Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter V

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 16, 2016

The fifth numbered entry in Capcom's signature fighting game series revamps the game's mechanics yet again while using a new system for post-release content.

Is V Worth It If You Have Ultra IV? (PS4)

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, I've only ever dabbled in SF games. The one I played the most was SF2 turbo HD for the ps3. A few months ago I got Ultra Street Fighter IV for the ps4 and I think it's really fun. I'm not a hardcore player or anything like that (I use a controller) since I play it here or there for bits at a time. With all that said, is it worth picking up V? It's on sale this week along with dlc characters and it does look fun, even if it looks really similar to IV.

I'm not really into the FGC so any advice or opinions would be appreciated! Thanks! ^_^

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There's definitely some fun to be had with it. If you're not that heavily invested in the genre or series, it might not be as obvious what the differences are beyond differences with what the meters are and how you can use them etc. It should certainly feel familiar enough. SFIV was very traditional in the representation of the cast, nobody really had new moves or anything, they just kind of recreated characters whole cloth from old games. SFV consciously does more to differentiate everyone both by re-tooling their general move-sets a bit and also by having the core mechanics manifest differently on an individual basis. Instead of a unified mechanic that's basically the same for everyone, like the Focus attack of SFIV, the V-Skill and V-Trigger of each character in SFV is different. Other than that, a lot of the changes might not be obvious if you're not digging into the technical side of things.

Do you play with other people online/locally or do you play for the single player modes vs AI? If it's the latter, SFV is quite weak in that regard (although USFIV ain't so hot there either) and those options are quite limited.

Honestly, if you're looking for a new fighting game to dabble in, I'd probably also recommend giving some consideration to trying a different series. There's so much good stuff out there. If single player content is a consideration, there are definitely games that do it leagues better than Street Fighter, including some on PS4 you should be able to find reasonably cheap, especially if you're not necessarily worried about also having a big active online scene.

Also, a regular-ass controller can be a perfectly fine way to play fighting games! I play on stick because it's what I learned on and what is comfortable to me, but there are so many amazing players that use a pad, including the current players most dominant in SFV!

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Redhotchilimist

I think that if the Street Fighter style is what you like, picking up the one from this decade for cheap isn't a bad move. It's much less feature complete than 4 is, but I like that game a lot. Just don't get it for the single player content, it still doesn't even have an arcade mode. Consider how much you value stuff like gear loot/event matches/a major story mode/a great tutorial, and then weigh that against having to play an anime fighter(guilty gear xrd) or a Neatherrealm fighter(Injustice 2). If another Street Fighter style game is what you want, SFV is by far the best option.

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damodar: thanks for the advice ^_^ the only issue I ever have with street fighter is the controls. I don't understand how some of the inputs work (like how it'll say up, down, punch and up will be black and down will be white but it doesn't work), but other than that I like it. ^_^

yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@damodar: thanks for the advice ^_^ the only issue I ever have with street fighter is the controls. I don't understand how some of the inputs work (like how it'll say up, down, punch and up will be black and down will be white but it doesn't work), but other than that I like it. ^_^

These will probably be charge moves. So, for example, Guile's flash kick inputs are down (or down back) then up and kick, but you actually have to hold down for 2 seconds before you input the up and kick.

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OceanEve

@yates: oh okay, that makes sense ^_^ nothing in the game really explains that. Thanks!

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By damodar

@giantlennonx_x: Ah I think I can help you there. Looks like you're talking about something that's referred to as a 'charge' move. What you have to do is "charge" that first directional input by holding that direction for a while. So for example, Guile is a charge character and his Sonic Boom projectile is done by holding back for a second or two (to be technical I think it's 55 frames in USFIV, so a little bit under a second), then pressing towards and punch. His Flash Kick is done by charging downwards for a similar amount of time and then pressing up and kick. The down/up ones can prove a little trickier, because you have to press the kick button quickly enough to start the move before the up input causes your character to jump instead, so it's probably easier to get a feel for the commands by playing around with the horizontal ones first. Guile's Sonic Boom, M. Bison's Scissor Kick, Blanka's rolling attack, Chun-Li's Kikoken fireball, E. Honda's flying headbutt - These are some of the back-forward charge attacks.

Basically, the need to charge an attack gives another way of balancing the move. Guile's Sonic Boom is a REALLY good projectile, it recovers much faster than, say, Ryu doing a Hadoken, so Guile is free to move around etc sooner, meaning he can also block sooner after throwing one and it's much harder to punish him for a bad fireball than it is with Ryu. Likewise, Guile's flashkick is a good move for dealing with somebody coming at you from the air. The trade-off is that you can't just do the move whenever you feel like, you have to be prepared and already have the charge ready when the situation arises. It can also affect your mobility, as you can't really charge while walking forward etc. Overall, I think it's generally an interesting mechanic and can be really rewarding to incorporate well into your playing!

There are some other aspects to it, like if you have to charge down, any input containing down will work, ie down, down+back, or down+forward will all work. Same with back and either of its diagonal inputs. This means a character like Guile, who has both a back-forward and a down-up charge move can have a charge for both stocked at the same time. Down-back to foward will work for Sonic Boom and Down-back to up will work for Flash-kick. Infact, you can even do down-back to up-back for a down-up move and it'll come out and you'll still have maintained a back charge. There are lots of tricks like that. It's funny though, it's just a piece of knowledge that I take for granted, having played Street Fighter for so long, I've never even thought about the fact that the game probably does a terrible job of actually explaining those inputs! Also, this somehow turned into a novel and somebody has almost certainly answered your question in a much more concise manner... EDIT: YUP. :D

Oh, there are also supers and ultras that use charges, and that's just charge the first input and then do the rest of the sequence in quick succession. Also, some of those inputs are kind of a nonsense mess, like Guile's Ultra 1. Weird zig-zag thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.