Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter X Tekken

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

The two leaders in the fighting game genre collide in this ultimate tag-team mash-up. Will you cross the line?

Anyone else think Street Fighter x Tekken sucks?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BoomMemedYa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BoomMemedYa

I started playing Street Fighter x Tekken thinking the gameplay was going to really fast paced and fun kind of like MVC3 but I really feel like the system is shallow and it kinda feels very unfinished. I was wondering if anyone else agrees with me?

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Quantris

Mainly what sucks is that this game went on life support immediately after release. Tekken x Street Fighter would have been interesting to see (though probably more flawed than SF x T).

As far as the gameplay, I actually like it better than SFIV (for reference, I'm not a fighting game fanatic, just an amateur). It was neat how they made the Tekken characters feel (a little) different. Calling it "shallow" is probably accurate though...I don't get super-deep into systems in these games (again for reference, in SFIV I haven't really dove into FADC and what that opens up) and so this didn't bother me...having the easy-to-grasp flexibility (e.g. auto-chain combo, lots of juggles) was pretty fun IMO. So basically this game skews more towards accessibility which suited me fine.

However, the gem system is stupid and I'd rather it was gone (or at least replaced with something a little more standardized and with no "pay to win" aspects). "Pandora" isn't something I typically use but as a desperation system it didn't seem bad.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of the fighting game community agrees with you. They dropped the game like a hot potato after the Capcom prize money dried up.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I don't think that is a particularly controversial sentiment. It lasted what, 2 years at EVO? Was it even at EVO last year? I get the impression that game was dead on arrival with the pro community and as an amateur I wasn't a big fan of some of the weird systems either. I did like how the Tekken characters "played" like they did in Tekken but on a 2D plane.

BoomMemedYa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly think I'm just gunna return it back to gamestop, any fighting game recommendations under 17 bucks?

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By GaspoweR

Tekken...

would have been my recommendation but I'll give you a different one. This game is probably around $20 but if you're looking for something that is similar to Marvel (specifically Marvel 2) then Skullgirls is your best bet. It doesn't have as big a community as other FGs but I think you'll enjoy it.

BoomMemedYa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I eventually will get Skullgirls I remember playing it one weekend it was free on steam and I really enjoyed it but Im probably going to buy Tekken 6 or King of Fighters with my money

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Shallow is a good word for it. Every Character's Normals do 30, 60, and 90 damage respectively for Light, Medium, and Heavy Attacks. (+10 for Zangief Marduck and Hugo). That's a good way to tell it was rushed!

KoF is great. Don't get Tekken 6. TTT2 is where it's at for Tekken right now. Or wait for Tekken 7

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I eventually will get Skullgirls I remember playing it one weekend it was free on steam and I really enjoyed it but Im probably going to buy Tekken 6 or King of Fighters with my money

Get Tag 2 if you're going to get a Tekken game, or wait for 7.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, I didn't really like it at all for the most part, and the way they handled paid DLC that affected gameplay turned me off from it even more.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I actually think the current version of SFxT has one of the best fighting systems in the genre. It supports a meaningful neutral game but also has a free form combo system that rewards/demands split second decision making, risk/reward consideration, and spontaneous creativity. Unfortunately, it was saddled with gross imbalance and core mechanical issues at launch so everyone had moved on before they released the patch that fixed most of that stuff. The internet's naive entitlement over on-disc DLC and the genuinely shitty way Capcom handled gems didn't help matters.

I play pretty much every fighting game that comes out, mostly as a lab monster, but if I were involved in the competitive scene, I think SFxT would be my favorite fighting game.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@crysack said:

@boommemedya said:

Get Tag 2 if you're going to get a Tekken game, or wait for 7.

Yeah, just get Tag 2 if possible.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it's a terrible game but I sure as hell don't like it

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I enjoyed watching SFxT ver. 2013 towards the end of its tournament life, was a waste of resources making it playable/watchable by then though.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Why would it be anything like MVC3? Sounds like you should have researched more! :D

BoomMemedYa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BoomMemedYa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BoomMemedYa

@bradbrains: and that's pretty much how I feel too like it's not awful but it just doesn't have a lot of substance

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

BoomMemedYa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha everyone really keeps recommending Tekken Tag 2 I think I'll have to go with that

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I like SFxT, but it's not a hugely popular game. I also think it would have been better without all the gems business. I'm intrigued as to what made you anticipate it playing like MvC, because aside from the 'vs' in the title it comes across visually much closer to a main-series Street Fighter (IV specifically), which is closest to how it actually plays. I really liked the way they incorporated Tekken mechanics such as combo strings and juggling into a Street Fighter system. Ultimately though I'd rather play standard-ass Street Fighter (and standard Tekken), which is why I was glad they brought the SFxT characters into USFIV. I would still love to see how TxSF would handle that, because I think going in the other direction and incorporating Street Fighter stuff into a base Tekken game is tougher to conceptualise.

As for what I'd recommend, TTT2 is definitely a solid pick. If you do want something closer to MvC then Skullgirls or maybe BlazBlue are solid shouts. I'd recommend Ultra SFIV too if you haven't played that but your initial post made it sound like you were looking for something with a deeper moveset and more options, whereas SF is based on small movesets but a lot of versatility in how you use them together.

BoomMemedYa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BoomMemedYa

@y2ken: I said it looked fast paced like MvC and I played online a bit with more skilled players and I'm coming around to the game a bit more although it does feel a bit like a half assed game. Also I picked up BlazBlue Calamity Trigger when I got SFxT and I'm absolutely loving it I'm definitely going to be getting into the series

spud693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked it, more than SF4, oddly enough - but as someone who only occasionally dips a toe into the FGC waters, it appears the majority don't share my opinion, and perhaps if I had a better understanding of the in depth mechanics at play, I might agree.

As a game to learn quickly though, I found it pretty great.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Tekken Tag 2 is good, Guilty Gear Xrd is great, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is good, Skullgirls is good on PC, and yeah those are the only good new fighting games I've played. Of course KOF13 is great on Steam. I have heard good things about UNIEL but havent touched it yet. BlazBlue is a decent series, but you should wait for BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend this spring/summer to pick up another game.

Yeah somethings, like how the Tekken characters are handled in SFxTK was cool, but overall that game had a lot of rough problems with its systems, gameplay pacing, the way it looked, and its release.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SFxT has quite a lot of depth, you just have to know a fair bit about how fighting games work in order to find it.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Its a cross over game, they all suck.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it sucks as a competitive game but I find it kind of fun to mess around in. It is so easy to jump and in do sizeable combos and feel like you are actually decent at the game. I think it is the kind of game that if it was given the same level of care that a new numbered fighting game (SFIV, Tekken 7, GG Xrd, etc.) then it could have been a lot better. I think it could have been Capcom's answer for a game that is between the insanity of Marvel and the chess match of SF.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@john1912 said:

Its a cross over game, they all suck.

Uhhhhh, all of them??

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousbearmauling: He obviously means all of them except for Mortal Kombat Vs DC Universe, because that goes without saying.

Man... Mortal Kombat Vs DC Universe.... *shudder*

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Nope. I don't think it ever really sucked to be honest. Sure, competitively, it left a lot to be desired for a while, but it was never some world-shattering atrocity like people made it out to be.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I had fun with SFxT when it came out. I mind playing it from time to time on PC, but the PC online community is dead.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.