Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Wow, I suck

Tangeu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Tangeu

So I went out and bought SF4 on a whim ( a very excited whim).  I used to be alright at fighting games (never good but alright) and now I get to realize just how much I actually suck.  I have a hard time winning arcade mode on easiest and it takes me 20mins to a half hour to do one combo in challenge mode (or it takes that long to give up).  It feels as if I will never be able to pull those off in battle.  I haven't tried online yet, mainly because I doubt it would be fun for me.

I am asking for any advice to get better (other than "just play it a lot"), any specific tips or tricks for a beginner?

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

I must say I am in the same camp as you. I suck myself, and I want to get better but it is going to take forever. There is no advice I can give, unfortunately.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I hate the combos in trial.

I mean, yeah they are good combos, but it isn't often that you are going to get an opponent in a completely defenseless state like that.

Just keep training and trying out characters until you find one that is right for you.

I mean, I was having trouble on Easy mode on Tuesday until I discovered I am apparently awesome with Sagat.

I just beat Hardest mode today.

Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Dauragon

I'd hate to say it, but "just play it alot" is pretty much the only  way to stop sucking. Also like lordxavierbritish said, rotate characters until you find one that fits your playing style. That will make it a lot easier (and more fun) to progress though the game.

RozzleDozzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By RozzleDozzle

Don't worry about challenge mode, it is indeed what the title suggests, a challenge. I had a hard time pulling off some of the combos. As for tips on how to get better, definitely keep practicing. It's not as hard as you think! Try some different characters around. As I am sure you already know or have been suggested to do, start practicing with Ryu. Ryu is a pretty well rounded character, and learning the basics with him will help you learn the basic movement inputs with over half of the characters. It will really help you nail that QCP + P combination of buttons. You will be doing them like they were nothing!

Once you have that down, it is really easy to get past most of the Easy arcade modes. Once you can do that confidently, it is all up to practice. It's not that you suck, it is more that you have not memorized the timing of how the game is played. The more you play, the easier it will be to recognize when characters are vulnerable and when a good time to attack is. Also, try not to be too aggressive, that is definitely a mistake that many newcomers make.

Ryu is good for a lot of the characters, but it is also good to practice with some characters that have charge moves, such as E. Honda, Guile, and Blanka. These characters can be very effective, and you may like their style more than characters similiar to Ryu.

Anyway, just keep at it! Once you break into it, you will really enjoy it and you will see why it has so many hardcore fans!

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Kratos81
    LordXavierBritish said:
    "I hate the combos in trial.

I mean, yeah they are good combos, but it isn't often that you are going to get an opponent in a completely defenseless state like that.

Just keep training and trying out characters until you find one that is right for you.

I mean, I was having trouble on Easy mode on Tuesday until I discovered I am apparently awesome with Sagat.

"
    Are you the guy that just whooped my ass up and down with sagat?
    Farley_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Farley_Lives
    LordXavierBritish said:
    "I hate the combos in trial.

"
    Wow, same story with me. I tought i was good with Ryu but then i tried Sagat.... It was magical. So my advice is try Sagat, He he.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By LiquidPrince

There really is no tips for a fighting game except the condemned tip of, play it a lot. It's all about practice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Like any game, practice the shit out of it, if you want to become real good, thats really the only way.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Randolph

Practice isn't going to get you very far though, really.  As a guy once told me, "Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect".  You may want to look up some SF4 videos on Youtube, and google "Domination 101".  Me?  I actually like being bottom tier, hell, I play as Dan.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Demilich
    Randolph said:
    Practice isn't going to get you very far though
    You've got to be kidding.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Randolph said:
    "Practice isn't going to get you very far though, really.  As a guy once told me, "Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect".  You may want to look up some SF4 videos on Youtube, and google "Domination 101".  Me?  I actually like being bottom tier, hell, I play as Dan.
    "
    Ironically enough, I have been using the CPU versus CPU feature a lot to test out character on character matches when the human element removed.

Dan wins almost all of his matches.

I don't know why, and I don't know how; but apparently Dan is a bad ass.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.