Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Sep 18, 2020

Super Mario 3D All-Stars includes Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy on Nintendo Switch.

Am I the only one that thinks Galaxy 2 is significantly better than Galaxy 1?

DrBroel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Galaxy 1 levels mostly just feel like they came up with gimmicks for motion controls.

Each Galaxy 2 level feels like a brand new ingenious take 3D platforming.

I feel like the critical zeitgeist has grouped the two together as being equal in quality. Or even Galaxy 2 just getting forgotten.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Galaxy 2 is the best 3D Mario game, I believe. Galaxy was cool and all, but 2 took that gameplay and came up with some of the most creative levels Nintendo's ever done. I was bummed to see it excluded on the collection, but they gotta release it at some point if they're already done the work for 1.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I would bet that Nintendo will sell Galaxy 2 ~deluxe~ at some point, for 60 USD of course.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By frytup

That is not a controversial opinion.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought that this was the standard view.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: To cite a contemporary, I’d say that it’s akin to Mass Effect 1 and 2. 2 may be the superior game in many ways, you can’t discount the foundation 1 built, along with the nostalgia evoked by being the first game.

Similarly, with Galaxy 2 I objectively like it better, but the first time I played Galaxy 1 was magical.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By frymillstrum

No

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By liquiddragon

I enjoyed Galaxy 1 more. The design was super novel, they struck a good balance of pure platforming, handful of powers, and motion controls. Also, the story and hub world seemed like they at least gave a fuck. Galaxy 2 I felt like it leaned too heavily into powers and the levels weren't as fun to play. I don't think making it a little harder makes it better. It also felt more like a collection of levels and the package didn’t feel as cohesive. It was more Galaxy and I played through it and had a good time doing it but it just didn't have even close to the impact the 1st one did.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SethMode

I love both, but Galaxy 2 is a more inspired 3D Mario game, level wise I think. I'm also still shocked they made Yoshi function pretty well in 3D.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

No, I'm with you. I didn't get hooked by Galaxy and think it has a lot of bloat in its levels. SMG2 is much more laser focused and it's greater for it.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are both very, very good. I played them back-to-back so I have trouble remembering which one is which - to me they are like one very long, excellent Mario game. I'll take any excuse I can get to replay one or both of them.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No, 2 is definitely a better game. Suffered from not being the first, I suppose. Galaxy 1 was their first attempt at that idea, so it gets the novelty boost.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Galaxy 2 has Yoshi in it, which makes it a naturally inferior game. But Galaxy 1 is one of the greatest 3D platformers of all time, so there is no shame in that.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NTM

No, I feel like the consensus is that most like two more. I don't. To me, Mario Galaxy 2 felt like a glorified expansion pack to 1, which doesn't make it bad mind you. It didn't bring a whole lot new to the table to excite me, and I don't think I liked the levels or music as much. I also wish they continued on with what little story the first had going for it, in a similar but expanded way because two just felt less meaningful an adventure. That said, I played Super Mario Galaxy in 2007, and I played two in 2015 or 16. I remember I really wanted to play it on release but didn't. I bought it on the Wii U. I should say, people said two was harder, but I remember getting frustrated with one while not so much with two.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Galaxy 1 was the cream of the crop whereas Galaxy 2 was b-sides. The bowling alley levels were good in 2 but 1 had all of the best ideas.

Colmymeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember feeling emotional when I finished Galaxy. Not because of the most unexpectedly dark ending in all of video games. But because I couldn't believe Nintendo had made such a great game again. It had been 12/13 years since Mario 64 and finally Nintendo had made a better game, but how could they ever top Galaxy. Flash forward a few years and despite the recently released Red Dead Redemption and start of the World Cup there was no way I could stop playing Galaxy 2.

Turns out the team that made Donkey Kong Jungle Beat were still only warming up when they made Galaxy 1

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Galaxy is definitely my favorite of the two, but 2 is still great and an excellent companion piece to 1. It is a bit weird that they just ignored it outright.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will be less weird when they sell it to you later as a separate remaster.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sure. I'm pissed that not only Galaxy 2 won't be in that bundle but that bundle will be $60. Wtf

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not unheard of. Even the creator said he didnt wanna make mario galaxy 3 cause he was satisfied with pushing every creative idea he had into 2. It's only flaw is that their isnt enough of it. Its about half as long as 1 but throws way more creativity at you like a rollercoaster of fun that ends fast. Theres no down time and just back to back great stuff. That said im more suprised how meh abby was about the 1st game. When i finished 1 i immeditely wanted to jump into 2 if i knew 2 existed. She still thinks mario odyssey is better. Overall GB always makes me head scratch on games they bounce off of or hot takes that i never expected people to have. The mario galaxy story book brought most to tears and abby just thought it was meh or kinda weird. I guess its another to each their own.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.