Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Advance

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 21, 2001

A remake of the classic Super Mario Bros. 2 that was originally released on NES with updated visuals and sound for the Game Boy Advance.

Super Mario Advance - The Best Mario game?

HoboZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Super Mario Advance is the greatest Mario game ever made. Behold the following:

1. Diversity - Choose your character from a diverse array of characters and backgrounds. Struggling immigrant Mario. Empowered woman Peach. Fungal-American Toad. And that Luigi bastard.

2. Gambling - For the first time, players collect gold coins not for some vague promise of extra lives, but for something that actually matters: SLOTS! James Coburn would be proud.

Winning secrets, etc.
    Winning secrets, etc.

3. Adaptive Enemy AI - This game has it all: enemies who move, enemies who hop, and enemies who hop AND move!

4. F*cking Rockets - Rocket ships that you pull out of the ground.

5. Stats! - Yes, stats! Ever wondered who has more upper body strength, Mario or Toad? Wonder no more, with canonical stats for each character!

6. POW blocks - Crush your enemies with this true throwback weapon

7. Sweet, sweet gypsy jazz music - Seriously, take your "wah, wah"s and shove em right up your treble clef. Check this out:

8. Robirdo:

You know the thing about Robirdo, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye...
    You know the thing about Robirdo, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye...

9. Voice Acting - That's right, full voice acting! Hear Birdo taunt the player! Hear Mario cry out for his mother at the moment of death (not kidding)! Hear Toad scream and scream and scream....

"Piece of the cake."? Really, Luigi? You make me sick.

10. No suits/power ups - No Fire Flowers, no Capes, no over-sized green wind-up boots. Just Mario (or Peach, etc) against the world, with nothing but his wits and whatever makeshift weapons he can pull from the cold, unforgiving earth. It's Mario OSP.

It's at least better than that Yoshi's Island garbage.

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
    deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nah dawg Super Mario 3

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Super Mario Advance is amazing. Easily the best version of SMB2.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

You might be onto something. World's my favorite game of all time, but there's a lack of diversity...

Gotta reshuffle my list!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#5  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Mario 2 is a solid game, but it's no Super Mario World.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

Apart from every other Super Mario Advance game, you may be on to something...

Oh wait.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Super Mario Advance was fun, but Super Mario Advance 2 is the best one because it has Super Mario World in it.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

played NES Remix 2 recently and you know what? SMB2 is freakin awesome. I don't care what anyone says. I actually think it might be my favorite... erhm... 2D platformer that happens to star Mario... OF ALL TIME

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By ShadowKnight508

Of all of the Mario games on the Game Boy Advance, Super Mario Advance is my 2nd favorite of the trio of games that I owned and played in the early 2000's. Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World tops the list, with Super Mario Advance 3: Super Mario Bros. 3 taking the bottom spot in the trilogy.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Not even the best handheld Mario game.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Super Mario Advance was fun, but Super Mario Advance 2 is the best one because it has Super Mario World in it.

This man knows what's up. Added bonus for being a Dolphins fan.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Goddamnit, I will not have another human besmirch Super Mario World by not actively promoting it as the best Mario game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.