Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter X Tekken

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

The two leaders in the fighting game genre collide in this ultimate tag-team mash-up. Will you cross the line?

Ono says: "All updates are going to be DLC, no Super versions."

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MikeGosot
    Source

I've seen a lot of "I'll wait for the Super version" comments, so i think this particular answer from Ono is thread-worthy. So, what's your opinion about this? Capcom bullshit or not?
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By FLStyle

@MikeGosot: Ono said as much to the Giant Bomb guys last week, I'll take his word for now as he stuck to his word for Arcade Edition and UMvC3 has little to do with him.

The_LMFAO_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_LMFAO_Guy

I believe he also said that SFIV isn't going to get a title update and that ended up happening. If character DLC happens, (which I don't want it to happen) it will probably be locked on the disc. Capcom and other fighting game companies still care about their tournament communities. 

People shouldn't underestimate tournaments communities, they're the reason why most character DLC is locked on the disc. The only actual DLC characters that has happen is SSFIV AE, that's mainly due to the fact that it's not that big of an update, and there's also the arcade version.   

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

So if SUPER does come out )  Or what ever other name they give it) What happens to his rep? 

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By BoG

I don't think you can take Capcom at their word. Remember how Shinji Mikami promised that he would disembowel himself if RE4 came out on another console?

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By SlightConfuse

i feel like this game in particlur wont have a super version. the rosters seem complete plus they need to give room to Tekken X Street fighter. But hey its capcom so anything is possible

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By DarthOrange

@BoG said:

I don't think you can take Capcom at their word. Remember how Shinji Mikami promised that he would disembowel himself if RE4 came out on another console?

Did he really? Please tell me you have a link!?!?!

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By clstirens

@BoG: remember how they said the same thing about MvC3? Yeah...

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @BoG said:

Wanna split the fed ex charge? Ill ship em a knife. 
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Dany

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By yetiantics

Bullshit.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Dany said:

PRECISELY. This is exactly what I was going to post.
    FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FateOfNever

I find it funny that he says "if we do come out with a new version of the game we'll go the Street Fighter 4 route." Which.. the Street Fighter 4 route was to screw the fans over with a completely separate version of the game and then they decided to not press their luck with Arcade Edition.

There's also absolutely no reason for him not to say that. If he said otherwise he would hurt sales, even if it would otherwise be true. So I really don't see a reason to believe him. He could be telling the truth, sure, but Capcom's burned the fans with that too many times already for me to tell anyone in good faith that they should believe that there is no chance of Capcom doing the same shit yet again.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Sooty

If I recall correctly they only have the license to create one game with the Tekken characters.

This makes sense to me.

@FateOfNever said:

I find it funny that he says "if we do come out with a new version of the game we'll go the Street Fighter 4 route." Which.. the Street Fighter 4 route was to screw the fans over with a completely separate version of the game and then they decided to not press their luck with Arcade Edition.

Oh yeah, that $40 priced Super Street Fighter IV really fucked people over, I mean it's not like you got an entire re-balance of the game, 10 new characters, new stages, new music, new modes and improved online features or anything right? They were really out to fuck all their customers! The only people that seem to whine and bitch about Capcom releasing multiple versions of games are people who were never going to play it once a few weeks had passed anyway. Boo hoo. Let's face facts, all versions of Street Fighter IV and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 have added enough to justify their price tags, sure you can debate whether AE was worth it or not but I think 4 new characters and the re-balance were worth my 1200MSP.

Do I think releasing disc based updates with no option for DLC versions was smart? Not really, but I don't think it's a rip-off either, and disc versions are very handy for people running tournaments.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By InternetDotCom

Well yeah it will be the Ultra version

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Zleunamme

Ha ha, that is so cute. There are easier solutions to this problem. Do not buy the game. Don't buy palette swap costume packs. Wait a year until the price has been marked down. It is understandable that Capcom has to turn a profit to stay in business. They way they sell content to consumers is disingenuous.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@BoG said:

Oh...oh man...you didn't hear? Shit. I gotta tell you something...

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ThunderSlash

He said that he was going to decapitate himself, and technically he's done it already, twice!

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By ventilaator

People are already waiting for the Super version, him saying "Yeah an updated Super version will follow shortly" wouldn't be the smartest thing to do if you want people to buy the first game.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikeGosot

Wow, i just noticed i didn't post my own opinion. I believe he's telling the truth, because i think they can only make one game with the Tekken name. Namco wouldn't be wise if they let Capcom milk the Tekken franchise. But i'm also a sucker for Capcom, so there you go.

Raye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Raye

Nice try, Ono. I'm not falling for this one.

If he turns out to be telling the truth? Great. +1 point for him in my book. If not? Color me not-surprised. :|

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By butano

@MikeGosot said:

Wow, i just noticed i didn't post my own opinion. I believe he's telling the truth, because i think they can only make one game with the Tekken name. Namco wouldn't be wise if they let Capcom milk the Tekken franchise. But i'm also a sucker for Capcom, so there you go.

Possible. But, they're already milking both out with Capcom's SF x Tekken and Namco's Tekken x SF.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Butano said:

@MikeGosot said:

Possible. But, they're already milking both out with Capcom's SF x Tekken and Namco's Tekken x SF.

It doesn't rule out the possibility that Namco prevented Capcom to milk the Tekken name even more. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#24  Edited By Hailinel

@Butano said:

@MikeGosot said:

It's not "milking" for both companies to make a single crossover game in their respective styles.

Seriously, people need to find new descriptors.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Hailinel said:

@Butano said:

@MikeGosot said:

It's not "milking" for both companies to make a single crossover game in their respective styles.

I was saying it would be milking if Capcom started to make: Super SF x T. Super SF x T Arcade Edition. Super SF X T Arcade Edition Hyper Ultra. Basically, milking would be making more and more games with the Tekken, was what i was trying to say.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hailinel

@MikeGosot said:

@Hailinel said:

@Butano said:

@MikeGosot said:

I was saying it would be milking if Capcom started to make: Super SF x T. Super SF x T Arcade Edition. Super SF X T Arcade Edition Hyper Ultra. Basically, milking would be making more and more games with the Tekken, was what i was trying to say.

No, you specifically referred to them "already milking" with just the production of SFxT and TxSF. That's two games, one by each developer. That is not the same as making multiple retail releases of the what is ostensibly the same game with version updates (i.e. SFIV, SSFIV, SSFIVAE). To call what they are currently doing with the SF/Tekken crossover projects "milking" is being short-sighted and foolish.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By TechHits

@MikeGosot said:

Source. I've seen a lot of "I'll wait for the Super version" comments, so i think this particular answer from Ono is thread-worthy. So, what's your opinion about this? Capcom bullshit or not?

Ono said that some time ago, umvc sale most likely had something to do with it.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Hailinel said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Hailinel said:

@Butano said:

@MikeGosot said:

No, you specifically referred to them "already milking" with just the production of SFxT and TxSF. That's two games, one by each developer. That is not the same as making multiple retail releases of the what is ostensibly the same game with version updates (i.e. SFIV, SSFIV, SSFIVAE). To call what they are currently doing with the SF/Tekken crossover projects "milking" is being short-sighted and foolish.

Butano said they were already milking. I said it would be milking if Capcom made more than one game. At least that's what i meant.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hailinel

@MikeGosot said:

@Hailinel said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Hailinel said:

@Butano said:

@MikeGosot said:

Butano said they were already milking. I said it would be milking if Capcom made more than one game. At least that's what i meant.

Oh, I see. Sorry about that. I got confused on who you were responding to.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Hailinel: Nah, that's okay. And to justify my reply, i will make a dumb question: What's going to be you team in SF x T?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hailinel

@MikeGosot said:

@Hailinel: Nah, that's okay. And to justify my reply, i will make a dumb question: What's going to be you team in SF x T?

I haven't decided yet. Whatever my team is, Poison will be a part of it, but I'd like to see how the various Tekken characters all pan out before I select a second to main. How about you?

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Hailinel said:

@MikeGosot said:

I haven't decided yet. Whatever my team is, Poison will be a part of it, but I'd like to see how the various Tekken characters all pan out before I select a second to main. How about you?

Juri and someone. It would be Mokujin, but they haven't confirmed him. I want to try out Poison and Hugo, but i also want to try a few Tekken characters.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Sooty said:

If I recall correctly they only have the license to create one game with the Tekken characters.

This makes sense to me.

That was also the case when they had announced MvC3 and look what happened there.

CounterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CounterShock

Excellent

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hailinel

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Sooty said:

This makes sense to me.

That was also the case when they had announced MvC3 and look what happened there.

MvC3 was kind of an odd case. Their official line on that matter was that they had planned more DLC for the game, but the tsunami/earthquake got in the way of their plans and things apparently had to get shifted around. This apparently led to he decision to abandon most of the planned DLC in favor of just putting together an enhanced version of the game.

I'm not defending the decision; it's absurd that two versions of the game were released in the same calendar year no matter the reason. But if this really was the case, I'd like to at least cut them some slack. Also, MvC3 was not developed by Ono's team.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By landon

@Sooty said:

This makes sense to me.

@FateOfNever said:

Oh yeah, that $40 priced Super Street Fighter IV really fucked people over, I mean it's not like you got an entire re-balance of the game, 10 new characters, new stages, new music, new modes and improved online features or anything right? They were really out to fuck all their customers! The only people that seem to whine and bitch about Capcom releasing multiple versions of games are people who were never going to play it once a few weeks had passed anyway. Boo hoo. Let's face facts, all versions of Street Fighter IV and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 have added enough to justify their price tags, sure you can debate whether AE was worth it or not but I think 4 new characters and the re-balance were worth my 1200MSP.

Do I think releasing disc based updates with no option for DLC versions was smart? Not really, but I don't think it's a rip-off either, and disc versions are very handy for people running tournaments.

You are totally right. At $40, Super Street Fighter 4 had enough content to justify a purchase... had that been the only version to come out. Do you not think there is something wrong with charging $60 for a game that will be obsolete in a year? It's thievery. I can't train at Street Fighter 4 and expect to compete at a tournament with people who have been playing Super Street fighter 4.

Everything you listed could have been a DLC pack, but instead, if I want to play at the same level as others, I will have to pay $100 for the true version of a game ($60 for a lie, then another $40 for the real thing). That's why people are upset. It's not that SSF4 or UMvC wasn't worth the price, they totally were, it's taking into account that I paid more for a version that will see no improvements, no DLC, no support of any kind.

That's why I will buy UMvC used, and why I wont purchase Street Fighter x Tekken for the first year it's out. If they refuse to support me, the person giving them money, then I refuse to support them.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#37  Edited By Commisar123

I'll believe it when I see it.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I don't give a fuck. Mothefuckin' Elena is still nowhere to be seen even though rumors say she's incoming. Until I see actual proof, nothing matters. Not Ono's words, not this game, NOT LIFE.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MikeGosot
    @BabyChooChoo said:

I don't give a fuck. Mothefuckin' Elena is still nowhere to be seen even though rumors say she's incoming. Until I see actual proof, nothing matters. Not Ono's words, not this game, NOT LIFE.

Oh man, Elena VS Eddie would be amazing. Ganryu VS E. Honda would too, but they're nowhere to be seen.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hailinel

@MikeGosot said:

@BabyChooChoosaid:

Oh man, Elena VS Eddie would be amazing. Ganryu VS E. Honda would too, but they're nowhere to be seen.

I hate Eddie and Christie so much. This game would be a million times better than it already is if it's confirmed neither of them are playable.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By shaunk

@Sooty said:

This makes sense to me.

@FateOfNever said:

Overgeneralizations from Sooty in a topic? What a surprise...

I played SF4 very seriously for a long time. And I was unable to get super. Some people cannot afford to spend money on a reshell of a game. Defending it as fixing balances and new characters is just ridiculous. And creating your own world where the only people upset about the new releases are people that wouldn't play the original game more than a few weeks past launch anyway is also insane.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Hailinel said:

@MikeGosot said:

@BabyChooChoosaid:

I hate Eddie and Christie so much. This game would be a million times better than it already is if it's confirmed neither of them are playable.

Eddie/Christie are very button-mashy and annoying in VS, but i would like to see two fighter from different franchises, using the same style, battling each other.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hailinel

@MasturbatingestBear said:

@Sooty said:

This makes sense to me.

@FateOfNever said:

Overgeneralizations from Sooty in a topic? What a surprise...

I played SF4 very seriously for a long time. And I was unable to get super. Some people cannot afford to spend money on a reshell of a game. Defending it as fixing balances and new characters is just ridiculous. And creating your own world where the only people upset about the new releases are people that wouldn't play the original game more than a few weeks past launch anyway is also insane.

It's not a defense, it's the truth. Super Street Fighter IV has more new content over its predecessor than I would expect any single fighting game to add via DLC. The online component was also reworked, which is not an adjustment that can be easily made as a patch. For fighting games that do offer DLC fighters, the most I've ever seen is four total in both BlazBlue:CS and Mortal Kombat. And in Mortal Kombat's case, the way that the DLC management was handled just ended up causing problems with online play. The additions made to Super Street Fighter IV were large enough to legitimately release as a separate product. As for Arcade Edition, it's available as a download to anyone that has Super; there's no need to buy a third disc if you wish to remain up-to-date on the latest version of SFIV.

serverfull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By serverfull

There was two boxed MVC3's in less then 10 months, There was 3 Street Fighter 4's in less then 2 years. If anything I take this to mean: "There will be a other version but like Super Street Fighter IV you can buy the next version via DLC." There is still a boxed SSFIV AE but you can just pay 20 to upgrade your SSFIV copy...that is what I did...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.