Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario 64

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Jun 23, 1996

Super Mario 64 takes the Mario franchise into polygonal worlds, setting numerous standards for 3D game design along the way.

Jeff On: Emulators, Speedruns, and That Video Where the Guy Only Presses A 0.5 Times

• 143 results
    AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@honkalot said:

That Mario64 thing is thesis worthy stuff.

I always love reading about/watching people dedicate a huge amount of time to something like that. It's really fascinating.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By rjaylee

Thanks for this @jeff. It's fun to remember the heady emulation days back in the 90's. I still remember the first time I ever Bleem! for PC on store shelves at an Electronics Boutique (and then subsequent Bleemcast! discs for Dreamcast), and simply being blown away as if the long-time franchise was suddenly selling something incredibly illegal or something..

For those who maybe don't remember:

No Caption Provided

What a strange and wonderful world video games are.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

I could read shit like this for hours. Keep it comin', if possible.

Blister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

blach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By blach

I enjoy your writing on things you obviously care a whole lot about, thanks.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

I wouldn't mind a Gizmondo Emulator either. I really enjoyed my time with Chicane: Jenson Button Street Racing once it leaked out following the company's demise - which is a good thing since it's basically the reason I bought the damn thing (And now you begin to understand where my handle came from back in the day).

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Jeff should write a book about video games.

MarrtheBearer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great read. Would read more on the topic in this style of feature!

Copius_Hayes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole time watching the 0.5 A presses video, I'm saying to myself: "or you can just play the game". This is fun to people? How much time do you spend to find these exploits? Does your boss not care if you don't show up to work? smh

CakeTeleporter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By CakeTeleporter

@zorak: -I suspect that if the reason people pay for virtual console and psn games isn't solely because of cognizance but also because of convenience and comfort of location.

-You could almost look at the relationship emulator piracy and rereleased games have as similar to the relationship between paying and non paying customers in free to play games.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The whole time watching the 0.5 A presses video, I'm saying to myself: "or you can just play the game". This is fun to people? How much time do you spend to find these exploits? Does your boss not care if you don't show up to work? smh

a lot of the people who do this kind of stuff are programmers by trade. Its fun for them to see how the games work, plus its almost like research into programming.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let me being by saying that Jeff is a great writer.

Also, can we please talk about how the Mario video was science. I would feel confident asking that guy to put a rocket into space.

DFL017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@copius_hayes said:

a lot of the people who do this kind of stuff are programmers by trade. Its fun for them to see how the games work, plus its almost like research into programming.

There is always the argument why go to the moon when when these smart people could be curing cancer? Technological advances come from curiosity too, plus he probably has just as much fun doing this as playing the game. I know I enjoyed watching it.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just starting Final Fantasy X with hopes of finishing it and I'm stunned that the World Record of that is sub-ten hours. Its really cool when runners get an engine figured out, mind. I bet they secretly rub their hands with glee when Bethesda roll something out on old tech. Just find the right wall to clip through and you're golden.

haychew21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By haychew21

Jesus christ. That Mario 64 video is absolutely insane. It sounds like he's explaining things in a simple manner but it's still all flying over my head and now I think I'm dying.

This. I'm glad no one walked by my office while I was watching, because I'm sure my slack-jawed expression would've drawn some concerned looks. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have brain to clean out of my ears.

kleingordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed the article, @jeff. The "working on actual hardware" part is actually a bit of a sticky point - they are currently running tests to figure out the causes of some working-in-emulator-but-not-on-console crashes when using "parallel universe" techniques.

The narrator in that video is also responsible for the $1000 sm64 bug bounty, which led me to join his group of merry hackers - a really interesting, dedicated bunch.

swordmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started reading and watched that entire mario 64 video. I can't even attempt to read the rest of the article now because my head is killing me

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's really fascinating that things like this exist and people are willing to dedicate the time and effort to cracking games open in crazy ways.

For me though I'm more impressed by more 'traditional' speed runs. I can relate far easier to someone being able to execute on the known mechanics of a game than to someone breaking down the code behind the game. As someone with zero programming or code knowledge I simply can't appreciate how difficult it must be to achieve the results they do through ROM manipulation and as such I'm inherently less impressed.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b79d22eb7ed
    deactivated-58b79d22eb7ed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't agree, I think it interferes with the author's intention and that is not right. How would you like it if someone went back on GameSpot and changed your Zelda scores to 1.0 for OoT and 10.0 for TP?

futurstock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

i'm appreciative of the fact that emulators make it easier to archive/preserve games and for you guys [Giant Bomb] to have old game shows much easier than hooking up these ancient consoles to your modern video gear. fascinating to see some of these older games that still hold up.

ShyBry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By ShyBry
    @paulunga said:

Coming into this with almost no knowledge of arbitrary code execution I'm wondering how much of the stuff in the SMB 3 TAS was already in there. Was the backdoor message from Shigeru in there already? The Color-a-Dinosaur segment? I'm guessing the shinespark and turtle shield were programmed in, at least.

Still, amazing to watch.

We know those things weren't in there already because the person who put them there basically said so. For instance, he said (emphasis mine):

I thought it'd be fun to pretend that SMB3's legendary lead developer, Shigeru Miyamoto, had left an intentional "back door" hidden in the game which we had only just now discovered. Presented as an 80's style shell interface, the back door pretends to allow commands (with options) to be entered to enable the otherwise impossible happenings that follow.

If for whatever reason someone doubts this claim, it would be possible to look at the stream of controller inputs used to make the video and figure out how it encodes the "backdoor message" etc. This is all out in the open. Of course, if all we had was a Youtube video, it'd be harder to tell. Which is one of the reasons why it's good that someone is able to dig so deeply, to find out what's really there as opposed to the result of a few minutes/hours of video editing, and that the tools to do so are available to everyone. Even if only a few people will ever have the skill required to do so!

@tysonwritesel said:

I don't agree, I think it interferes with the author's intention and that is not right. How would you like it if someone went back on GameSpot and changed your Zelda scores to 1.0 for OoT and 10.0 for TP?

I'm not @jeff, but we don't have to speculate. Here, go look at the GameSpot review for OoT, open up a Javascript console (eg. ctrl-shift-i in non-Mac Firefox or Chrome will open the developer tools; from there select the console tab; Mac versions likely have different keyboard shortcuts; the F12 developer tools in IE offers something similar but I can't be bothered to confirm the exact steps right now), and paste in

document.querySelector("[itemprop=ratingValue]").innerHTML = "1.0";

Edit: <PSA>In general, you should avoid pasting arbitrary Javascript into a developer console if you don't understand it, as Bad Things could potentially happen. There's a reason Firefox no longer allows pasting Javascript into the URL bar by default any more, and instead makes you jump through the hoop of opening the developer tools. Be careful!</PSA>

There, I "changed" the review score. But, somewhat similar to ROM hacks or these newer total-control tool-assisted videos, it's easy to find out what the original was and therefore what the author's intent was. Sure, it's possible to trick someone who doesn't know better (eg. apply the "change", bring someone over and try to claim Jeff gave OoT 1.0), but also really easy to call bullshit (eg. reload the page, the "change" goes away). It'd be lousy if I tried to pass this off as the original author's intent, but I'm not, just like Lord Tom on TASVideos isn't trying to claim that the additions to SMB3 were in the original game. (As per the above quote, he did "pretend" it was in the original, but also admitted to doing so, so it's all in good fun.)

But maybe I misinterpret you, and instead of determining what the author's intention was, you're more concerned about preventing changes to the author's intent. In which case we're going to have to agree to disagree, because I'd rather be able to stand on the shoulders of giants (properly attributed, ideally!) than be forever locked into whatever someone happened to come up with years ago. (Not that fudging a review score is in any way standing on the shoulders of giants, so my analogy isn't perfect, but whatever!)

Edit: upon rereading this, perhaps the previous paragraph had too harsh a tone. Your opinion is of course valid!

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@shybry: Cool, thanks for the clarification.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Isn't the whole "parallel Mario 64 universe" just a partially applied coordinate offset?

That SMB3 thing was super crazy though, especially if you read the makers comments.

Substance_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Substance_D

Speedrunners almost seem like the archaeologists and historians of video games. It's such a new medium that not many people can major in "Video Game History" or "Video Game Museum Curator," but the fans have joined together to dedicate themselves to the games they love in order to push the game's boundaries and discover things that would never be found without thousands of hours of failure and restarting.

I think the speedrunner philosophy in general is very similar to the concept of a growth mindset (from Mindset). They run these video games because they know you have to fail over and over before you get it right and learn from your mistakes. The dedicated speedrunners don't stop streaming when they fail or when someone beats their world record. They play every day because to them it's like exercise for an athlete. You might not always make a breakthrough or feel stronger at the end of it, but it all adds up toward progress and growing a community.

Shameless @jeff Praise: To be honest, you are the main reason I still visit Giant Bomb. Yes, Vinny and Drew and everyone else is great, but its your knowledge and passion for video games that I connect with. You also seem to not have many implicit biases (sexism, racism, ageism) which is a breath of fresh air after listening to similarly themed podcasts where it runs rampant. I hope you will someday write a book or blog about your experiences in video game journalism because I find those stories fascinating.

Also, Dave Lang or John Drake should be on every episode of the Bombcast. But I realize people have schedules and those guys probably already have a fan club chasing them around.

Substance_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Substance_D

There's a thin line between madness and ingenuity and I'm pretty sure these guys are having a competition who can do the coolest backflip over it.

Dedicating your life to a sport or hobby isn't madness, so why would speedrunning be considered that? If anything, they're defining a new hobby.

FunkyFreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice article. I've been looking into trying out glitches in old games I own since seeing the TASbot and the N64 Mario video.

Last night I managed to glitch through the Door of Time in LoZ:OoT and get the Master Sword without doing all young Link dungeons. When I got through I had such a Jeff On.

Afro_Stevens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That Super Mario 3 video kinda melted my brain.

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blister Oh my god, did you make this? I'm not a math guy, so I have no idea how legitimate this is, but I lost it at "Given fixed x ∈ R, ε > 0, the collection of Scuttlebugs <math> is called a jamboree"

Peetabix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am i misunderstanding something? If a button press has 3 states when pressed and you remove one of them then its 2/3 not 1/2.

The bit when he includes the step to let go of the button then says that its not important kind of irritated me. But i suppose it depends if you class a complete press includes letting go of the button as well. Much like to say that youve been on holiday you have to come home after, otherwise your still on holiday.

I have no idea.

moofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very dope article. I do some of these things and usually catch on to stuff like this early. It's always weird seeing this blow up, but you really did represent it well. Thank you very much Jeff.

braves01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Mario video is fucking crazy. Parallel universe, qpu grids, T1-T6 triangles, de facto speeds, syncing... And I thought the game was just about coins and stars.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Hell of a read Jeff, that Mario video was ridiculous.

I like when TAS stuff is more for accuracy, and the stuff could theoretically be done by a person. I remember watching the Mario 64 TAS run at AGDQ and going "I've done that shortcut before", except it was one completion out of hundreds of tries, and only 1 step out of about 50 or so. But still, it just felt good seeing the robot do something and going "I've done that."

VirtualTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By VirtualTitan

@peetabix: You're confusing stages with states. There are 3 stages to pressing a button, press, hold, release, but only two states, pressed and not pressed. Some games have a use for the release stage of a button press. He was simply saying that sm64 doesn't. That's the regard in which he was discounting it. Not in it's value as a portion of an individual button press.

icedturtle4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

PS3 emulation? thats crazy.

trumad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Momma can I mow the lawn looks like fun. The Gizmondo could have been HUGE. But why is there an insane guy on gamefaqs posting updates to this thread every few days?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/926575-momma-can-i-mow-the-lawn/63144516

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By MillaJ

Speedrunners almost seem like the archaeologists and historians of video games. It's such a new medium that not many people can major in "Video Game History" or "Video Game Museum Curator," but the fans have joined together to dedicate themselves to the games they love in order to push the game's boundaries and discover things that would never be found without thousands of hours of failure and restarting.

I think the speedrunner philosophy in general is very similar to the concept of a growth mindset (from Mindset). They run these video games because they know you have to fail over and over before you get it right and learn from your mistakes. The dedicated speedrunners don't stop streaming when they fail or when someone beats their world record. They play every day because to them it's like exercise for an athlete. You might not always make a breakthrough or feel stronger at the end of it, but it all adds up toward progress and growing a community.

Shameless @jeff Praise: To be honest, you are the main reason I still visit Giant Bomb. Yes, Vinny and Drew and everyone else is great, but its your knowledge and passion for video games that I connect with. You also seem to not have many implicit biases (sexism, racism, ageism) which is a breath of fresh air after listening to similarly themed podcasts where it runs rampant. I hope you will someday write a book or blog about your experiences in video game journalism because I find those stories fascinating.

Also, Dave Lang or John Drake should be on every episode of the Bombcast. But I realize people have schedules and those guys probably already have a fan club chasing them around.

I think I would also like to see a Jeff book one day. He's got the history, the resume, and an interesting perspective. He could write about something; I'd read it.

jedikv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The author's intention is still there for those that want to play it as-is. This is reverse-engineering to see how and why certain parts of the game are present in that creation. Nothing particularly wrong with that.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

jpon87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great to see more writing on the site! Would like to hear more from you Jeff!

GRIMREEFZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is great stuff Jeff

cwniles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

good read. thanks for taking the time to write this article. I still have some of the old tendencies in me and tend to add a disclaimer to any emulator comment I make along the lines of "emulators are meant to be used with games you own a legal copy of blah blah blah".

Danbri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my god, The Grid. I have been trying for ages to think of that one game I played 10+ years ago in a corner of an amusement park with a keypad, joystick, and an aesthetic that reminded me of Unreal Tournament, and I have finally found it.

Jeff Gerstmann, you are a GIFT.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#143  Edited By Brackynews

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK.

No Caption Provided

3:15 on the arbitrary code TAS.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#144  Edited By Brackynews

@danbri: If you've never been to California Extreme, it's somewhere that will chain up The Grid cabinets. (Photo by me)

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
    SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching that 0.5x video reminded me of the day I gave up A level chemistry.

Hughes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally decided to read this article and I'm glad I did. I've rediscovered my fascination with speed runs lately and I especially look for runs with commentary. That SM64 video was the coolest shit and possibly the most in-depth explanation of a glitch I've seen yet. And I thought everything there was to do in SM64 had been done already.

I'd love a regular feature/series related to speed runs and TAS stuff!

thizzle7xu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK.

No Caption Provided

3:15 on the arbitrary code TAS.

I thought the same thing, but it's not real. They hacked that in. http://tasvideos.org/4961S.html

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very cool article. A bit late, but I really like these kind of write ups. Not super into speed runs myself, but more interested into the work that goes into them!

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@turambar said:
    No Caption Provided

That's an awesome image. If that's your work, very nice job.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.