Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter V

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 16, 2016

The fifth numbered entry in Capcom's signature fighting game series revamps the game's mechanics yet again while using a new system for post-release content.

Fightstick on PC??

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Hey guys! I tried googling this, but couldn't really find a straight answer. Mostly, people more talking about compatible sticks with the ps4... My question is for those who have played the PC beta. Did anyone try and use a PS3 stick? Did it work like with SF4? Currently, I have a ps3 madcatz TE that I just plugged into my usb 3.0 and worked like a charm. I don't think I had to download any drivers or anything. Thanks in advance!

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

To my knowledge barely any sticks (if any) were properly supported in the beta. In the full game I would expect much like SFIV that sticks for 360 will work through basic 360 controller emulation and you will most likely be able to get a PS3 stick working through a keyboard emulator.

grandCurator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, even in USFIV my PS3 stick worked perfectly fine by default with no need for an emulator. Basically, any stick WILL work regardless of whether the game supports it natively or not thanks to emulators, but I imagine that they will be native when it is released.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grandcurator: Ok, cool. I guess I'll just have to wait till release then. I have never used any controller emulators before, so I don't really know how those work, but as long as that is an option, that's good.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If any normal dinput sticks don't work with basic plug and play that's some basic functionality missing from a fighting game. I am 99% sure you will be able to just plug it in and go

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yeah, I had to use JoyToKey to bind the keyboard to my stick for the PSV beta, both my PS3 and my PS4 sticks. They both work fine in USF4, GG XRD Sign, skullgirls, kof 13, etc etc etc, so I fully expect SFV to have complete support for any stick at launch.

And even if it doesn't, setting up joytokey or xpadder is a matter of minutes at most.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Xbox sticks will work out of the box. 360 ones would probably be cheaper.

NickyDubz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By NickyDubz

Did they make Xbox one sticks work on Windows yet?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

My stick didn't work on PC. I had to joytokey it. EVERYTHING ELSE FINDS IT NATIVELY THOUGH. SCREW U CAPCOM (I love your game so much please sell it to me)

GiroMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The SFV beta on PC would only recognise X-input devices (basically xbox pads/sticks) and all D-input devices (PS3/PS4 and everything else pretty much) didn't work with my testing.

It would be foolish of Capcom to not have d-input support at launch considering the game also on PS4 as that is what all the new sticks/pads are compatible with. However they haven't confirmed anything for the final release as of yet.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb: It was a beta, there will be a big outcry if other sticks don't work at launch since joy2key adds a tiny amount of lag which would be a big problem for pro players

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@belegorm: Yeah I thought as much, actually not holding this stick thing against the game too much for now. I will be legitimately pissed if they for some crazy reason won't add it on release though.

Also now that an outside source mentioned input lag, I'm blaming all beta losses on that. (if I ever lost which will neither be confirmed nor denied)

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb: FWIW the lag is small enough that it's perfectly playable even for pro players, but they wouldn't consider it the greatest practice for upcoming events. Although then again, most don't take playing online that seriously at all, but what can many of them in the U.S. do considering arcades these days.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By HadesTimes

Normally, any stick that will work with your computer(you have driver installed and it works) will work on any game you use it in. It will just map the buttons as if your stick was a controller. Shouldn't be an issue. So if your PS3 stick works on Steam right now, it will work. Don't worry about the beta, there is a TON of stuff not included in it. It's just testing a specific part of the game and that's it. It's isn't the final game or even most of the final game.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hadestimes: I like that answer. Ok, cool. This whole post has just been to confirm buying it on PC day one for now, because that would be the cheaper route versus, I would need to buy a ps4, a fightstick and the game for console... Haha. I am going to be buying a ps4 anyway, soon, but if I don't have to shell out the extra $200 for a new stick, that would be optimal. :D

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sfighter21: Why not just get a brook converter or that new pcb?

longish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

During the beta I used my 360 Mad Katz Brawl Stick and had no issues.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By John1912

@sfighter21: I have always heard the PS3 sticks dont work. I have a 360 TE stick which works with PC which was why I got the 360 version when SF4 originally came out.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john1912: PS3/PS4 sticks work on PC with joy2key or x360ce. Also I would imagine they'll patch in support on day 1.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john1912 said:

@sfighter21: I have always heard the PS3 sticks dont work. I have a 360 TE stick which works with PC which was why I got the 360 version when SF4 originally came out.

I actually been using PS3 stick on PC without any problems or add-ons needed. Just plugged into 3.0 slot and it downloaded it and worked great. Now, I'm sure it will work there for SFV cuz Capcom announced this week that PS3 sticks will even work on PS4... which is great news for when I get it on there! :D

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ps4 Hori rap4 Kai worked fine for me for usfIV with no input mapper or any nonsense required. Havent tried sfv yet though.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@sfighter21: PS3 sticks working on PS4 has nothing to do with them being natively supported in SFV. They're completely separate solutions. As far as I'm aware, there has been no confirmation that SFV for PC will natively support D-input which is what PS3 sticks use. Up until now it has only supported X-input in the various beta phases which is what Xbox sticks use. You will still be able to use your PS3 stick, but you may have to do it through an X-input emulator.

ExK4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If stick support is like the beta you should be able to use anything the DirectInput drivers using a utility called x360ce.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sfighter21: Just to reconfirm, Mark Julio from MadCatz has stated that at release, the PC version of SFV will only support X-input natively, which means Xbox controllers. D-input, which Playstation controller use, will not be directly supported at launch. While there's always a chance they may patch it in at a later date, if you're hoping to use a PS3 stick on your PC version of SFV tomorrow you're going to need an X-input emulator.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, had to set up xpadder to use my ps4 stick.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: It's more than a chance. He specifically said they were working on the firmware.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By StarvingGamer

@hunkulese: I dunno, as far as I can tell all he said was "it'll be updated" which, as a non-employee of Capcom, could either mean he knows something or he's assuming something. Either way, he's probably right, but I wouldn't feel comfortable declaring it as confirmed or anything. Unless he said something further about it that I must have missed?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hunkulese

@starvinggamer: He clarifies later in the conversation that it was a typo and he meant d-input.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese: Ah, somehow completely missed the tweet about MCZ updating their stick firmware.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sniper26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reading through this thread, I am trying to figure out what stick will be the cheapest to get. I am playing on PC and just looking for a stick to use. Doesn't have to be fancy or anything like that. Amazon has some for $40, but I don't know if they will work SFV? Any suggestions? Thanks!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Codariocalyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sniper26: anything with support for xbox 360/one will probably will natively. anything for ps3/4 will need an input mapping program until capcom patch in direct input but everything should work. im using a ps3 hori stick with xbox360ce which required minimal effort and has been fine. feel free to link something if you want it confirmed though

Sniper26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Sniper26

@codariocalyx said:

@sniper26: anything with support for xbox 360/one will probably will natively. anything for ps3/4 will need an input mapping program until capcom patch in direct input but everything should work. im using a ps3 hori stick with xbox360ce which required minimal effort and has been fine. feel free to link something if you want it confirmed though

So: This one?

That would be okay with using Xbox360CE? Any other cheap/relatively cheap Xbox native ones? Seems odd that SFV works right away with Xbox while it didn't even release on that platform.

Codariocalyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Codariocalyx

@sniper26: it would work, it would more than likely require something like xbox360ce or another wrapper program but it would work. seems pretty cheap and i dont really know much about the budget xbox fight stick market to give you other suggestions but yeah.

Also its more just that playstation controllers have always kinda not been supported as well as xbox ones, which makes sense considering microsoft. Its pretty weird capcom dont support both from launch given they did in SFIV however

Sniper26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@codariocalyx: I don't really need a bargain one, but since I am just getting into SFV, I figured that would be the best. Would a more expensive stick be that much better? This one thing where I am completely not sure about. not even sure where to start.

Codariocalyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sniper26: im far from an expert, but as someone whos just researched a bunch when looking for mine. Fight sticks usually you have two tiers. ones that are just adequate for someone looking for a..well fight stick shaped controller. and then ones which use arcade components, usually which are more responsive and durable, personally its down to how much you want to get out of it. as someone who wasnt budgetar-ily? constrained would spend more to guarantee something of quality at least in terms of a reliable brand. On a quick google i havent heard many good things about the stick you linked except for people who are into modding which id imagine isnt what you want to do. so i might suggest upping your price range to something hori, madcatz, qanba branded?

Sniper26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@codariocalyx: that was my conclusion as well it seems. What stick did you end up getting?

This one seems better? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001M22VCU/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1456182869&sr=8-3&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=xbox+fightstick&dpPl=1&dpID=51j2CRMPTdL&ref=plSrch

Thanks for all the help!

Codariocalyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sniper26: I would say that was almost definitely a better choice of stick, i bought a hori real arcade pro v3 sa, which is dated now, i think jason on the latest UPF said that he had the V4 later version however, if you're unsure about fightsticks. buying straight into those might be a risk if you never use it again, so i think the one you linked seems like an acceptable middle ground

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By crithon

for the past 14 years, my friends and I have been using a USB to PS2 controller adapter so we could continue using the fight stick on the PS2. It costs like 5 bucks, but since the recent 8 years SF4 was such a big hit, it's not difficult to just plug in a 360 or a PS3 fightstick and use DS3 tool to read it

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sniper26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: perfect. I'll go ahead and get that one. I somehow didn't even see that one. Thanks!

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@sniper26: As someone who owns one of those Mayflash sticks you linked to previously, you can do an awful lot better even at that price point. It'll work on PC right now with SFV (I got it running pretty painlessly with JoyToKey) but it won't feel great, especially after some extended use.

The cheap stick I used to recommend is the Hori Fighting Stick Mini 3 but they're hard to find now - the one showing up on Amazon is $80 but I bought mine for half that when they were launched. If you can find one cheap, I've also got it working on SFV with JoyToKey and like the Mayflash one, it should work natively once d-input is patched in.

Sniper26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sniper26

@dave_tacitus: I've ordered the street fighter V Mad Catz linked previously for $80. Looking around (albeit a little since I've been at work), that seems to be the best for sub $90. The mini 4 is only $40, I can't even find a mini 3.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sniper26: The Mini 4 certainly looks like it's got the same components as the 3, but I've not tried one so can't say for sure. Good luck with your new stick! There's definitely a lot to be said for a compact design, especially when I see the monstrous Qanba of mine laying in bits on my table.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dave_tacitus: @sniper26 Oh god I had one of those mayflash sticks, nearly completely turned me off to the idea of arcade sticks entirely. When you try rather basic combos and can't be consistent on it, then borrow someone's better stick and immediately can perform them far easier... yeah.

Sniper26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dave_tacitus: I actually ended up returning my mini 4 and just getting an Hori rap 4. The full size just seems to work a lot better. The mini was nice, but in the long run I can't see myself using it much. My hands kept hitting!

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sniper26: To be honest, that's what I ended up doing last year. The cheaper sticks just didn't feel as good as one with arcade parts.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.