Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By Jeff  Staff

No Caption Provided
Cramming Tekken fighters into a Capcom-made Street Fighter game sounds like a tall order, but the developer seems to be doing really well so far with Street Fighter X Tekken. I was able to spend a chunk of time last week messing around with the game's first ten characters, and it feels like it'll be a really interesting addition to Capcom's fighting roster when it's released next year.

The game starts with Street Fighter IV as a core. It's the same engine and, visually, the game definitely looks similar. And the Street Fighter characters don't initially seem that different than their Street Fighter IV incarnations until you leave the ground. The jumping feels different. It's perhaps a bit more floaty, which makes sense considering how juggle-focused the game is. While the juggling doesn't make the game feel identical to Namco's Tekken games, it opens up a lot of wild combo potential that doesn't make its way into more-traditional Capcom fighters.

The systems in the game feel partially built around combo potential. SFXT is a tag game, so you'll pick two characters before each fight and you can tag between them by hitting both medium attacks at the same time. Though this is a free action, if you press the tag buttons mid-combo or when you're on the ground, you can cancel into a tag at the expense of some meter. There is also a launcher, which all characters can perform by hitting both heavy attacks at the same time. This isn't a Marvel vs. Capcom launcher that you can chase up into the sky for air combos (or, at least, I wasn't able to reliably do that). It's more for setting up additional juggles via standing punches, additional specials, or even your super. Supers require two of your meter's three bars to perform, allowing you to tag cancel into your partner's super, if you so desire. The whole system feels a little freeform, like it would allow players to get more creative with their combos.

The game also gives each character a move than can be held and charged. Take Guile's sonic boom, for example. He'll start the animation and then hold, finishing the move when you release the punch button. If you hold it long enough, the move will charge up into an EX sonic boom, and if you keep holding, he'll eventually bust out his super art, sonic hurricane. Still, it's hard to say for sure how the fighting system will pan out, as it's apparently still early. Some of the characters in the version being shown felt more complete than others.

The Tekken side doesn't seem to be getting the short end of the stick, though I had trouble getting past projectiles with some of them. While the Tekken fighters have been updated to use six buttons instead of four, and their jumps aren't crazy slow as they are in the Tekken series, they still feel enough like their former selves to do some sort of justice to the Tekken lineage. Part of this is accomplished by having the light and medium attacks sort of map to the four buttons in the Tekken fighting system. This means that some of the basic combos--like Kazuya's 1, 1, 2--are still possible. He also has his rising uppercut, and the way you do the move still requires you to bring the stick back to a neutral position. It doesn't just come out the same way Ryu's shoryuken does. I thought that was a nice touch.

The videos give a better look at the sort of combo-oriented chicanery you'll be able to get up to when the game is released in 2012. Here's a look at what the Tekken guys are capable of.

Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Jeff  Staff

No Caption Provided
Cramming Tekken fighters into a Capcom-made Street Fighter game sounds like a tall order, but the developer seems to be doing really well so far with Street Fighter X Tekken. I was able to spend a chunk of time last week messing around with the game's first ten characters, and it feels like it'll be a really interesting addition to Capcom's fighting roster when it's released next year.

The game starts with Street Fighter IV as a core. It's the same engine and, visually, the game definitely looks similar. And the Street Fighter characters don't initially seem that different than their Street Fighter IV incarnations until you leave the ground. The jumping feels different. It's perhaps a bit more floaty, which makes sense considering how juggle-focused the game is. While the juggling doesn't make the game feel identical to Namco's Tekken games, it opens up a lot of wild combo potential that doesn't make its way into more-traditional Capcom fighters.

The systems in the game feel partially built around combo potential. SFXT is a tag game, so you'll pick two characters before each fight and you can tag between them by hitting both medium attacks at the same time. Though this is a free action, if you press the tag buttons mid-combo or when you're on the ground, you can cancel into a tag at the expense of some meter. There is also a launcher, which all characters can perform by hitting both heavy attacks at the same time. This isn't a Marvel vs. Capcom launcher that you can chase up into the sky for air combos (or, at least, I wasn't able to reliably do that). It's more for setting up additional juggles via standing punches, additional specials, or even your super. Supers require two of your meter's three bars to perform, allowing you to tag cancel into your partner's super, if you so desire. The whole system feels a little freeform, like it would allow players to get more creative with their combos.

The game also gives each character a move than can be held and charged. Take Guile's sonic boom, for example. He'll start the animation and then hold, finishing the move when you release the punch button. If you hold it long enough, the move will charge up into an EX sonic boom, and if you keep holding, he'll eventually bust out his super art, sonic hurricane. Still, it's hard to say for sure how the fighting system will pan out, as it's apparently still early. Some of the characters in the version being shown felt more complete than others.

The Tekken side doesn't seem to be getting the short end of the stick, though I had trouble getting past projectiles with some of them. While the Tekken fighters have been updated to use six buttons instead of four, and their jumps aren't crazy slow as they are in the Tekken series, they still feel enough like their former selves to do some sort of justice to the Tekken lineage. Part of this is accomplished by having the light and medium attacks sort of map to the four buttons in the Tekken fighting system. This means that some of the basic combos--like Kazuya's 1, 1, 2--are still possible. He also has his rising uppercut, and the way you do the move still requires you to bring the stick back to a neutral position. It doesn't just come out the same way Ryu's shoryuken does. I thought that was a nice touch.

The videos give a better look at the sort of combo-oriented chicanery you'll be able to get up to when the game is released in 2012. Here's a look at what the Tekken guys are capable of.

Loading Video...
tracerace11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By tracerace11

first?

YEA!!!

Edit: Ok, didn't get the quest, and I read why.  This sucks.  I wanna crawl into a hole now.... *Throws blanket over head*
Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Grissefar

second?

YEA!!!

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By FunExplosions

Fuck yeah, dancing t-rexes!

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Agent47
@tracerace11: Nooo....?
bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By bretthancock

Very excited for this game.  What's the deal with Tekken X Street Fighter, does that come out at the same time?

tracerace11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tracerace11
@Agent47 said:

" @tracerace11: Nooo....? "

Noo??? NNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

OK, for realsies, I usually do not buy fighting games, but this is totally appealing.  Definitely the two fighting games I grew up playing, when I did play fighting games.  So I may take a bite at this.
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By kingzetta

So did they give the Tekken guys fireballs or what?

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Grissefar

Good showing from Capcop and the future looks bright for japanese games with Dragon Dogma, Asura's Wrath, Ninja Gaiden, Dark Souls and The Last Guardian.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Skald

I'm definitely not getting anymore fighting games for the time being.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel

If it's on the SFIV engine, I wonder if Capcom will actually include any characters not in SSFIV or just stick with characters they already have models for.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Commisar123

I just don't care about Tekken so I see no reason to get this game being done with SFIV and still playing MVC3

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I loved the Tkken series but after the last few games I have no desire to play anymore games that have anything to do with Tekken.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By JJOR64

The trailer makes the game look great.  I'm looking forward to it.

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Klaimore
@bretthancock: Well when this game was first announced the Tekken guys didn't even have a demo the just showed a model of Ryu. My impression and I know its harsh its that Tekken X Street Fighter will never come out... 
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel
@Klaimore said:
" @bretthancock: Well when this game was first announced the Tekken guys didn't even have a demo the just showed a model of Ryu. My impression and I know its harsh its that Tekken X Street Fighter will never come out...  "
This isn't a race.  Both games feature completely different development teams, fighting systems and architecture.  They also speculated when these games were announced that SFXT would be the first one finished, and it's not due for release until next year.  Further, given that the show that these trailers and the demo premiered at was a Capcom-specific event, Namco had no obligation to show TXSF there.
SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By SlightConfuse

looks intresting, though there are a lot of fighting games to choose from now.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By PixelPrinny

Ahh, nice to hear it controls more like SFIV than MvC. Though with the tag ability accessed by pressing both medium attacks, is it safe to assume there's no focus attacks? 

Also, it was mentioned Guile's Sonic Hurricane is done by charging a Sonic Boom. Is charging a move the only way to do the super arts? I seem to recall the first teaser for the game showing Ryu doing his Metsu Hadoken, so would that be done by charging a fireball to level 3 or would he still do the ol' double hadoken + all three punches motion?
Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Rayeth

Looks really interesting.   Not really sure how they will balance the Tekken characters not having projectiles.  It will be interesting.

comradecrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By comradecrash

Eh I'm not interested in another fighting game. But the cross over is cool!

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bretthancock
@Hailinel:  Right, I was just curious.  I think it's an awesome idea, just didn't remember if there was any plans from either side about release for these two. 
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hot_Karl

I'm still not really feeling it, but then again, I'm the guy who doesn't like Marvel vs Capcom 3. Interesting, surely. I'll have about a year to decide whether it's worth the money or not.

Tekken X Street Fighter though, that's what I'm looking forward to, because it could either be awesome or horrible. Batshit insane, at least.
Avatar image for lemmycaution217
Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lemmycaution217

Damnnnn, this looks awesome.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

NO? YES!

Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Norusdog

another damn tag game? give us 1v1 damnit

Doomshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Doomshine
@Klaimore said:
" @bretthancock: Well when this game was first announced the Tekken guys didn't even have a demo the just showed a model of Ryu. My impression and I know its harsh its that Tekken X Street Fighter will never come out...  "
They have said multiple times that TxSF is coming out after TTT2. In other words, it's years away.

...and due to recent events, TTT2 is being delayed as well.
Brad_360i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Brad_360i

I'm a bit of self confessed a fan of Street Fighter who knows nothing of the games story and is possibly the worst player of it in the world, but I just cannot see these two games fitting together well and I should hope they will bring out a demo so that we can try it out for ourselves because I am just so undecided!

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bretthancock
@Doomshine:  That makes a lot more sense, would be weird to have both out at the same time.  Thanks for the response.
jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By jacksukeru

I do still kinda like Tekken, and I sorta like Street Fighter too. Maybe.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By Undeadpool

Projectiles have never really worked in 3D fighters (King of Fighters, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, none of these really had good solutions), so I'm wondering how the opposite will work. Street Fighter already has characters with no projectiles, but they're balanced to compensate for that. An entire stable of characters without them? That's a pretty tall order. Still, if there's one thing Capcom knows, it's fighting games, I'm willing to give this game its day in court when it comes out.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MrKlorox

As much as I love having real articles on GB for a change, this is way too damn much Capcom. Lay off the meth.

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fishinwithguns

This concept is just interesting as hell to me.  I actually loved Tekken 6...this looks like it could actually be a sequel.  If it's too similar to SFIV, I have no problem with that.  But it looks strikingly different to me somehow, and I'm surprised how well the Namco characters seem to fit.  I love crossovers, and also...I'm convinced that by now Capcom can do no wrong.

CAPCOM FOREVER!!
except Viewtiful Joe

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Xeiphyer
@MrKlorox said:
" As much as I love having real articles on GB for a change, this is way too damn much Capcom. Lay off the meth. "
Capcom's Captivate embargo lifted this morning. Its not just for fun or something.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I dunno Jeff, I see no Tekken mechanics in there at all.  This is Tekken purely in terms of roster.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By yoshimitz707
@SeriouslyNow said:
" I dunno Jeff, I see no Tekken mechanics in there at all.  This is Tekken purely in terms of roster. "
Right, and that's why TekkenxStreetFighter is being made buy Namco and will feel more like Tekken. There's a reason they're making 2 games.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@yoshimitz707 said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" I dunno Jeff, I see no Tekken mechanics in there at all.  This is Tekken purely in terms of roster. "
Right, and that's why TekkenxStreetFighter is being made buy Namco and will feel more like Tekken. There's a reason they're making 2 games. "
Oh shit, yeah - I forgot about the other game.  Silly me.  Thanks for the reminder.
megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#37  Edited By megalowho

This would be cool if I gave a shit about Tekken

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I wish I cared. 

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Seems kinda neat, but I'd rather Capcom vs. Namco and/or Namco vs. Capcom. Gotta get PacMan in there! 

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AURON570
Some interesting design choice by making it charge it up for sonic boom/ex/super. I really wonder how this is all going to turn out.

In any case, if I end up getting this game... Rufus 2.0 here I come!
themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By themangalist
@Hailinel said:
" @Klaimore said:
This isn't a race.  Both games feature completely different development teams, fighting systems and architecture.  They also speculated when these games were announced that SFXT would be the first one finished, and it's not due for release until next year.  Further, given that the show that these trailers and the demo premiered at was a Capcom-specific event, Namco had no obligation to show TXSF there. "
plus, if they are released at the same timeframe, guess which game everyone's gonna buy?
JohnPaulVann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JohnPaulVann

dude, what the fuck. This looks and sounds like something on the Game Gear. And I mean that in a good way. 

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By nick_verissimo

I'm actually pretty interested in checking this out now. 

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By GunnBjorn

And after this, Yoshinori Ono should make the next Darkstalkers. Make it so!
freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By freakin9

Not digging the look of the game, at all.  I know kids play games, but damned if I can't stand overly cartoony art styles anymore.  The vs. Series needs a every fighting game against each other game, these Capcom vs. Whoever they feel deserve their attention games are getting old.  Just put everyone together already.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By craigbo180
@MrKlorox said:
" As much as I love having real articles on GB for a change, this is way too damn much Capcom. Lay off the meth. "
You can never have to much Capcom! Unless they announce dark void 2....

Also totally going to get this game and Tekken X Street Fighter
Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Agent47
@freakin9: Well if you don't like the SFIV art style there is always Tekken X Street Fighter.Where SF is in Tekken's universe.It has Tekken's realisticly detailed graphics.
No Caption Provided
vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By vinsanityv22

" The whole system feels a little freeform, like it would allow players to get more creative with their combos. " -- that's the antithesis of most Tekken games. Heck, until 5/Dark Resurrection, they've been relying on preset, locked-in animations and their patented "Dial-a-combos" 100%. I largely hated Tekken until 5, so I'm happy to hear that this will continue down the path of adding more free-form to a fighting game with Tekken characters in it. This is Capcom after all - none of their fighters have ever had sh**ty, locked-down dial-a-combos like in the 3D Mortal Kombats or Tekkens. Btw, how weird is it that Soul Calibur never suffered from this, and it's also made by Namco?

Creme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Creme

Man, the Tekken art looks so much better, and I hate Tekken.

Certain SF4 characters have gorilla faces and large hands.
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By csl316

The more Tekken the better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.