself but I can't handle the raw unadulterated soviet damage.

What you should do at the start of the match is just stand there in disgust of your lackluster choice of character and beg for forgiveness in the form of the lariat. You're not even worthy of his SPD.

Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Necrotrophic

zone the shit out of him. 

fireball spam, when he jumps over srk. use the lp one that way you canpotentially get an ultra.

spam fireballs. 

also, if hes down and yer next to him jump in the air and bait a lariat on yer way back down fierce kick

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By lordofultima

zone, don't jump at him, don't let him jump at you. throw fireballs from safe distances, use standing roundhouse as anti-air when you aren't sure uppercut will connect.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Baillie

I forgot I posted this, I must've had a bad day with giefs, I can pretty much hold off any good one, sometimes they get me though. 

It's now onto those damn Sagats.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By demontium
    @Baillie said:
    " Seriously, as of late, everytime I go up against a Zangief no matter what I do, I lose. What the hell am I doing wrong?  Any tips for Ryu? "
    I do not use ryu, but i find that any AA DP randomly will hit against nooby XBL players. 

As far as official Ryu advice, consult @Gambit:
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AniMoney

Just throw fireballs and uppercut when he jumps until you get backed up into the corner. Then air tatsu out and repeat. If I played Ryu that's what I would do.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lordofultima
    @demontium: How can one "randomly" get hit with an anti-air DP? It's not like the more experienced players will block once in the air, this isn't Street Fighter Alpha. No AA DP is random, there isn't a limit break slots feature of the uppercut that will cause you to randomly kill yourself by using it...although maybe I'm on to something! YEAH
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Stang

Try beating a good Gief with Ken. Fuck.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By demontium
    @lordofultima said:
    " @demontium: How can one "randomly" get hit with an anti-air DP? It's not like the more experienced players will block once in the air, this isn't Street Fighter Alpha. No AA DP is random, there isn't a limit break slots feature of the uppercut that will cause you to randomly kill yourself by using it...although maybe I'm on to something! YEAH "
    By AA I meanth the move type, but way to overanalyze. 

I guess I played too much MVC2, because when I pick akuma, i equate his AA assist type to a SRK. 

What I meant to say is: RANDOM SRKs FTW!
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lordofultima
    @demontium said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    " @demontium: How can one "randomly" get hit with an anti-air DP? It's not like the more experienced players will block once in the air, this isn't Street Fighter Alpha. No AA DP is random, there isn't a limit break slots feature of the uppercut that will cause you to randomly kill yourself by using it...although maybe I'm on to something! YEAH "
    By AA I meanth the move type, but way to overanalyze.  I guess I played too much MVC2, because when I pick akuma, i equate his AA assist type to a SRK.  What I meant to say is: RANDOM SRKs FTW! "
    You're speaking gibberish now, Marvel speak. Don't understand moon language.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By demontium
    @lordofultima said:
    " @demontium said:
    " @lordofultima said:
    By AA I meanth the move type, but way to overanalyze.  I guess I played too much MVC2, because when I pick akuma, i equate his AA assist type to a SRK.  What I meant to say is: RANDOM SRKs FTW! "
    You're speaking gibberish now, Marvel speak. Don't understand moon language. "
    Haha. Told ya. 

Anyways, YOU ARE VERY EDGY!
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Baillie
    @Stang: I have been playing Ken as of late and he has some big advantages with some big disadvantages. I'm trying to find who I'm more comfortable with.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Stang
    @Baillie: Ken has advantages over Ryu? What? Alright, he can kara throw and has a quicker crouchiung forward (slower recovery then Ryu though). Ken's srks are worse, his fireballs are worse, tatsus...wait for it.....worse. Can't combo into ultra 10 different ways, can't trade into ultra. 

Besides the two things I mentioned first, what advantages does he have? I use him because Ryu is boring as hell, not because he is a well rounded character (which he is not).
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By napalm
    @Stang: Ken is flashier!
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Stang
    @Napalm: True, sadly flashy does not get you wins :\ Guile is the flashiest of the them all though, maybe Baillie should use him.

SEE WHAT I DID THERE?
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ken is just a ton more more to play, and feel more versatile. Slightly pissed at his lack of upgrades in Super, but nowhere near as furious as I am about Gen.

Fuuuuuurioooous!

Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Necrotrophic

yeah gen was already pretty low tier and i think they nerfed him pretty hard.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Necrotrophic: The stuff they've taken out is in the name of changing up the way he plays, apparently, but I'm totally not sold. mk - hands was my main point of damage, and the invincibility from ex oga gave him his only decent escape move.

Again, FUUUUURIOOOOUS!

Would be nice to have this cleared up and to actually see if he plays any differently/better. I only really want to carry on with Gen/Ken, so its pissed me off a little.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Scooper
    @Stang said:
    " @Baillie: Ken has advantages over Ryu? What? Alright, he can kara throw and has a quicker crouchiung forward (slower recovery then Ryu though). Ken's srks are worse, his fireballs are worse, tatsus...wait for it.....worse. Can't combo into ultra 10 different ways, can't trade into ultra.   Besides the two things I mentioned first, what advantages does he have? I use him because Ryu is boring as hell, not because he is a well rounded character (which he is not). "
    Ken's got a better rushing game and I think mixup game then Ryu. Ken's EX Tatsu is really crazy and you can do some really sneaky crossups with it unlike Ryu's and Akuma's for instance which is a little easier to spot and react to. I think his Tatsu is better, for instance you can crossup EX Tatsu into a hit confirm into another tatsu into a throw/block string tick kara throw/overhead/SRK. Ken's forward medium kick is a total pain in the ass in online matches and I've seen alot of Ken's who are really successful just s.forward and c.forward all day. s.forward to kara throw is a big deal too and it's also very hard to stop on laggy conenctions.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Stang
    @Scooper: The problem is his tatsu is unsafe, even on hit. Against the clueless, I can do an endless tatsu combo loop after a ex tatsu hits, but people that bad are rare. I agree with cross up ex though, I rape bitches with that. Standing forward can get you owned also against somebody competent, that damn thing is like Dhalsim's limb. Hedgehog is a master of hitting he with a super from Gen when I step kick, you can't use it carelessly. 

I agree with you break down, that is why I use him. Despite all that, Ken is still a struggle to win with, most of the shit I do is very gimmicky and only works once in a while. I would be ecstatic with just hadouken properties like those of Ryu, along with a sweep as quick as Ryu's. I would be god tier if I had those.
    Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Necrotrophic

really? you like Ryu's sweep kick more than Ken's?

Ken's is faster i would imagine his is better.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Stang
    @Necrotrophic: No, Ken has the slowest sweep of the shotos. Ryu can combo into sweep (aka the Daigo combo), Ken can't. That is bullshit.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Baillie
    @Stang: I don't know why I like Ken more than Ryu. I just find that he is easier to combo with I think, Ryu may have an infinite number of ways to combo into an ultra, but I just prefer Ken's combos overall, especially his ex-srk. When you hit that out, it's like a mini-ultra on it's own.  

So far though, I still play Ryu slightly better, but that's obvious since I've been playing with him for so long.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Stang
    @Baillie: Well when you think you know how to use Ken hit me up on Live, I wanna play you regardless of the shitty ass lag we will have. 

Most important thing to learn is kara throwing, once you learn to mix that into your game you will hard to beat. So many mix up opportunities, especially against the mashing bastards.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Baillie
    @Stang: I can't see that happening anytime soon. I find it nearly impossible to do his kara with a 360 controller...
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By dbz1995

In Soviet Russia, Zangief owns you.

CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CharlieTuna

Pretty easy answer to this one, just pick Seth.

mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mthe1337one
    @Stang said:
    " @Napalm: True, sadly flashy does not get you wins :\ Guile is the flashiest of the them all though, maybe Baillie should use him.  SEE WHAT I DID THERE? "
    I C WUT U DID THAR 

XD
    biggblack86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By biggblack86

gief isnt too much of a threat once you get down his motions. like any grappler, in any fighting game, keep his big ass away from you. if he cant get off any of those c-grabs, you should be pretty cool,

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.