Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Subnautica

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jan 23, 2018

An underwater open world game focusing on exploration, and building.

Subnautica Quick Look

• 66 results
    spoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Made you look, there isn't one ... yet. But I'd like to see one and it's been mentioned on one or two Beastcasts. This is such a great game it'd be good if it got more exposure and more people played it, the game deserves it.

An endurance run would be even better!

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There's coming one I believe as they mentioned, it's probably just needs to fit in their schedule.

spoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinny mentioned he was stuck and not sure what to do next, which is a problem I had until I powered through. Hopefully him and Dan manage to pull something together for a QL.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By 49th  Online

They put one on the site already but removed it because one of the devs was bad.

edit: I might be wrong, I could have sworn I saw it on YouTube but it could have been something else

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th: I...don't think this is true? There is an Unfinished still on the site from 2015, and it's still here, so I doubt it taking awhile to get put on the site has anything to do with that asshat sound designer getting fired. I certainly didn't notice any posting of an official Quick Look at any point.

spoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure there's not been a quick look and it'd be pretty lame to take it down because of that situation with the sound designer. He's not the videogame.

pappafost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is my favorite game of 2018, and my favorite crafting/survival game of all time. I've played Ark, The Forest, Rust, The Long Dark, Don't Starve. I didn't touch it until full release, and now I'm glad I waited. It could be frustrating for someone playing it with zero use of the wiki, because that got me unstuck a couple of times. If you need gold or diamonds, you would potentially have no clue where to get them. The key is to look for different biomes and see what you can find on the ground. I think this should be a Giantbomb series. It's the most polished and completed of all the crafting/survival games. The underwater setting really makes it unique. If you like clean plastic-y tech from the future, a la Portal, this is game is for you. My base had a storeroom with about a dozen lockers, and it's fun just organizing your stuff. Subnautica devs need to figure out a way to make cleaning out my real garage fun, haha.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they get a few GBE Playdates out it. Just one QL won't be enough for me.

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

I would 1000% watch a @vinny Endurance run of Subnautica. The game is a joy.

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By UpperDecker

Just my two cents here. I'm a huge fan of open world crafting/survival games and have bought many early access. This one is great and very fun to play. However I think a Quick Look would not be good for this game. When ARK came out of early access, Giant Bomb did a quick look on it, and it was very disheartening to watch (FOR ME), because there is so much more to the game then just fighting raptors on a beach for an hour. I didn't like the quick look and it was just like watching a new person play it who doesn't know what they are doing for an hour and it was not what I would have liked to see for the game.

The only way I could see a Subnautica Quick Look over a series being entertaining is if they had two save points. One to show off the beginning for a few minutes and show how pretty that game is when you pop the hatch. Then cut forward to an advanced set up and show some of the extras in that game. There is a lot of story there and it's very entertaining when you find new areas, learn about what has happened, etc.

I vote for a series, not a QL.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@upperdecker: that's a really good idea. I love the quick look format, but some games don't fit perfectly. I'd be all about a deeper dive though. (...Sorry)

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Memu

Go to youtube and watch jacksepticeye play some of it. I think he has 22+ 2-3 hour episodes now. Watching him is what got me to play it. I finished it once. Then I just messed around and made a huge base. And now I am playing it again ironman. Yeah, I am hooked!

Par1val

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play a good 20 hours on freedom mode. Which made things so much easier not having to worry about water and food. Once you build a base and have a system for growing food and water then that problems solved.

mrbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By mrbubbles

They definitely did put up a Subnautica quick look with Dan and Vinny but it's gone now for some reason. I 100% remember watching the quick look.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrbubbles: From how long ago? Are you sure they didn't do a playdate or you're not talking about Dan and Drew's Stranded Deep Unfinished?

They definitely haven't put up a QL since the game came out, that much is 100% certain. Let along put one up that people watched that they then took down.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By geirr

This game does seem cool and a QL would be cool too!

Really wish it supported some kind of multiplayer but from what I understand the developers said it would be close to impossible.

mrbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: It came out around the time the game left early access. I very specifically remember Dan telling Vinny how he was building his base to get towards the crashed ship and talking about how he needed to get sulfur and showing Vinny where to get the sulfur from. I also remember Dan giving Vinny a tour of his base in the Quick Look.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 49th  Online

@sethmode: It came out around the time the game left early access. I very specifically remember Dan telling Vinny how he was building his base to get towards the crashed ship and talking about how he needed to get sulfur and showing Vinny where to get the sulfur from. I also remember Dan giving Vinny a tour of his base in the Quick Look.

Yep, I remember parts of this too. There must be more than two people that saw this phantom Quick Look.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, it's just if there was any proof of this supposed Quick Look other than a vague memory of sulfur and a base tour I'd be more inclined to believe it, but there's nothing about it anywhere that I can find. Even using the Wayback Machine. And this would have to be within like the last 10 days or so, because it was I believe the February 2nd episode of the Beastcast that Vinny was talking about really liking it and hoping to do a QL soon. So it's not like we're talking about something that's years old that only a few people can remember.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Hey question for all the people playing this game: I like the idea of it, but being underwater worries me that the movement is gonna be annoying. Is this true?

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@sethmode: I like the idea of the Giant Bomb forums having their own Mandela Effect though.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freakache: The very same thought had definitely crossed my mind!

spoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By spoodie

@daiphyer: It depends what annoys you. Movement is pretty slow to begin with, but not awkward. At the start you don't need to travel very far anyway. And once you need to explore further you'll likely have equipment that allows you to move faster.

Avatar image for theps2collector
    ThePS2Collector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They did do an Unfinished of Subnautica. Could that be what people are thinking of? https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unfinished-subnautica-02-06-2015/2300-9928/

mattchops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only gripe, and maybe I just don't know, but I wish there was a sonar type scan where it would tell me where specific resources are. I feel like I'm always hunting gold and silver, but have enough titanium to build the spaceship again.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My recollection of the Unfinished years ago is that I thought the game looked deeply boring and I had no interest in following its development, so I'm surprised to hear all the positive buzz around its release.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattchops: Scanner rooms will do that. Do not neglect the scanner room. I do wish that scanner room results displayed better, though.

Zomboid_Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was a Dan led quick look. Either that or I am going insane.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zomboid_ross: Hmmm, that's three now in this thread, but still no physical proof outside of that that I can find that this thing exists or existed. Did you happen to watch it on a VHS tape before the movie Shazaam or read about it in a Berenstein Bears book?

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theps2collector: The memory that people have is of a recent Quick Look helmed by Dan and featuring Vinny, so it isn't that Unfinished. I am certainly very interested at this point.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was there some drama with the developers? They could have pulled the QL like they did with A Hat in Time

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was some drama around the sound designer getting fired for some tweets. But I hope GB leaves the politics out of gaming. There is already plenty of that on Steam or Polygon or Waypoint or Youtube or ...

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SethMode

There is no real proof that it ever existed, even in the Wayback Machine. Just rumblings of people remembering something. Either way, I highly doubt they would pull it over a sound designer that was fired.

Also, stop with saying nonsense like "I hope GB leaves politics out of gaming." GB decides what content to put out, period. Their reasoning could be any dozen of things behind the scenes or otherwise, and they have never really talked about it, so speculating is pointless. And if they come out and say that that's why, well then, that's their prerogative. Anyway, the only person in this scenario that injected politics into gaming was the asshat sound designer that said rather awful shit and got himself fired because of it.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kcin

Dan and Vinny had detailed and lengthy discussions about Subnautica on two episodes of the Beastcast recently. People are probably combining that dialogue with memories of the Unfinished.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode said:

Also, stop with saying nonsense like "I hope GB leaves politics out of gaming." GB decides what content to put out, period. Their reasoning could be any dozen of things behind the scenes or otherwise, and they have never really talked about it, so speculating is pointless. And if they come out and say that that's why, well then, that's their prerogative. Anyway, the only person in this scenario that injected politics into gaming was the asshat sound designer that said rather awful shit and got himself fired because of it.

I can hope for whatever I like. That's my prerogative! You are shoving your politics into this, so I am out.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SethMode

@kcin: I actually just got confirmation from Dan just now that that was the case and that they were literally finishing the QL. So thus ends the great Subnautica QL Mandela Effect/conspiracy/GB DON'T PUT YOUR POLITICS INTO MY GAMES debate.

@memu Hah, whatever you say man, sorry if that upset you. I don't really know why it did. It's just, a weird thing for you to say with absolutely zero context. Especially now considering the QL is forthcoming.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Add me to the list of people remembering Dan leading Vinny through gameplay (QL or otherwise). No idea what's going on here.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty: I really think it's just a combination of the podcast and the old video creating a memory. Considering the game is only 2 weeks old, it's not like Dan forgot about a QL when he DMed me on Twitter about it. Either way, sounds like the QL was shot or will be finished today so I suspect it will drop by the end of the week as long as nothing goes awry.

mattchops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: He was talking about this: https://kotaku.com/subnautica-dev-fired-over-hateful-statements-1822746373

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattchops: I know. I was saying, I doubted that they would (and turns out they didn't) pull a QL for that situation, particularly considering the sound designer was fired. Regardless, my point still stands that the only one that would have made anything political in that situation was the sound designer.

mattchops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: Ya, you're right. I was just giving context, but you already knew what it was about.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 49th  Online

Fuck, I can't believe I got Mandela effected. My bad.

mrbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But I haven't watched the subnautica unfinished since the unfinished came out and don't remember anything from it. I watched that quick look around the time the game came out. My memory isn't perfect but I 100% remember watching the subnautica quick look with dan and vinny.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Efesell

@mrbubbles said:

But I haven't watched the subnautica unfinished since the unfinished came out and don't remember anything from it. I watched that quick look around the time the game came out. My memory isn't perfect but I 100% remember watching the subnautica quick look with dan and vinny.

One's memory can be very rude.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrbubbles: Dude! Are you being for real right now or is this a bit? Come on. Kidding aside, you're basically claiming Dan is a liar.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@memu said:
    @sethmode said:

I can hope for whatever I like. That's my prerogative! You are shoving your politics into this, so I am out.

Every single piece of art ever created is political, so what you're hoping for is to essentially ignore reality.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

There was never a QL (or other video) of Subnautica with Dan and Vinny.. Alex and Vinny played it on an Unfinished and Dan watched Drew play it on the Rift during the launch stream.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SethMode

Yeah, I straight up asked Dan on Twitter (as I said in this thread) about it, even joking about the Mandela Effec, and he said himself that he only ever talked about it with Vinny on a podcast. So, either someone is goofing, or they're saying Dan is lying. It's okay to mis-remember things, but this is going a little too far.

Also, the fact that one exists now means it makes even less sense that one existed before. They just deleted it...because reasons?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@iamjohn: I don’t actually think that’s how art works.

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By hansberg

They need to make this a real thing late next month, rather than imagined. Just pick a random game and release a Quick Look. Take it down after a couple of days.

Over on the front page put up a new listing in the Coming up on Giant Bomb box for the same game. Release the Quick Look with two different hosts. Take it down after a couple of days.

Coming up on Giant Bomb: same game, two other hosts. Take it down one more time after a couple of days.

April 1st: upload the Quick Look for the game, hosted by long time Giant Bomb personalities Dirt Bike and Tater Tot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.