Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sunset Overdrive

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 28, 2014

The latest energy drink, OverCharge Delirium XT, has turned Sunset City into an energy drink-fueled mutant apocalypse and it is up to you to survive in Insomniac Games' Xbox One exclusive.

Sunset Overdrive's Message for Reviewers

• 105 results
    impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By impartialgecko

Forbes' originally ran this video and it has since been picked up by Polygon and others:

Sunset TV advises reviewers not to use the phrase "Sunset Overhype" because it's lazy writing.

I don't know about you guys, but if I was Jeff or Brad and this flashed up while I was playing this game for review I'd be pretty irked by the idea of a kid half my age advising me on my diction. Even if he's probably right.

This video got me wondering whether publishers/developers are shooting themselves in the foot by telling writers how to do their job, or just ensuring writers come in with a preconceived notion about the quality of the experience they're about to have.

Do you think this is something we'll hear/see more of this generation? Or has this stuff always been going on and this is just the first time it has manifested inside the game?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

I appreciate that Insomniac are trying to give their marketing some personality, but... goddamn is this guy annoying. The whole acting all self-aware shtick gives it the sense that they're trying a little too hard. As for the reviewer joke, it doesn't seem any worse than all of the other dumb stuff he was saying.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Got no sound on my work computer, but I really want to punch that guy just from watching his smug, over-emoting face. If I were a reviewer, I'd dock points for this shit. Patronizing.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, Sunset Overdrive. You try so hard. I hope it's at least fun.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I hope that whatever user makes the review thread for this game uses the title "Sunset Overhype"

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Cue all reviews of Sunset Overdrive using the phrase out of spite. Unless that was their plan all along. The GB review will need to include the phrase but also not include it just to make sure.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh. It's dumb but there's lots of dumb suggestions to reviewers (the evil within suggested playing on easy even though "normal" is the intended game experience according to the game itself).

Hardly a scandal. Just lame.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By DeadpanCakes
    @yummylee said:

I appreciate that Insomniac are trying to give their marketing some personality, but... goddamn is this guy annoying. The whole acting all self-aware shtick gives it the sense that they're trying a little too hard. As for the reviewer joke, it doesn't seem any worse than all of the other dumb stuff he was saying.

That's pretty much what I was gonna say. I doubt reviewers'll be shouting "damn kid in the video game box is trying to tell me what to do!!" In fact, I probably wouldn't have even considered that a possibility if the op hadn't suggested it. BUT...though I managed to get past the phrase "Sunset Overhype" with a bit of a cringe, at the mention of "pro-tips" I just had to pause the video and distance myself from it. Honestly, the whole "woah look at us, we're quirky and we've got an attitude" thing didn't really bother me much at first, but the more I see of this game's marketing the more grating I find it.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By handlas

Doesn't bother me. I watched the 1st hour (on Gameinformer). Everything looks terrific. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't get good reviews and ends up being a disappointment because I'm pretty excited for it.

I guess we have to find stuff to nit-pick. I'm glad they are giving this game personality unlike their previous one.

If anything I find the actual commercial for the game to be far worse... where the character (in CGI form) is talking to you and says something like "Save the world? Of course is a f*cking video game!"... that was far more cringe-worthy.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I think it's kind of a funny idea but holy shit, I want to punch that guy in the face so bad.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I really do wonder how this game will do. I have no idea if the type of person that'd buy the Xbone over the PS4 wants a big, colourful game like this. Man, I'm super jealous that I can't play it... yet.I love the look of it, but there doesn't really seem to be any buzz surrounding this game. Maybe I'm wrong and there's a bunch of people literally about to burst with excitement for this game. As for the dude in the video... he's inoffensive *shrug* I dunno.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

This is the first game in a while where I'm purely interested in the gameplay. All this stuff doesn't affect me because I was never really interested in the story or humor. Someone mentioned that this is like some weird alternate reality where the Dreamcast became the dominant system. And come to think of it, the color palette and focus on fun really does remind me of the DC. So that's wonderful.

All I know is the Resistance 3 guys are running this, and Resistance 3 was magnificent.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By DinosaurCanada

Seems like a pretty small throwaway joke, don't see anything for a reviewer to be intimidated by.

Don't worry Sunset Overguy, I won't be using that line at the end.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By impartialgecko

@yummylee: Yup, although posting a video with the caption "holy shit this guy sucks" probably wasn't worth the effort. Insomniac are trying way too hard to get back to the irreverence that naturally emerged from the tone of the Ratchet & Clank games, especially after Volition took that shtick to the next level with Saints Row 3 onwards.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jimipeppr

I think it's a good introduction to Sunset TV. It doesn't exist yet, so they wanted to explain the feature for pre-release folx.

And yeah, "Sunset Overhype" is lazy writing. It's a joke. They're not being condescending.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I really hope every single review incorporates sunset overhype in the title now.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimipeppr: You know the best jokes are the ones where you have to say "it's a joke" for people to get that it's a joke.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It was a throwaway joke, no big deal.

Making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#19  Edited By Slag

Ugh, the marketing for this game lays it on so incredibly thick. Never been a fan of the hubristic smart ass shtick.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

It's a silly goof they shot because they probably wanted to have some kind of video in there prior to release, both for reviewers to see how the video system is going to work and, I'd guess, their own testing purposes. If anything, it just reminds me of the unit voices in the review version of Warcraft 2, some of which were replaced with silly begging for good reviews. This ain't a big deal.

(That said, if that's the tone they're going for in whatever their real videos are, I can't say I'd spend any time watching them.)

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL. I totally remember this guy, he's still so annoying i see.

Loading Video...

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombie2011: You may be right, but it annoyed me and I'm not even reviewing the game. Maybe it's just indicative of the terrible tone Insomniac have adopted for the marketing of this game.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's hardly the developers trying to tell reviewers how to do their jobs. The whole video seems more like some weird tutorial for reviewers and a preview of a feature they might not be able to try when they're reviewing the game.

Kinda annoying, but a Shadow of Mordor promo deal it ain't.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

That choice nugget blew over without too much fuss didn't it? One Jimquisition's worth of uproar and the internet went back to shouting a destitute indie developers for befriending their way into positive coverage.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

That choice nugget blew over without too much fuss didn't it? One Jimquisition's worth of uproar and the internet went back to shouting a destitute indie developers for befriending their way into positive coverage.

Yeah, I just saw it, and goddamn if that's not some fucked up shit. Those sort of deals seem to be more and more common, it's terrible.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Jeff reviews it I predict a 3 out of 5 and use of the phrase somewhere just because he can. if Brad reviews it I predict a 4 out of 5 and he will NOT use it.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it turns out good, I really do, but every single piece of marketing since the initial release has done nothing but cool me on it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#28  Edited By Hailinel

@amafi said:

I hope it turns out good, I really do, but every single piece of marketing since the initial release has done nothing but cool me on it.

Indeed. Marketing efforts like this just make me less interested in a game.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Sunset Overhype" sounds like something whiny internet turds would say just to trash on the game.

I don't necessarily approve of doing something like that but I think people are making a bigger deal out of this than it actually is.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By impartialgecko

@theht said:

@impartialgecko said:

@theht said:

Yeah, I just saw it, and goddamn if that's not some fucked up shit. Those sort of deals seem to be more and more common, it's terrible.

It's shit like that that makes me laugh whenever someone posits that Youtube personalities have supplanted game journalists. Sure there are people out there who have taken up the mantle of editorial integrity but for the most part those guys and girls are desperate for views and subscribers and will sign on any dotted line to get them.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By mike

I hope this increases usage of the term Sunset Overhype over what it would have been if Insomiac just kept quiet.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BoOzak

Wow this really shows confidence in their game. It would be better if he told reviewers not to give perfect scores because it would make other games look bad or something equally as stupid. I'm leaning more towards Lords of the Fallen the more I see of this game.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't really believe this is the ratchet team, those games are some of the few that seem effortlessly funny and vibrantly alive this seems like the exact opposite.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some alternatives:

Sunset NOverdrive

Suckset Overdrive

Sunset Overdrivel

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By damodar

GUYS, IT'S REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY, DON'T FALL FOR IT!

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@impartialgecko: I think this was more of an ill-conceived crappy joke rather than trying to guide the criticism. Implying that the dev is trying to coerce critics seems a little paranoid.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

@boozak: I'll trust CI Games to make a good game after they do so. Until that point I wouldn't put too much faith in a studio whose most successful franchise is the pretty bad Sniper series (the last two of which were subtitled Ghost Warrior or something like that to try and separate them from the earlier even more broken titles). Point being at their best I expect a workmanlike competence from CI Games. At their worst I'm lucky if I can get some of their games to make it to the title screen without crashing. They make Techland's games look like AAA polished masterpieces. Insomniac, meanwhile has a history of making excellent games. Even their worst games are more inspired than the best stuff put out by CI Games.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven10: Honestly I'd never heard of CI games before I just assumed they were a new studio but looking at their track record the odds of it being good are pretty slim.

Deck 13 isnt much better either. They do a much better job of showing off their game than Insomniac do though.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#39  Edited By Hailinel

@splodge said:

Some alternatives:

Sunset NOverdrive

Suckset Overdrive

Sunset Overdrivel

Sandtrap Overpar

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rollingzeppelin: I wasn't really implying that there was any coercion involved. It just seemed really annoying for a writer to have a game say "hey man, this joke you might be thinking of is super lame" while also being real dumb in the process.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that video certainly helped me make up my mind on what I think of the game. I'm going to treat it as if it has projectile leprosy and never play it. I managed to go from indifferent to completely uninterested. Hell of a marketing department they have there.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By noboners

I thought this game looked great based on early previews but Jesus the personality of this game makes me want to stay far, far away with it.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The marketing and PR for this game has killed any interest I have in playing it. They are trying way to hard to be cool. And its making the game look like crap.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

I was prejudiced against it in the beginning, but by the end I was shuckling. It's not bad. It's not genious, but there is honest effort put into those videos.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am getting G4 flashbacks. This reminds me of that Cheat show they used to air.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Besides the fact that it is cringe-worthy it seems like the entire point is basically say that is a place holder video for a weekly thing they are going to do.

I'm not saying they did a good job of it or anything.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#47  Edited By JoeyRavn

Sunset Overjumpcuts, more like it. Urgh.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

@boozak: Yea if CI Games know how to do anything it is to make their crap look way better than it is. Their use of the CryEngine has helped of late. Makes for pretty pictures and videos despite their games being ugly, buggy, messes when they are actually released. And I should note that Giantbomb doesn't even list all of their games. They made something like 3 first person shooters a year between 2000 and 2010. Just an insane number of nearly identical games none of which are especially good. Mind you they aren't terrible. I've played much worse. They are just super uninspired and rote and, again, often filled with a lot of bugs.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rollingzeppelin: I wasn't really implying that there was any coercion involved. It just seemed really annoying for a writer to have a game say "hey man, this joke you might be thinking of is super lame" while also being real dumb in the process.

Oh, when you wrote, "this video got me wondering whether publishers/developers are shooting themselves in the foot by telling writers how to do their job, or just ensuring writers come in with a preconceived notion about the quality of the experience they're about to have." gave me the impression that you were implying coercion.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Giant Bomb's Most Punchable Game of 2014

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.