Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter

Franchise »

Capcom's Street Fighter franchise became popular with the release of Street Fighter II, and has gone on to become one of the company's most beloved franchises.

We Are Street Fighter

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

Ever since Evo and Saltybet and the various bits of interesting coverage Patrick's been doing on the FGC recently, it seems like the collective opinion here at Giantbomb has been gradually growing more positive. I thought I'd keep the good feels going by directing you guys to this 72-minute documentary on Street Fighter, done by Area 5 in collaboration with Capcom. There's a ton of great insight and interviews with industry luminaries like Yu Suzuki (they do not ask him about Shenmue) and friend-of-the-site Seth Killian.

What I'd be curious to know is (please mods don't lock my thread :D) if anyone has noticed their own feelings towards the FGC changing recently. It seems like it wasn't very long ago when the words FGC and sexism had become synonyms, but I'd like to think we've gotten past that. After all, no matter what our history with video games may be, we are all a little bit Street Fighter.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By TruthTellah

I wouldn't say I think the FGC is in any way past its issues with sexism, but then, I've always just considered it a problem like anything else. I still like the FGC because it's bigger than that, and hopefully it will continue to improve. Just like I have issues with wider gaming and society at large, but I am still a part of it and have hope for the future. I think there are great things in humanity despite its serious problems, and it's the same with the FGC and the continued efforts to improve it for the future. :)

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ThunderSlash

You're Street Fighter. I am Street Fighter. They are Street Fighter. WE ARE ALL STREET FIGHTER.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I am not street fighter,more like a dangerous combination of Tekken with a dash of DOA.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: As Harada will attest, if you are Tekken, you are Street Fighter. Watch the doc.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I am Smash these days.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Enjoyed the doc but I kind of wish the game was about the "making of" rather than the cultural influence and fighting scene.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The FGC might consist of entirely horrible people but at least there's only like a few thousand of them; if you compare it to Dota clones where there are literally millions of mouthbreathing imbeciles you kind of start to respect the smaller communities out there. Keep on fightin like fightin Joe.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Rick_Fingers

I hate the idea of the FGC being called the FGC

It's the equivalent of people calling themselves Team Jacob and it drives me up the fucking wall.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By StarvingGamer

I hate the idea of the FGC being called the FGC

It's the equivalent of people calling themselves Team Jacob and it drives me up the fucking wall.

I'd be interested in hearing how this comment makes any sort of sense.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've been binge watching every 2013 SSF4AE2012 tournament I can find on Youtube the last few days, and there are a lot. I have noticed a distinct decline in douchebaggery on display from both players and commentators compared to previous years. (Though there are a few hangers on*coughfilippinochampcough* who occasionally say some dumb-ass shit.) I have also noticed people no longer obviously throw matches for pot splitting purposes, which is good because that was fucking stupid. The FGC seems to finally be getting its shit together. I hope it can keep it up. I also really hope Capcom doesn't drop the ball with USF4 (though the whole thing may be a mistake, SF4 is a bit long in the tooth for another mere update... where's SF5 already?!?)

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: I imagine SFV won't come until we're a few years into the next console cycle. USFIV seems like a great way to inject some new life into the game, provided they don't fuck up the balance. It's a tough line they're walking for sure.

Also if you're on a AE binge, you should check out this FT10 between Daigo and Xian that happened at PAX.

Loading Video...

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By csl316

Watched this a few days ago and it was pretty great.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By GunstarRed

@jcgamer said:

Enjoyed the doc but I kind of wish the game was about the "making of" rather than the cultural influence and fighting scene.

This is kinda how I felt about it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.