Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Streets of Rogue

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 12, 2019

Streets of Rogue is a top-down rogue-lite that combines shooting, stealth, and role-playing elements in a procedurally generated city.

What's the Greatest Video Game: Streets of Rogue

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By imunbeatable80

This is an ongoing list where I attempt to do the following: Play, Complete, and Rank every video game in the known universe in order to finally answer the age old question "What is the greatest game of all time?" For previous entries find the links on the attached spreadsheet.

How did I do?

CategoryCompletion level
    CompletedYes
    Hours Played~15
    Professions wonDoctor, Police Officer

I am constantly on the lookout for interesting games that either I might want to play, introduce others to play, or eventually see my kids playing. Of course we live in an era of videogames where every week there is probably at least one game that fits any of the bills above. It might not be a big release and I might not even learn about it for awhile but there is always something out that I want to throw my money down on. It is easily the reason to blame for my gigantic backlog of videogames, that and my crippling addiction of wanting to have fun, but I'll buy games knowing full well that I won't get around to playing it for months if not years later.

No Caption Provided

Streets of Rogue is a game that I initially went out and purchased after watching Dan do the quick look on this very site. I was in the heyday of trying to have a YouTube channel and thought that this game looked like a really fun co-op game that me and my buddy could do for a video. Turns out we never did, but I played the game later, so it all works out in the wash. "Streets of Rogue" is a rogue-lite where you play as a character who is enlisted into a pseudo-resistance operation looking to unseat the mayor of a city and take it over. Of course the pseudo-resistance doesn't really play a part in the game outside of being a home base where you come back to in-between runs. Before you begin on your run you are tasked with picking a character (based on profession) and then starting in the slums and working your way up the floors until you get to the mayor. It's a relatively hard game to explain, because everything I just said, really doesn't matter in terms of the game, that was all useless plot setup that you don't really think of while you play the game.

The only thing that does matter is the character you pick. For each character you pick has their own unique starting equipment, attributes, traits, skills and main mission that they are trying to accomplish throughout your run. Some of these vary wildly, but each one offers a fairly unique way to play through the game. For instance the Police officer needs to arrest X amount of bad guys on each floor as part of their main mission, and on top of that they have an ability where if they are not in combat can handcuff people which automatically subdues them for the remainder of the time you are on that floor (more on this later.) On the other side of things, a gangster (Dan's favorite), has to kill members of an opposing gang on each floor. A simple observation is that the gangster is going to get in a lot more combat encounters then the police officer might.

No Caption Provided

Alright..alright.. I still haven't really explained the game yet. Streets of Rogue is played floor by floor in a 2D over the head view. Each floor is randomly generated (following the template of the world you are on) and you are given a random assortment of missions that you need to complete before you can proceed to the next floor. Regardless of the character you pick you could get assigned jobs that your character will exceed at, or quite the opposite. Once all the missions have either been completed or failed you can move on to the next floor and next. For instance you might get assigned a job to "neutralize" someone on the floor, or get an item out of a safe, or even hack a computer. How you go about completing those missions are almost always completely up to you and the character you picked. If you need to neutralize someone, you could kill them, you could hire someone else to kill them, handcuff them, sedate them, lure them into a trap, etc. The game is not picky about how you go about completing your objectives as long as they get done. For instance the cop might be able to walk right up behind the character handcuff them (regardless if they are guilty of anything) and mission accomplished without any bloodshed. The gangster might tell his gang members to kill in his stead, and a doctor might be able to just sedate them. Upon completion of each mission you are given a reward item, as well as experience points which will allow you to level up. Complete enough floors and you move to the next world which will change some dynamics of the game. For instance the Slum world (world 1) isn't really heavily guarded or patrolled by cops, but world 5 is basically a police state. World 3 or 4 (can't remember) is an outside park where there are dozens of cannibals in hiding, that could attack you on sight if they are hungry enough.

No Caption Provided

Where the rogue elements come into play are in the unlockables that will appear in following runs that might make your next run a success. Some missions earn you chicken nuggets which is the one currency that carries over run to run, and those chicken nuggets can be used to unlock traits (abilities you get to pick upon leveling up), items (things that appear in shops or are given as quest rewards) or mutators (things you can turn on or off to make the game more to your liking). For instance if you are always dying in the cannibal world, there is a trait that you can purchase that will make the cannibals not attack you on sight. Of course, there is no guarantee that you will see that pop up in a run, but in order for there to even be a chance of it appearing you have to unlock it first. Then when you level up and complete a floor it might show up alongside two other traits and you have to pick which one you want to add to your character on this particular run.

There is a lot more I could say about this game, but the thing I want to focus on is its difficulty. This game can be incredibly tough to make it through, and a lot of your best runs are going to end because of a bad break that can make this game frustrating. I beat the game with arguably two of the easiest characters to play as. Both the doctor and the Cop can get through most floors without engaging in combat, and that is the main reason I was able to make it to the end. Combat itself can go sideways fast, what might start off as you taking out a lowly drug dealer turns into a floor clearing brawl because a cop witnessed you, or a stray bullet hit a guard, or you ran into a shop and now the shopkeeper is trying to keep their merchandise safe. Once combat is engaged with people, it is rarely disengaged. Enemies will run away if their health is low and they don't want to die, and the shopkeeper might not wander too far from their store, but other characters might not quit until you or they are dead. That wouldn't be such a big problem, but the game is designed to be a little squirrely so combat is not an accurate affair, weapons are controlled in a twin-stick shooter kind of manor, and most spaces are tight where you aren't going to have lots of separation from your enemies. Guns aren't super prevalent so you might find yourself trying to conserve energy by using melee weapons, only to know that you are going to take some hits on your own. This is to say that when I have tried playing as more combat focused characters I usually don't make it nearly as far as I can when playing as other characters. That might just be my play-style and other people might have more luck then me. What makes the game tough is besides purchasing traits, etc. with your carry over chicken nuggets, nothing else carries over. Maybe you died with a great inventory, or died but had almost a perfect build with the traits you selected, when you start a new run none of that stuff carries over and the next time you play you might not see those same items or traits available to select. The amount of times I had to pick a trait that didn't fit my playstyle because it was the best of some bad choices can make you feel like your level up was a waste.

No Caption Provided

Where this game shines though is its co-op multiplayer. Playing couch co-op with a friend or 3 you can mix and match all the characters (or create your own) to make it through the game. While there is some initial difficulty, because you have to all stay on the same screen, you can help each other work towards big goals that might allow you to get further then you normally would. Pairing a cop and a gangster on the same team, means that the cop can go arrest the rival gang members (assuming they are by themselves) without the gangster getting into an unecessary fight. Pairing a gorilla with a soldier, means that the gorilla can give any guns it finds and can't use to someone who can use them. There are lots of combos wither 2 or 3 person that can make the game more enjoyable to go on. Of course it will also up the antics and you will either have to have good communication with your friend but the game because of its insane systems will allow for some madcap good fun. Post one person in front of the door to a house, while another friend drops a gas into the houses ventilation system, and then as everyone tries to leave before being poisoned, knocked out, etc. your door sentry can kill them. As your characters level up you can also pick traits that might spec in different directions and play to each of your own strengths. While playing the game solo is fun, but tough.. playing his game co-op can bring it to another level.

This game is certainly not for everyone. It doesn't really tell a story, there isn't really an endgame outside of seeing if you can beat it with everyone and unlock everything, and it is longer then most other rogue-likes I have played. A long run can take easily an hour or more, and while you can save it mid-run (starts back at the beginning of the floor you are on), you might die close to the end and not immediately want to jump back into another hour long run. It's also not a looker, it looks like what the definition of an indie game looks like, and whether that is your style or not can depend on how long you want to stare at the game.

No Caption Provided

Despite its flaws, I still think this is a really good couch co-op fun rogue-lite that has prevented me from archiving it on my switch despite beating it. I don't think this game will replace something like Mario Party, Overcooked, Mario Kart, or some more traditional couch multiplayer games, but I think if you can find a couch partner that would enjoy this game it can certainly keep you entertained for a little bit.

Is this the greatest game of all time?: Nah

Where does it rank: This is one of the better "indie" titles I have on the list, but it also relies on a multiplayer factor to its ranking that not a lot of other games need. I still had fun playing the game, in fact both times I beat it were solo, but if and when I fire it up again it will be strictly to play co-op. I have it placed as the 33rdgreatest games of a possible 93. It sits nestled into its multiplayer nest of right above "WCW/NWO Revenge" (34th) and "Super Mario Party" (32nd).

Up Next

*Programming note - DQ11 might be pushed down one review, as I am trying to finish up the final post game battle, but I might need the weekend to complete it.. If it does get pushed down then Moving Out will be the next review I do*

1. Dragon Quest 11: Echoes... (Switch)

2. Moving Out (PS4)

3. Shovel Knight (Switch)

4. Golf Story (Switch)

Anyone looking for it: here is the link to the list and more if you are interested in following along with me (this is not a self promotion). Here. I added links on the spreadsheet for quick navigation. Now if you missed a blog of a game you want to read about, you can get to it quickly, rather than having to scroll through my previous blogs wondering when it came up.

Thanks for Listening.

thetafox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always read your articles, thanks for posting them. I really like streets of rogue but never tried the co-op, reading this has made me want to jump back in.

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetafox: thank you! That means a lot. Yeah Co-op is a blast as long as you have some like minded players. It might take them a game or two to get the groove (lots of stuff to learn) but otherwise I think it's good fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.