Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Suikoden

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Dec 15, 1995

Genso Suikoden, a Japanese RPG, was one of the first role-playing games released for the PlayStation console. The game puts you in the role of a young hero who finds himself leading an army of rebels trying to overthrow a corrupt empire. The game features over 108 recruitable characters.

Does This Game Hold Up?

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kush

I'm in the mood to try out some old RPGs and more specifically, I'm interested in finding a good one for one of my portable systems. My friend mentioned Suikoden since it's available for d/l on PSN and only $6. What I want to know is this: Would the game still be fun today for someone who knows nothing of the series?

I will likely end up picking it up since the price is so low, but I'd still like to hear what people who played it back in the day think of it now.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By weltal

I had quite a bit of fun playing it, though it's not an especially difficult game from what I've played, it's a nice look back at a classic RPG. Certainly worth the price of entry.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By PureRok

I bought it on the PSN to play on my PSP and it's a great game. If they release Suikoden 2 on the PSN you'll be able to use your Suikoden 1 save for... "bonuses" in Suikoden 2.

Note: I had never played Suikoden before and I had a great time.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kush

Well I'm not really looking for something difficult/challenging. I'm looking for a fun game with an interesting story more than a challenging experience. The price of admission is too reasonable to pass I believe, not to mention the fact that I'd like to try out playing a downloaded game on my PSP.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jayge_

The game holds up. It's a fun game, it's got a pretty cool story (especially factoring its age), and it's none-too-hard as long as you manage your party correctly. You'll likely get around 15-20 hours out of it if you just play through, and you'll get much more than that if you get star-obsessed like many Suikoden fans have been for over a decade >.>

Definitely check it out. I think you'll like it. Just be forewarned. I accidentally fucked up my party completely and I'm having a wicked-ass time trying to beat one of the final bosses because I got fucked on one story element. It's something I should have watched out for, but... well, you don't seem like the person who ever likes guides, but you also have more jRPG experience than I do (I think?) so you should be fine.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187

*checks the name of the game*

That IS Suikoden, right?

*checks again*

Okay, just wanted to make sure that you weren't questioning ONE OF THE GREATEST RPGs EVER!!!

It's not Shining Force II, sir...but it's definitely badass.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By atejas

jRPGs tend to age well, especially the turn based variety.
    jakob187 said:

It's not Shining Force II, sir...but it's definitely badass.
    "

omg i love u
    Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Randolph

It holds up well enough, and every time I hear the title track, I get nostalgia shivers.  Possibly the single best thing you can buy on PSN, aside from Siren.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kush

So I decided to give in and purchase the game on PSN. I haven't tried it out yet, but I look forward to trying it out, though I'm also now tempted to grab Wild ARMs as well...

nvmfst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By nvmfst

Suikoden is amazing (Suikoden 2 does improve on the original though). I highly recommend it. I still have my disc of both. Wild Arms is good too haven't played it since it came out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.