Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Strife

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released May 22, 2015

A traditional MOBA from the studio behind Heroes of Newerth, designed from the ground up to reduce player toxicity. It was later discontinued on October 2018.

"Designed to reduce player toxicity": How, exactly?

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Hey duders,

not trying to troll or be a jerk, but how does this game aim to reduce player toxicity through design? The wiki article isn't written yet and I'm curious as to what the team behind Strife are planning.

Grelik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Grelik

I'm definitely in favour of retiring the buzz word "toxicity" and it's brother "toxic".

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

If you're a jerk, they'll fill your screen with buttholes, and you can't quit until they're done flexing.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't there a Doom clone game called Strife ages ago? If I recall correctly it was vaguely RPG ish and you did quests and stuff. I think I played a demo.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The toxicity is vitriolic with how toxic all these little fuckers are being.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Wasn't there a Doom clone game called Strife ages ago? If I recall correctly it was vaguely RPG ish and you did quests and stuff. I think I played a demo.

Well, it ran on the Doom (Doom 2? Hang on... Doom) engine so it wasn't a "clone" (also it was much more RPG than shooter, though you did shoot spells and stuff a bunch). I played it back in the day and it was good. Here. So, they can call this "Strife" all they want, but it's not the real one. ...and I don't even need to feel bad about derailing the thread, since you did it for me... :-)

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think they are simplifying the mechanics a little, and making it a little harder for a single player to ruin the game for the other 4 teammates. This is because gold and exp is shared on some level.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Corevi

They reduce toxicity by making it a bad game no one wants to play.

Players can't be toxic if there are none.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This. I cant believe S2 are naive enough to think this game can do anything when HoN is on its last legs.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By splodge

@dizzyhippos said:

@corruptedevil said:

This. I cant believe S2 are naive enough to think this game can do anything when HoN is on its last legs.

There is going to be a ton of MOBA games flinging themselves into the abyss like so many greedy lemmings. Same thing happened in the MMO boom. They start making the game when they realise there is money to be made, but it takes two year or more to make, at which time the market has already chewed up and spit out anything that are not the most popular games. It's the Warhammer Online effect.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

With the taste of your lane, I'm on a ride

You're toxic, I'm gonna report you

With a taste of the poison ultimate

I'm addicted to you, don't you know that you're a MOBA

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@splodge: I know that but S2 has already had one of there game's destroyed by the dota effect, they could exist pre-dota2 because there game was the closest thing to dota ass dota.

Avatar image for usernameandemail
    Usernameandemail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I've played of it, by being terrible so it doesn't have any players to be toxic.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

You can't unless you are going to ban every single user who does something dumb, trollish, etc.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#16 fisk0  Moderator

@oldguy said:

@bongchilla said:

Well, it ran on the Doom (Doom 2? Hang on... Doom) engine so it wasn't a "clone" (also it was much more RPG than shooter, though you did shoot spells and stuff a bunch). I played it back in the day and it was good. Here. So, they can call this "Strife" all they want, but it's not the real one. ...and I don't even need to feel bad about derailing the thread, since you did it for me... :-)

Yeah, the real Strife was fantastic. I think it was actually built mainly on Hexen code (which had some upgrades compared to Doom, such as the ability to look up and down, jump and let level designers do a bit more advanced stuff). It's the only Doom engine game with dialog trees and cutscenes too, which made it take really long before the mod community managed to reverse engineer it.

Apparently it was also ported to the Amiga just last year.

littleemille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If only they were just buzz words instead of highly accurate terms.

@grelik said:

I'm definitely in favour of retiring the buzz word "toxicity" and it's brother "toxic".

Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
    deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know much about the game in particular, but I remember Patrick (IIRC) mentioning that Valve were experimenting with colours (having calmer colours like light blue) in loading and other things to see if players reacted differently during the game(DOTA 2 I imagine).

I'm not sure how successful that is/will be, but I wouldn't be surprised if the music and colours used in the game could help to keep players calmer and not get so worked up. But... as Simpsons taught us years ago, "Some of them... are just jerks"

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I hope for S2's sake they are making a game that is sustainable with a lower player base because I have a hard time seeing anyone who wants a lower skill cap game not just going with Blizzard and HotS, and there is no way in hell it's gonna compete with League and Dota.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.