Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario 64

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Jun 23, 1996

Super Mario 64 takes the Mario franchise into polygonal worlds, setting numerous standards for 3D game design along the way.

Jeff On: Emulators, Speedruns, and That Video Where the Guy Only Presses A 0.5 Times

• 143 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    No Caption Provided

Let's hear it for the deep divers. The people that are really going out there and picking apart video games in ways that most of us can only dream about. I'm talking about the speedrunners. I'm talking about the people out there hunting for new glitches in old games. The dedicated breed out there breaking games wide open. TAS fiends, manipulating memory to cause all kinds of controlled chaos in the classics. All that stuff. But I'm also talking about the people out there creating the tools necessary to let those folks dig deep into areas of games that were never meant to be seen by human eyes. Emulator authors. The folks out there contributing to open-source projects. The teams out there collecting open-source projects together and combining them into easy-to-use toolkits for people who want to stare at RAM addresses for any number of old games, be they NES, PlayStation, N64, Apple II... whatever. It's great that this stuff is out there and it's even greater that it's become a little more acceptable for discussion than it used to be.

It isn't that long ago that being out in the open about running an emulator and/or dumping some ROMs was seen as taboo. The publishers certainly frowned on it. Nintendo always had one comment that they'd give when emulation stories were sent their way for comment, and it'd usually say something like this, which is taken from their legal page:

The introduction of emulators created to play illegally copied Nintendo software represents the greatest threat to date to the intellectual property rights of video game developers. As is the case with any business or industry, when its products become available for free, the revenue stream supporting that industry is threatened. Such emulators have the potential to significantly damage a worldwide entertainment software industry which generates over $15 billion annually, and tens of thousands of jobs.

They practically equate emulation with the same people pumping out bootleg Pokemon cartridges. These days, the company seems to avoid situations where it'd have to publicly comment on such things, since doing so would likely mean a lawsuit would soon follow. Hell, these days Nintendo is making award-winning games that probably took a great deal of inspiration from ROM hacks and Flash-based remixes of their old games. Either way, the industry seems to have taken a more laissez-faire attitude towards the people who are out there, hacking away, pulling apart old games and finding the deep, dark secrets they contain.

No Caption Provided

Twitch Plays Pokemon is one such example. That's an emulator (sometimes running modified versions of Pokemon ROMs) wired up to an IRC bot and streamed out on a platform owned by Amazon. That's a far cry from the days when you used to have to hang around the darkest corners of the internet and beg people to tell you how you can play Game Boy games on your PC. Back in 1996, that was practically the only thing going. Then Pasofami dropped, iNES and NESticle weren't far behind, and emulation of old console games was officially off to the races. MAME went from emulating Pac-Man and Galaxian to eventually running Neo Geo games that were less than a week old. The lines between zero day piracy and enthusiasm for making things run on things that weren't built to run them had never been thinner. The authors of emulations saw increased interest in their projects, but a new wave of "those damned fighting game kids" flooded in with angry, poorly written support requests (which usually consisted of little more than "WHRER DO I GET ROM?!?!!??!1") and things were never really the same. Some of that has calmed down, I suppose, but these days, Wii compatibility is increasing at an insane rate. There's a PlayStation 3 emulator showing progress in a way that totally blows my mind. You can up-res your old 3DO games to see just how truly awful they've always looked. People are finally starting to tackle the original Xbox. It's a weird thing.

OK, I'll stop trying to get sidetracked by the Old Man Emulation History Hour and get to what I'm actually trying to get across. How incredible is it that someone is able to pick apart Super Mario 64 so thoroughly and completely they're able to produce this video?

You may have already seen this, it's been making the rounds for a bit now. This guy, and others before him, have torn Super Mario 64 apart in so many ways that they're able to almost warp around the world at will. And, if I'm reading this right, it's all stuff that might theoretically be possible on real hardware... though re-recording a tool-assisted movie until it's perfect probably gives you a lot more control over... all that math.

Or how about this tool-assisted Super Mario Bros. 3 video, someone basically hacked in new abilities for Mario, like a Mega Man-style shell shield and a cool Super Metroid-like speed boost, without actually hacking the ROM?

You could try to debate the value of someone devoting hours and hours to these sorts of endeavors, but I put to you that our culture is richer when people dig deep and discover every little nook and cranny of our beloved classics. Hell, even the more disgusting games of our past can be broken and glitched in interesting ways. Take this run of Takeshi no Chosenjou, where the player just kind of manipulates memory to glitch through some walls and end up in at the end of this hunk of garbage in under four minutes.

Efforts like these are an important flip side to game preservation. It's not enough that people find ways--legal or otherwise--to preserve the games of yesteryear. It's also important to me that we understand the whys and hows of their creation. The weird, rough edges that seem to exist in any game if you stare at it long enough is a part of what makes games special. And it's absolutely wonderful that we live in an age where those things can be dissected, disassembled, and studied. Considering how shaky things felt back when brand-new Neo Geo games started turning up in the MAME source code or when the CPS2 Shock crew finally decrypted all those CPS2 games (saving a bunch of dead battery arcade boards along the way), I'm almost a little surprised that things have progressed this far.

Emulation, private servers, and all this other "gray area" stuff is why I tend to not worry that much about game preservation. People have already shown that they'll do what it takes to care for old games no matter what. Obviously, it'd be better to have official, sanctioned efforts in place to preserve these things, but for now we'll just have to take what we can get. Now let's hope that someone finally figures out how to emulate The Grid. Or... the Gizmondo? Look, I just want to see some weird Momma Can I Mow The Lawn speedruns at SGDQ later this year. Is that too much to ask?

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Great read, Jeff. More writing on the site is always great!

cyberkn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By cyberkn

"Jeff On:" is a good name for a column.

Also, I agree that the best form of game preservation is the ability to replicate the game in different formats/platforms.

TimeFugitive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Great column, Jeff.

Look, I just want to see some weird Momma Can I Mow The Lawnspeedruns at SGDQ later this year. Is that too much to ask?

The gauntlet has been thrown...

norsedudetr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Jeff putting in WORK! Great stuff!

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fish On!

albedo12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyberkn:

@cyberkn said:

Better than "Jack Off" at any rate.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

You really love videogames, don't you?

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Good read. Thanks Jeff.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I watched the entirety of the 0.5x A Press video when you guys were talking about it on Twitter, and it was eye-opening. Not only in the sense that people managed to figure this stuff out, but also the forethought the developers put into the game when making it, and the things they implement to protect players from getting stuck in the world and being unable to progress. I'm glad the creator, pannenkoek2012, is a great video producer. That video and the way he is able to explain everything is impressive all around.

BizarroZoraK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It's super exciting that these intricate dissections of the mechanics and minutiae of old (and some new) games have garnered positive attention, rather than a bunch of jerks questioning how much free time people have. The discovery of debug assets and arbitrary code execution tricks really adds another layer to the fun of games for those who are willing to go that far. I've spent probably too much time reading articles on sites like tcrf.net, and it's lead to some interesting discoveries on some of my old favorite titles.

Also, the history of emulation seems pretty damn fascinating. I certainly wouldn't mind another installment of the Old Man Emulation History Hour.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Mario 64 video was amazing. That shit is why Mario 64 is probably my favorite Mario of all time. Just that era of games was so damn glitchable in the weirdest ways that it is really interesting to see in speedruns or in this case, anti-speedruns.

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TAS's and speedruns are some of the most jaw-dropping, eye-opening experiences in video games. They blur together computer engineering/science and Being Rad At Mario Or Some Other Weird Game in a way that's just astounding.

Really wish this piece was longer! Great read.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

That Mario 3 video went to a very strange place.

TheOliveG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very good read, thanks Jeff!

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Oh dude, Nesticle. And Shitman! The history of emulation is a beautiful fucking mess.

gravitypenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Let's hear it for the enthusiasts grey area and not. People putting out Dreamcast and Genesis games fifteen years or more after the fact, fan translators, homebrew authors, everyone already mentioned in Jeff's article. :D

qreedence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

Hells yeah, I've been looking forward to this since Jeff mentioned he might want to do a column. Good stuff!

EatBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you were to start writing and publishing more articles like this and the stuff Austin is doing, you would get at least one paying customer back.

Avatar image for mattoncybertron
    mattoncybertron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mattoncybertron

awesome article, thanks Jeff!

and keep it coming!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Great writeup. I love that people can do things like this with games, creating, exploiting and discovering new things in the same code that countless people have known and enjoyed for years. Not to mention the next-level mastery that speedrunners demonstrate.

I'm equally fascinated by emulation and its history, especially as a big proponent of game preservation. As legally gray as they may be, it's hard to deny their importance in making sure games aren't lost to time.

Hadoken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keep on jeffin on

veganarking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It perplexes me that people have the patience to devote the time to shit like Takeshi no Chosenjou. Man, just the psychology of it all is fascinating to me. The drive, in our newer age of irony, to throw up the middle finger to game creators and break their shit is really producing some great stuff.

Thanks for the article, Jeff.

goreyfantod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"...out there..."

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Nice article Jeff. I saw the 0.5 Super Mario 64 jumps video the other day and it is probably the most insane video game video I have ever seen. Tearing apart the game to the memory level is insane. Some games are probably more fascinating to look at than others, but seeing games dissected in that way is fascinating.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

That Mario 64 video is both super impressive and terrifying to comprehend how long it must've taken to figure all that stuff out. I love watching speedruns or videos where a game is broken wide-open (though I think I prefer ones that are more about raw execution than skipping 90% of the game through some bizarre exploit) and stuff like that wouldn't be possible without the weird grey area that comes with the emulation scene.

runtheflowers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By runtheflowers

There's a thin line between madness and ingenuity and I'm pretty sure these guys are having a competition who can do the coolest backflip over it.

moregrammarplz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great to see more of Jeff's writing on the site.

JordanaRama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Mario 64 video cracked my brain

Atom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Loved the article. Always admired the work that goes into arcade emulation and ROM dumping.

I used to write/translate for a spanish emulation site in the early 00s. Article brought back memories of Razoola's XOR CPS-2 decryption tables, Capcom arcade boards with suicide batteries, Neo Geo cart dumps and banning Rom kiddies left and right for being assholes in our forums.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Nice piece. It has been crazy to see emulators drift slowly into acceptance after following them when they were way more shady.

I don't really care about speed running or this level of glitching games at all but hey good for those who do. It's one of those crazy niche scenes that's interesting to check in on every once in a while.

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By Nime
    Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

OK - the SM64 video is one of the most fascinating things I have ever watched on the internet. Good lord- build enough speed to make Mario jump to a PARALLEL F'in UNIVERSE?!?!!?!!

deadmonkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heard about the SM3 glitch/message on another podcast. Thanks Jeff, this stuff is fascinating.

JMurph_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always love it when Jeff writes an article

Foggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

That Mario 64 video is intense.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It always makes me wonder if, once you find tricks like that, you see other games and systems differently.

niflhe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

That Super Mario 64 video is absolutely fascinating!

zorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By zorak

Thanks Jeff.

The interesting thing about emulation to me is how it really hasn't actually stopped people from buying games that are functionally emulated (see: the VC) as people are cognizant of the importance their support actually has.

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Homelessbird

Jeff On: Oratorio Tangram

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Really well-written article, Jeff.

I agree, that it would of course be cool if Publishers just went "Hey, it's perfectly fine you are doing this. Better this than games getting lost forever.", but I just don't see that happening. Money (even only potential money for stupidly old stuff) always wins out in the end for a company.

Also finally makes a statement about what GB thinks of ROMs (some people always go nuts, when you guys play them and don't specifically call out that they are in fact ROMs).

johnnymcginley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prime rib Jeff.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This Geoff Jerstmann figure is advocating the use of roms to illegally play games that are lovingly crafted by the worldwide entertainment software industry. By doing so, he is harming the industry.

I'm calling the cops.

Vaeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Oooooo, nice article Brofessor.

mrthee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already posted this comment when Austin put up his personal AGDQ highlights, but again, it really is beautiful how much you can learn about a game by breaking it apart.

sabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff On: Apply directly to the forehead.

(Great article, Jeff!)

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#48 FinalDasa  Moderator

I had just watched the 0.5 A presses video the other day at the urging of a "friend". It was fascinating and terrifying all at once. I've always toyed with the idea to study up on a game and speed run it. Not to set a world record but simply to dive deep on a game in a way I never have before. Then I see people like 0.5 A presses man and freeze with fear knowing that any kind of dive into the speed running community will be way, way too deep for me.

Good write up!

GoodlyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beautiful, Jeff.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#50  Edited By Bollard

@cyberkn said:

Also, I agree that the best form of game preservation is the ability to replicate the game in different formats/platforms.

Can have a series called "Jeff Off:" for things he dislikes, too!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.