Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter

Franchise »

Capcom's Street Fighter franchise became popular with the release of Street Fighter II, and has gone on to become one of the company's most beloved franchises.

Marvel Vs Capcom 2? I wish I could love you...

katajero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By katajero
     Hi my name is Katajero and I'm a fighter

I seriously don't know why, after being introduced to them after I got my first SNES, I started on Street Fighter 2, then moved onto Turbo, then Mortal Kombat 2, then finally Killer Instinct. Something about those fighting games remain in my mind to this day and I just love the complexity of the fights, from the tactical approaches to the hidden mind battles against your opponent. This generation, my mainly played fighting games have been Street Fighter 4, Tekken 6 and Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars. 

Being such a serious fighting game fan, I obviously have played through the ages of fighting games, when I had a PS1 I had many mixes of Street Fighter I couldn't wrap my head around. First of all was the weird and different but fascinating Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha and it's far away brother sequel, Street Fighter EX2 Plus, then the super fast Alpha/Zero series. I also got a chance to play other fighters like Tekken to Tekken 3, sadly on other peoples consoles. Around the Xbox age I managed to snag a copy of Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike as well as visit the old school age and play Soul Calibur and N64's Fighters Destiny. 

There's one game, that I wish I could love, just because of the huge community and love for this game, but I cannot. That game is... Marvel VS Capcom 2! WHY NOT? I mean sure... it boasts butt loads of characters, all from both the Marvel and Capcom universe! And sure...  it's jazz soundtrack is different but after hearing it for a while you'll love it! And also... sure it's gameplay is a little broken too, well whoopidoo... yeah. I just can't dig that game, no matter how much I tried! I hate the soundtrack with a passion, it just doesn't sound cool to me, not saying jazz sucks, just MvC 2 jazz isn't my... taste. I dig the character selection, again the idea of these Marvel characters and these Capcom character is a dream come true to many, but to be "pro" at MvC2 also requires you to be cheap, and select these "God tier" characters just to stand a chance. You know who I'm talking about, god damn Magneto, Cable, Storm, Doom... there's more but the rage is slowly filling up. This "broken" mechanic that the game touts as amazing and "fun" is really separating the crowd that are:
    a) Trying to get into the game 
    b) Just pro at it 

I love Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, it has more polish, the depth of the fighting mechanic is both easy to learn and quite deep, with so many set ups and combos, making it perfect for people who want to get into it and those seasoned fighters who want to try out something new in this generation. I don't have to spam the same thing over and over just because it's the only thing that can be done with the characters, if you were fighting someone and they somehow got you into an infinite combo where you're just being juggled by an uppercut again and again, I would throw my control down, swear at the game for being broken and go play a game with mechanics that aren't as dirty as low quick kicks in Tekken. Infact MvC2 is the Eddy Gordo of the fighting genre, with it's barrage of O and X.

It sounds like I'm hating on MvC2 for not being "noob friendly", but we were all "noobs" at one point. Seeing the tournament play of MvC2 just shows how much of a mess it is, how am I supposed to get that good, what tactic is there other than just being plain aggressive and over-powering your opponent with no option to fight back and a blitz storm of constant attacks, no matter how cheap they may look, it's pro apparently! NO! You just exploited the mechanics of an already broken game and shown us why the game shouldn't of been sold as a broken game in the first place! 
    katajero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By katajero
     Hi my name is Katajero and I'm a fighter

I seriously don't know why, after being introduced to them after I got my first SNES, I started on Street Fighter 2, then moved onto Turbo, then Mortal Kombat 2, then finally Killer Instinct. Something about those fighting games remain in my mind to this day and I just love the complexity of the fights, from the tactical approaches to the hidden mind battles against your opponent. This generation, my mainly played fighting games have been Street Fighter 4, Tekken 6 and Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars. 

Being such a serious fighting game fan, I obviously have played through the ages of fighting games, when I had a PS1 I had many mixes of Street Fighter I couldn't wrap my head around. First of all was the weird and different but fascinating Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha and it's far away brother sequel, Street Fighter EX2 Plus, then the super fast Alpha/Zero series. I also got a chance to play other fighters like Tekken to Tekken 3, sadly on other peoples consoles. Around the Xbox age I managed to snag a copy of Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike as well as visit the old school age and play Soul Calibur and N64's Fighters Destiny. 

There's one game, that I wish I could love, just because of the huge community and love for this game, but I cannot. That game is... Marvel VS Capcom 2! WHY NOT? I mean sure... it boasts butt loads of characters, all from both the Marvel and Capcom universe! And sure...  it's jazz soundtrack is different but after hearing it for a while you'll love it! And also... sure it's gameplay is a little broken too, well whoopidoo... yeah. I just can't dig that game, no matter how much I tried! I hate the soundtrack with a passion, it just doesn't sound cool to me, not saying jazz sucks, just MvC 2 jazz isn't my... taste. I dig the character selection, again the idea of these Marvel characters and these Capcom character is a dream come true to many, but to be "pro" at MvC2 also requires you to be cheap, and select these "God tier" characters just to stand a chance. You know who I'm talking about, god damn Magneto, Cable, Storm, Doom... there's more but the rage is slowly filling up. This "broken" mechanic that the game touts as amazing and "fun" is really separating the crowd that are:
    a) Trying to get into the game 
    b) Just pro at it 

I love Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, it has more polish, the depth of the fighting mechanic is both easy to learn and quite deep, with so many set ups and combos, making it perfect for people who want to get into it and those seasoned fighters who want to try out something new in this generation. I don't have to spam the same thing over and over just because it's the only thing that can be done with the characters, if you were fighting someone and they somehow got you into an infinite combo where you're just being juggled by an uppercut again and again, I would throw my control down, swear at the game for being broken and go play a game with mechanics that aren't as dirty as low quick kicks in Tekken. Infact MvC2 is the Eddy Gordo of the fighting genre, with it's barrage of O and X.

It sounds like I'm hating on MvC2 for not being "noob friendly", but we were all "noobs" at one point. Seeing the tournament play of MvC2 just shows how much of a mess it is, how am I supposed to get that good, what tactic is there other than just being plain aggressive and over-powering your opponent with no option to fight back and a blitz storm of constant attacks, no matter how cheap they may look, it's pro apparently! NO! You just exploited the mechanics of an already broken game and shown us why the game shouldn't of been sold as a broken game in the first place! 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d0799277f8eb
    deactivated-5d0799277f8eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I understand how you feel, I felt the same way, UNTIL, I read some faqs and practiced some basic moves, and you know, things started to make sense. This game isn't based on mashing buttons AT ALL, I have to disagree on it being the Eddie Gordo of fighting games. You are right on one thing though, it's very noob unfriendly, and playing against better opponents will just leave you very frustrated. 
    My advice, if you really want to give this game a chance, learn the basic mechanics of the game (dashing, launchers, push-blocking, guard braking, etc). A generic faq will be of great help. Then, pick a good character to be your main fighter (I use Cable), and another one whose assists can really help your guy (with cable, you can use Captain Commando's anti-air assist, or Cyclops', or even Dr. Doom's aa ). Again, reading character specific faqs will help you a lot. At this point, try to find some people at your level and apply everything you learned and practiced. 
    I hate those pixies (characters who rely on combos), so my strategy is to give my opponent a really hard time getting near me (using Cable's gun combined with Doom's aa assist).
    Hope I helped a little bit.
    See ya.

briggs713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By briggs713
    @Costello: Thanks... I basically have the same complaints even though I really want to like this game.
    Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Yeah, MvC2 is also too crazy for me. I just doesnt feel right to me. I much prefer Capcom Vs. SNK 2, SFIII:3rd Strike, and Garou: Mark of the Wolves for fighting games from that era. I also prefer the more focused feel of TvC:UAS and MvC1. 

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By AltonBrown

MvC2 is SUPER bananas. That's why I like it. Here's a hint: only play with people you know.

error5305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By error5305

Yea as much as I love fighting games this one I've always been on the fence about.  I've gotta take it for what it is, I can't say it's broken by any means but it's a different beast than my fav., 3rd strike.  For me it comes down to the simple fact I've personally never got the rush of adrenaline I get from a tight match win or lose because that is what will hook me for good.  Even picking up TvC for the first few times I got that and is the reason I love 3rd strike.  Maybe it just has to do with the very inherent balance issues that come from 3 on 3, there generally seems to be 1-2 characters who can make or break the fight.  But like Alton said I do enjoy it much more playing against close friends for some reason, ah well I'm still getting hyped for the MvC3 even if it isn't a lifelong love affair!

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By sickVisionz
    @Costello said:
    " I hate those pixies (characters who rely on combos), so my strategy is to give my opponent a really hard time getting near me (using Cable's gun combined with Doom's aa assist). Hope I helped a little bit.See ya. "
    Cable gun rape + Dr. Doom AA is exactly what the TC was saying he dislikes about the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.