Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Stronghold 3

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

The extremely belated sequel to 2005's Stronghold 2. This time it will supposedly steer away from the complicated nature of Stronghold 2, and return to the more simplified gameplay of the original Stronghold while keeping the best elements from both games.

Anybody picking this up?

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ShockD

I used to play Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader a lot back in the day. those were definitely my favorite RTS games, but Firefly totally screwed up with Stronghold 2 and Stronghold Legends. Seems like 3D isn't their strongest side. I'm still a big fan of the series yet something about Stronghold 3 worries me. Perhaps that it will repeat the mistakes of Stronghold 2?

So if you're picking this up, what do you expect from the game? I hope they'll come back to the roots of the franchise instead trying to innovate.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Binman88

I'm considering it, but I'm definitely waiting to see how it's received before making a decision. I never played the previous games in the series, but the gameplay looked fun in that quicklook of the original.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Dingofighter

I won't be buying it at release, but if it seems good I'll probably buy it on a Steam sale later.
    I just remembered I bought Stronghold 1 again after watching the QL a while back, still haven't played it...

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I might, depending on reviews. Hopefully, they'll change some game mechanics because the game remained largely unchanged since the first one (if memory serves). I'm hoping that it'll be great as it's one of the few, if not, the only true castle building game.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have some really good memories of Crusader, so if 3 turns out to be good I might try roping my friends into buying it.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By SSully

I loved the original stronghold and its crusader addition, but I will wait for this to be cheap before buying.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hero_swe

They've said that they're definitely going back to the successful Stronghold 1 formula and mixing in some of the honor system of 2. So I'm hopeful.
    mkultra419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mkultra419

The first one and the Crusader add-on were great time wasters (ala Minecraft), basically a nice looking version of building sand castles at the beach with a simple economic system. The second one and the sorta-MMO weren't nearly as good because they added complexity without any additional gameplay payback (it was more complex to get the same outcome of a functioning stronghold), If they are planning on getting back to the feel of the original again this could be really good.

ballsnbayonets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ballsnbayonets

the DREW QUICK LOOK WILL DETERMINE ALL

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thornie_delete

It's a Steam Sale game if there ever was one.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ryanwho

Stronghold 2 had some issues. Its never good to blind buy a strategy game. Made that mistake with Empire Earth 3.

jj24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By jj24

THIS GAME IS A FUCKING TRAVESTY. I will be going back to playing Stronghold 2. This game was released unfinished. We who bought this pile of shit are now one of the biggest communities of BETA testers the gameing world has ever seen. seriously dude save the 50 bucks and wait for them to patch this shit up and drop the price about 30 dollars... heres something that will really chap your ass... NO SKIRMISH MODE/ KINGMAKER.. no dynamic AI... small maps... free build has now got 3 maps... wooden keeps that can never be upgraded. building walls are fucking ridiculous... wolves can climb guard towers and eat every fucking one of your archers ( latest patch fixed that) !!! Spears can be thrown through walls. Feeding peasants is extremely difficult. It goes on and on dude... It is worse than stronghold 1. STRONGHOLD 2 DOES EVERYTHING BETTER. I was really excited by this only to be crushed first for paying 50 bucks for an unfinished pile of shite and now Im using the box as a paper weight.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.