Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sunset Overdrive

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 28, 2014

The latest energy drink, OverCharge Delirium XT, has turned Sunset City into an energy drink-fueled mutant apocalypse and it is up to you to survive in Insomniac Games' Xbox One exclusive.

Playable for free for 24 hours starting Saturday.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Link to the post right here. Xbox Live Gold required. If you haven't played Sunset Overdrive yet, you really should. If there is one game I'd say people have to play this year, it's this one. I don't remember having this much fun just playing the game, having the controller in my hand and moving around the world, just aimlessly, for years. It takes awhile for things to click (I'd recommend just playing through the main missions til you unlock the air dash), but once you get good at juggling moving around in the environment and shooting at the same time, it's just such a joy to play.

If there is one problem with the game, it just takes too long to come into its own. For the incredibly bombastic, in your face style that it has, it really shouldn't take 3-4 hours to click. After you get to that point, the writing is sharper, the humor gets better, the gameplay opens up, and the weapons get more interesting. It is really unfortunate some people got turned off by these opening hours, definitely something the developers need to fix for the sequel (c'mon, it's 2014, nothing gets made and not turned into a franchise).

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That's enough time to beat the game. Fantastic for anyone that has an Xbox One but doesn't have Sunset yet.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

That's cool! I wonder how many people will put in the effort to 'finish' it & what the means for future Gold weekends. It's funny and neat that they chose to do this over a demo.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By theacidskull

Ehhh it's good, but the humor has made me cringe more times than chuckle. I've played about 5-6 hours so far and I have not seriously laughed once, which is a shame since the whole narrative is built around it. That being said, I'm slowly warming up to it and everything seems to be improving.

The gameplay is fantastic though, and even if it's not that funny to me ( So far at least), I'm sure that most people will at the very least have a lot of fun. The weapons are diverse, combat has it's own distinct rules, the amps and power-ups are fun and diverse, and the customization is hilariously awesome. (Take notes, Destiny)

So it's definitely worth a look.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Call me cynical but this tells me the game didn't sell too well and they're trying to get any kind of attention to it they can. That's a shame, assuming that's right.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, m$ is really going out with the self promotion. Good time to have bought into the ecosystem!

katimanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So um, any word on when we can start the download? I feel like the whole game would take at least half a day on my internet.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That is fine and dandy, but the size of that game would take me 12 hours to download with the crappy speeds I get from XBL.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#9  Edited By Hector

So um, any word on when we can start the download? I feel like the whole game would take at least half a day on my internet.

"Beginning Saturday, November 22nd at 12.01 Eastern Time..." - Major Nelson

Just leave it downloading overnight.

Phili151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's really cool. Too bad I still don't have any form of next-gen console. Sunset Overdrive looks like fun!

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux: They did the same with Forza 5 a couple of months back. This is just part of their first birthday extravaganza.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

After I really really really hated the Xbox One and Microsoft and everything it stood for in its absolutely terrifying launch, I have to give it to them. They've been doing some pretty great things (disregarding MCCs issues) recently. It seems like a completely different device and I think that is the perfect thing for it to be. No kinect reading emotions and counting people in your living room, or unnecessary system inspections, or used game policies. I might grab a Bone at some point if they keep moving this direction.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Sackmanjones

Been playing this game and I totally agree, it's an absolute blast. I think there definitely is a learning curve on the ways of moving around. Once you start to know what bounces and what doesn't and how to transition from grinding to wall runs to bounces it is so fun to just move around. I kinda petered out of collecting everything and doing the challenges but the side quests and main missions are all pretty fun. The humor to me is pretty well executed and the diversity in the main story missions is actually quite awesome, you don't really do the same things in main missions more than twice which is unique to big open world games like this.

I would reccomend this game to pretty much anyone with an Xbox one.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@kishinfoulux: I really hope this isn't the case, the game deserves to do well

Spence_5060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems really cool. Taking another page out of the Steam playbook for sales and deals is always a really cool thing.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That's pretty awesome. I don't have an Xbone, but good on them. Glad to see Microsoft trying their hardest to make up ground.

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By roboculus92

It's already available to pre-load now if you wanna get a head start on downloading and playing it. The free one should be the standard version of the game (if you click the "great deals and free games" ad with a picture of lara croft on the home tab then it should be the first thing you see).

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SomeJerk

@kishinfoulux said:

Call me cynical but this tells me the game didn't sell too well and they're trying to get any kind of attention to it they can. That's a shame, assuming that's right.

It did not even chart in the October NPD top ten despite all the hype, promotion and marketing it got. Allegedly it would not have looked pretty even if it had been compared to sales of other Xbox One titles over October.

This feels like something of a reaction to the Destiny trial, even though it's multi-platform. (okay I just read up on what the Destiny trial contains and it's the beta content and a lv7 lock, this would be pretty nutty if it was a reaction to the Destiny trial)

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk:

I think I read in Neogaf's NPD thread that SO was the ninth best seller when sorted by individual SKUs, but perhaps I misread it

Still, as great as this game is, it was never going to be a huge seller. As long as the budget wasn't too high, I'm sure it'll be fine. Insomniac has been through far worse.

Guess I'll be playing some Chaos Squad this weekend, seeing as how Halo, COD, and GTAO are all broken.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Okay, I take it back. At a certain point the game triples in awesomeness. The first 4-6 hours were a little slow, but after that everything gets better.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Microsoft should have put out more Sunset Overdrive bundles than the Assassin's Creed Unity bundles.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ottoman673

This has convinced me to buy this game for $40 next week. It's damn good.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By handlas

Game leaves a little to be desired until you get the air dash... it's literally a game changer. Hope people aren't turned off when they give this a trial.

I've almost S ranked the game. Best game on the new consoles so far. Also, I was gifted a bunch of costume DLC because of the one year Xone thing I believe. Nice gesture.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.