1. Jesna

2. ViciousBearMauling

3. projectino

4. officer_falcon

5. Ackbarguo

5. Emperium

7. SaFt

7. StarvingGamer

Thanks everyone for showing up and participating!

With the new patch for Street Fighter V figured good as time as any to hold a Giant Bomb community tournament!

Who is this for?

I went back and forth on this but I decide that in Fighting Game Tournament tradition it's open for EVERYBODY! North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Antarctica, the Moon, PC, PS4, Bronze League, Platinum League, I don't care you're invited to participate in the first Giant Bomb Street Fighter V tournament and we'd love to have you!

When is this taking place?

The current plan is, as the title says, next Saturday April 9th starting at 10AM PDT / 1PM EDT / 6PM GMT, and go until it's done. How long it takes depends on how many people sign up, but assuming everyone is semi coordinated and on time I'd guess the entire tournament will take 2-3 hours so plan on that

I'm interested, how do I sign up?

For the tournament we're going to be holding it on Challonge, which is an easy way to set up and manage brackets. Signing up for the tournament should be fairly simple:

• Go to http://challonge.com/ and create an account if you don't already have one
  • Click this link to go to the sign up page and sign up!
    • When you sign up please sign up using your Capcom Fighter Name as your ID to make it easier for other people to find you for matches

In addition to Challonge I'd appreciate it if you left a post here with your CFN ID

Please note that Registration Ends on Thursday, April 7th at 5PM PDT or so depending on how late I get home that day.

Tournament Rules

Should go without saying and doubt it'll be an issue but ANY form of cheating or harassment will result in immediate DQ and ban from any future tournaments I help host. If you feel this has happened to you please message me immediately

• Tournament will be double elimination, meaning you need to lose 2 matches to be disqualified. For grand finals the winner will only need to win 1 set while loser will need to win 2
  • Players will contact each other and one will create a Battle Lounge and invite the other to it to play the match. Matches are to be standard rules. 99 seconds, 3 rounds, character select, best of 3/First to 2. Winners finals, loser finals, and Grand Finals are Best of 5/First to 3
  • Winner of a match must stick with the same character, loser is allowed to switch character to try to counter-pick if they wish
    • Because of this in lobbies please do notset it to FT2 since it does not go back to the character select screen in between matches
  • Because we are doing this worldwide I'm expecting there will be some laggy matches and connection issues. Since this is just for fun try to bear with it. If someone is disconnected from a match then try to connect again, if it happens a second time the player unable to connect will take a loss.
    • This means even in cases of extreme lag, play it out best you can.
    • Added 4/8/16: In cases of extreme lag a player may request swapping the host of the lobby. If you do so state it in the IRC chat and I will flip a coin in case the match goes to a game 3; heads will mean swap back to the first player as host and tails means stay in the current lobby.
  • Since there will be several matches going on simultaneously players will be expected to coordinate to join together and report results to Challonge. If players have any issues reporting or meeting up contact me and we'll sort it out.
  • Players are expected to show up ON TIME AT 10AM PDT. If a player has not shown up within 5 minutes of his match they will be given a loss
    • Since tournament is double elimination this means sent to loser's bracket, not entirely eliminated

Since organizing this across multiple continents and multiple platforms is going to be a pain I'll create a Quakenet IRC channel an hour before the tournament is scheduled to start. The channel will be SFVGBTournament, the link to access if you haven't before is https://webchat.quakenet.org/, since you enter a Nickname when you enter you don't need to sign up beforehand. JOINING THE IRC CHANNEL IS MANDATORY, if you are not in you will be treated as absent.

Please when entering the IRC chat use your CFN as your nickname to make it easier to coordinate.

Alright I've signed up and thoroughly read the rules, where do I start practicing?

First off assuming something doesn't come up I'll try to host some lobbies next week for people who want to get in and play some matches, there's nothing stopping other people either so keep an eye out for when people do. There is also a Fighter's ID thread filled with people looking to play and a thread dedicated to linking up new players to help them not suck, so set up some matches and get to it! If you're having trouble with a specific character there's a thread for that as well. And for videos be sure to check out the tutorials created by Jmcrofts designed to help new players out.

External Resources that may help:

Videos:

• First Attack Series by James 'JChensor' Chen/Ultrachentv: Series of videos aimed at helping new players learn the basics created by James Chen, who is arguably the most prolific fighting game commentator outside of Seth Killian. Chances are if you've watched a SFIV/V major tournament, he's been on the mic along with his partner David 'Ultradavid' Graham.
  • Floechartby Ari 'Floe' Weintraub: An ex professional player and co-host of Capcom Pro Talk. While not as polished as First Attack it does cover some different topics and is worth a look

Articles

Alright that's it! If you have any questions or anything is unclear feel free to leave a message here or shoot me a PM and I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can! Best of luck everyone!

GiantBomb NameCFN IDChallonge
Do_The_Manta_RayDo_The_Manta_RayDo_The_Manta_Ray
TechnicianHeadshakerHeadshaker
JesnaJessnaJesna
StarvingGamerStarvingGamerStarvingGamer
BarrabasDLHowardDLHoward
CitizenCoffeeCakeTokensCCC_Tokens
Hippie_GenocideHippie_GenocideHippie_Genocide
AckbarguoAckbarguoAckbarguo
RandomCambodianRandomCambodianRandomCambodian
ElyhaymElyhaymElyham
FLStyleFLStyleFLStyle
HassunHahsunHassun
burke163burke163burke163
ViciousBearMaulingMegaBeefBowlViciousBearMauling
SaFtsaftensaften
LiquidusLiquidRobLiquidRob
EmperiumEmperiumEmperium
MrTasteMrTasteMrtaste
projectinoProtoinoProtoino
thegoldencat7thegoldencatthegoldencat
Alkusanagialkusanagialkusanagi
officer_falconOfficerFalconOfficerFalcon
Raethengdyodergdyoder
unastrikeunastrikeunastrike
ESREVERMacechistMacechist
GERALTITUDEMAJNOUNGERALTITUDE
NixiusNixiusnixius
TaesoawfulTaesoawfulTsako_1382
AFTERLIFEJOSHMrSalazarAfterlifejosh
fujisyusuke808FujiSyusuke808FujiSyusuke808
Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
#2 Edited by Do_The_Manta_Ray (1639 posts) -

I am the first, and I will be the last standing.

My Fighter ID is, believe it or not, Do_The_Manta_Ray

Very nice write-up, by the by. Someone taught you well. That said, may I suggest you add a small section about each match-up checking the connection + buttons quick before the actual matches start?

Very Important Edit: Capitalize the "R" in Ray!

#3 Posted by Technician (781 posts) -

I signed up as Headshaker in Challonge (my CFN is Headshaker).

#4 Posted by Jesna (362 posts) -

Birdie shall carry me to victory! Or not, we'll see. CFN: Jessna.

#5 Posted by StarvingGamer (11518 posts) -

I'm StarvingGamer on all 3

#6 Posted by Barrabas (514 posts) -

I guess there's no harm in giving this a shot.

CFN: DLHoward

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
#7 Posted by citizencoffeecake (1545 posts) -

CCC_Tokens on the Challonge, my CFN is Tokens.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
#8 Posted by hippie_genocide (2443 posts) -

I signed up. CFN same as here.

#9 Posted by Technician (781 posts) -

Hey I posted about this on the PS4 community page so hopefully that draws some more people in. It might be good to post a reminder in the Steam group too, at least you can hyperlink there. 200 character limit for the message of the day for PSN communities is dumb.

Also you mentioned you were looking for typos, you misspelled community in the thread title and when you mentioned the deadline to sign up as April 7th, you misspelled registration. Sorry in advance, I'm not trying to be "that guy".

#10 Posted by Ackbarguo (41 posts) -

I'm in, CFN ID is the same as here

#11 Posted by hmoney001 (1251 posts) -

Sigh, the weekend I have to work.

Somebody gonna stream?

#12 Posted by L1GHTN1N (1996 posts) -
Avatar image for randomcambodian
#13 Posted by RandomCambodian (5 posts) -

I'm the same on all 3

#14 Posted by Elyhaym (359 posts) -

Sure, why not. I'll be scrubbing it up on my sub 1000 LP Ken.

Elyhaym is my Fight ID, on PS4 and timezone is GMT+1.

#15 Posted by FLStyle (6666 posts) -

FLStyle here there and everywhere! Let's do this!

#16 Posted by hassun (9997 posts) -

I'm going to try to make it.

#17 Posted by burke163 (13 posts) -

My CFN is burke163. Ready to get scraped!

#18 Posted by L1GHTN1N (1996 posts) -
Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
#19 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (2094 posts) -

My CFN is MegaBeefBowl but I signed up as my GB Username

#20 Posted by SaFt (643 posts) -

Sure, what the hell. I might learn something.

Fighter ID is saften

#21 Posted by hassun (9997 posts) -
#22 Posted by IVDAMKE (1824 posts) -

I'd love join in on the fun but I doubt staying up until 3am my time to play awfully laggy matches will be fun for anyone. Someone should record it though so I can watch it.

#23 Posted by Liquidus (993 posts) -

Awesome, I signed up. My CFN ID is LiquidRob same as on Challonge.

#25 Posted by Darkaileron (197 posts) -

Would love to participate but I work on weekends. But hey, if anyone needs a sparring partner my ID is Dark 9 / Dark_9.

#26 Posted by YummyTreeSap (1217 posts) -

Yeah, I'm usually working on weekends. Plus I'm just awful and wouldn't stand a chance.

#27 Posted by Emperium (25 posts) -

I'm game. my IDs in Challonge and CFN are both Emperium.

#28 Posted by mrtaste (43 posts) -
No Caption Provided

#29 Posted by projectino (77 posts) -

Sure why not. Protoino is my CFN,challonge, and psn name.

#30 Posted by L1GHTN1N (1996 posts) -
#31 Posted by dudeglove (13763 posts) -

Sigh, the weekend I have to work.

Somebody gonna stream?

I can't play but am also interested in watching.

#32 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1504 posts) -

Cant say I'm very fond of the game but I just cant resist a tournament. cfn - thegoldencat

#33 Posted by Technician (781 posts) -

@l1ghtn1n: I can confirm that mrtaste is Mrtaste on CFN (source: I played against him yesterday).

#34 Posted by L1GHTN1N (1996 posts) -

@technician: Thanks

Reminder anyone still interested has about a day and a half left to sign up!

#35 Posted by AlKusanagi (1650 posts) -

I'll give it a shot. The only problem is that I'm on call this weekend and may be unavailable at certain times without warning.

CFN and Challonge are the same as here, alkusanagi, PSN is Aurin13.

#36 Posted by officer_falcon (526 posts) -

Signed up as well. What's the worst that could happen?

CFN is OfficerFalcon.

#37 Posted by Raethen (187 posts) -

I'll join in as well. Challonge and CFN is gdyoder.

#38 Edited by L1GHTN1N (1996 posts) -

@thegoldencat7: Just looked at the Challonge bracket and not seeing your name, did you sign up on there as well?

#39 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1504 posts) -
#40 Edited by unastrike (1814 posts) -

Room for one more? I'll give it a shot - not sure how I'll fare.

It's probably the worst time for me as I've always got baby duty (sometimes doody) at that time on Sat. If he's chill, then great. If not, I'll abide by that 5 min rule and take my loss like a responsible father. Hell. Who knows, I might have to duck mid-match. If so, he's grounded.

All the IDs: unastrike

Also, thanks for organizing, @l1ghtn1n!

Staff
#41 Posted by L1GHTN1N (1996 posts) -

About 10 hours or so until brackets close if there's anyone else on the fence!

#42 Edited by ESREVER (2923 posts) -

I signed up. Its been awhile since I've partaked in a GB FG tourny (RIP RageQuit Weekly)

Coming from arcsys fighters, SF is still pretty foreign to me, but I do enjoy SFV.

I signed up as Macechist on the challonge, matching my CFN id.

If no one has stepped up to stream matches, I can do it if people want.

#43 Posted by GERALTITUDE (5990 posts) -

Sorry I'm so late to sign up, hope it's not an annoyance in any way!

On CFN I go by MAJNOUN

Really nervous to play y'all but this will be fun no doubt.

#44 Posted by Nixius (2 posts) -

Will give it my best shot to be there, Daughter goes to bed around that time so will partly depend on how giving my partner feels XD

Nixius is my name for all the things =)

#45 Posted by FLStyle (6666 posts) -
@nixius said:

Will give it my best shot to be there, Daughter goes to bed around that time so will partly depend on how giving my partner feels XD

I thought you already had an account here, oh well, welcome!

#46 Posted by Nixius (2 posts) -
@flstyle said:
@nixius said:

I thought you already had an account here, oh well, welcome!

I'm a dirty, dirty lurker =)

#47 Posted by Taesoawful (85 posts) -

ID: Taesoawful

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
#48 Edited by Do_The_Manta_Ray (1639 posts) -

@unastrike: As cool as it is to have someone from the staff participating, I wish you could have convinced Dan to join as well. Imagine a scenario where he, for the better part of a Saturday, did nothing but get his ass handed to him. It's an image I believe we all can appreciate.

#49 Posted by AFTERLIFEJOSH (39 posts) -

My CFN ID is MrSalazar. My challonge name is Afterlifejosh.

#50 Posted by L1GHTN1N (1996 posts) -

Sign ups are officially closed, though if you send me a PM tonight I'll probably be willing to open it back up so you can sign up but no promises. Brackets are pretty much set, I clicked the Randomize Seeds button about 30 times so hopefully it's shuffled up enough (though since it's just people signing up probably didn't need to do that).

I'll likely send out a PM tomorrow to all the participants, mostly it'll just say "Hey read the rules if you haven't, remember you also need to join the IRC chat, and if you have time try to add your first opponent ahead of time to CFN since there's occasionally minor issues".

Best of luck to everyone on Saturday!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.